Doctors doing Startups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'd like a little advice. I've always been an entrepreneur with lots of business ideas. I recently finished residency and I have started working with a new telehealth startup. I was brought on as CMO and partner. We have been working like crazy for the past 6 months to get it off the ground and we hope to start seeing patients some time next month. Of course, I've been paid $0 since the start of this project. In startups, nothing is guaranteed. If it goes as planned, it could be a multi-million dollar venture, or it could just fail big. I'm prepared for both possibilities.

I have noticed that not earning an income takes a big psychological toll on me. It makes me depressed to be an attending physician, working so hard, sacrificing so much, all while making $0 with no benefits. Don't get me wrong, I am not the type to ever work for somebody else and I love my freedom, but I just need to start earning.

I'm looking for ideas on how I can make money on the side. Keep it mind it's difficult to do locum tenens because I live in a major city. Also, my city has more doctors per capita than anywhere else in the USA. It's also very hard to get a job at an Urgent Care here because there is so much competition. Also, they make you commit to at least 3 shifts per week. I'd have to drive at least 90 minutes away in order to get any locum tenens gig that pays somewhat reasonably. I also signed up to do independent medical consults but no gigs have come my way yet.

What else can I do? I've thought about consulting but I don't even know how to get started doing that. I can't do any telemedicine because that would be a conflict of interest.

I'd appreciate any input you have! Thank you!
 
Hopefully it'll be a short sprint (less than 6-8 months) before your start-up starts pulling in revenue and can start paying you. In the start-up world, anything more than 1 year is an eon and I'd start worrying whether the company's founders/leadership team has their heads screwed on straight. Entrepreneurship requires assuming some risk, but unless you've got 1 year of living expenses set aside, they really should be paying you at least a literal living wage. Good start-ups that are well-funded and well-planned do. If you really needed the money, a base salary could be written into your contract in addition to equity.

You've got 2 major directions: healthcare or consulting. If you network with private practice owners, you might be able to get them to take you on for just 2-3 days a week for an agreed upon hourly wage - kind of like dental associates. Alternatively, if you don't mind stepping down a notch and assuming NP or PA work, you might be able to get a medical center to let you job share for less than half time or work exclusively weeknights or weekends when you're not working on your start-up.

Alternatively, you'll need to network like crazy with project managers at all the major consulting firms. If they need extra hands on a project they overbooked with a client, they could give you temp roles for the duration of the project, usually 6-12 weeks. If you don't know anybody in the industry, you'll need to cold-call and be ready with your elevator pitch. You'll have better luck with firms specializing in the healthcare/pharma/biotech industries. Do a little digging before you contact them.

Good luck!