doctor vs. engineer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

what do u guys think is better. How difficult is it to make it to senior engineer?

Members don't see this ad.

both are easy if you work hard....

Chankovsky said:
what do u guys think is better. How difficult is it to make it to senior engineer?
It's possible you'll find some bias in your sampling; so says I.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the majority of people on here would choose medicine... THIS IS A PREMED FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

It depends on what interests you which is easier/better. I was actually originally engineering, then decided I hate computers (computer engineering) as a job. I really thought about the type of things I would enjoy / what makes me happy / what I would like to do day in and day out.

dopaminophile said:
It's possible you'll find some bias in your sampling; so says I.

Ummm....yeah I'd go with doctor.

doctors are scientists who can't do math

internet said:

,applied physics and coding.

internet said:

I totally hate math, no need for such a trivial subject

Blue Scrub said:

So you thiink math is of little significance? You've got to be kidding.

Blue Scrub said:

Dude...just stick to your Liberal Arts

i was being sarcastic guys... math is honestly one of the most beneficial, useful, practical, and necessary subjects for all mankind...we wouldn't be anywhere without it... but im not good at it, at least the more advanced math topics, so that's why i joked about it....

You know damn well where to shove your calculus.

Members don't see this ad :)
internet said:
Hey, speak for yourself. I can do maths, but I can't do physics. Go figure.

ramblinwreckie said:
medicine: good
engineering: evil
No, it's medicine good. Law evil. Engineering crazy.

Yes I agree. Why not do both. You can get into a dual degree program that has both, a MD/PhD program. Do the MD and specialize in something like radiology. The PhD program can be in biomedical engineering, specifically researching medical imagining devices or something like that. Either way, big bucks.

Chankovsky said:

There is no such thing as "Senior Engineer," at least not as a formally recognized rank or pay grade in the engineering world.

In some engineering specialties, particularly Civil and Industrial Engineering, it is important to get professional registration. In most states this involves five years of practice as an "Engineer in Training" (EIT) under the supervision of a registered engineer at which point you can take the Professional Engineering Licensing Exam. (Sort of like the Bar Exam for lawyers or the Step Tests for physicians.)

In every state, I believe, no engineer who is not professionally registered can legally "hang out his shingle" and call himself an "Engineer." This is probably not as strictly enforced for software and other "low risk" engineering specialties but it is the rule of law for Civil Engineers on who's work the safety of the public rests.

I was a structural engineer and could only go into business for myself when I got registered. From a liability point of view nobody would ensure me until I did.

So "Senior Engineer" is meaningless. I was the "Senior Engineer" at my firm but it was just me and a couple of part-time design draftsmen. You can be a sixty-year-old "Senior Engineer" at an old, poorly run engineering firm and make a terrible salary or you can be a young, highly motivated, "Senior Engineer" at your own firm and cut a wide swath in your particular niche.

Sincerely,

Panda Bear, PE Civil Engineering

Panda Bear said:
There is no such thing as "Senior Engineer," at least not as a formally recognized rank or pay grade in the engineering world.

In some engineering specialties, particularly Civil and Industrial Engineering, it is important to get professional registration. In most states this involves five years of practice as an "Engineer in Training" (EIT) under the supervision of a registered engineer at which point you can take the Professional Engineering Licensing Exam. (Sort of like the Bar Exam for lawyers or the Step Tests for physicians.)

In every state, I believe, no engineer who is not professionally registered can legally "hang out his shingle" and call himself an "Engineer." This is probably not as strictly enforced for software and other "low risk" engineering specialties but it is the rule of law for Civil Engineers on who's work the safety of the public rests.

I was a structural engineer and could only go into business for myself when I got registered. From a liability point of view nobody would ensure me until I did.

So "Senior Engineer" is meaningless. I was the "Senior Engineer" at my firm but it was just me and a couple of part-time design draftsmen. You can be a sixty-year-old "Senior Engineer" at an old, poorly run engineering firm and make a terrible salary or you can be a young, highly motivated, "Senior Engineer" at your own firm and cut a wide swath in your particular niche.

Sincerely,

Panda Bear, PE Civil Engineering
you got some pretty damn good grammar for an engineer. hhaha. I'm a biomed engineer (without the PE) but it's definately helpful. they say engineers do better than the other majors in the 3rd and 4th years.

internet said:

really? i love math... and i'm a bio major. it is kinda weird how things worked out. i love math and chemistry the most, yet i am a biotechnology major.... go figure.

ramblinwreckie said:
medicine: good
engineering: evil

Absolutely! And as a math major, I must object to the bastardization of my beautiful theoretical subject. Engineers leave my splendiferous calculus alone! Let it be infinately precise and free of friction and levers and accuracy and whatnot.

Chankovsky said:

i believe being a doctor is better, in terms of job security, respect from other peers...

it seems like technology is changing so rapidly, engineers have to learn new things everyday to be competitive.

doctors... well we also have to, but there always will be people who are sick.

Without Wax said:
i believe being a doctor is better, in terms of job security, respect from other peers...

it seems like technology is changing so rapidly, engineers have to learn new things everyday to be competitive.

doctors... well we also have to, but there always will be people who are sick.

Engineers are pretty well-respected. I am of course talking about "Real" engineers such as Civil, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, and Chemical Engineers.

I never had anybody turn up their nose at me when they found out I was an engineer. In fact, I think that one of the few professions which is universally respected other than the military and medicine is engineering.

The only thing that seemed to impress any of my interviewers on the residency interview trail was my engineering background. (I mean, I'm a decent enough applicant but nothing in my medical school career jumps out and grabs ya'.)

Panda Bear said:
Engineers are pretty well-respected. I am of course talking about "Real" engineers such as Civil, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, and Chemical Engineers.

I never had anybody turn up their nose at me when they found out I was an engineer. In fact, I think that one of the few professions which is universally respected other than the military and medicine is engineering.

The only thing that seemed to impress any of my interviewers on the residency interview trail was my engineering background. (I mean, I'm a decent enough applicant but nothing in my medical school career jumps out and grabs ya'.)

yeah but Homer Simpson is also a nuclear engineer (safety inspector or something), so enough said. :D

seth03 said:
yeah, well dr. nick is also a physician, enough said.

well Dr.Hibbert is the official doctor.
Dr.Nick Riviera does not have medical license, I think