Jun 11, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Hi! I will be starting medical school this upcoming summer and was curious about MD's in the Pharmaceutical Industry.

Three questions:

1) Is it realistic to practice clinically (even if it's one or two days a week) AND also be involved in drug development research?
2) If so, what steps would I have to start taking during medical school in terms of research, internships, dual degrees?
3) What are the various careers for MD's in the pharma industry?

I would also love to hear from any MD's in pharma and what their work involves/how they got there.

Thank you in advance!

LookForZebras

2+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
Congrats and good luck with med school! Yes, it's realistic to practice clinically for certain pharma positions. Most physicians in pharma that I've met, though, are no longer doing clinical work on a regular basis. Probably the most common way to combine clinical work and drug development research is in academia. Many university-based specialty physicians are involved in clinical trials. These doctors are typically employed by the hospital or academic institution, though, rather than the pharma company itself.

Here's an article from my blog about pharmaceutical career options for physicians. I think one of the neatest jobs for physicians in pharma is in drug safety and pharmacovigilance - it really uses your medical knowledge and requires you to apply it to a clinical situation.

OP
P
Jun 11, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Congrats and good luck with med school! Yes, it's realistic to practice clinically for certain pharma positions. Most physicians in pharma that I've met, though, are no longer doing clinical work on a regular basis. Probably the most common way to combine clinical work and drug development research is in academia. Many university-based specialty physicians are involved in clinical trials. These doctors are typically employed by the hospital or academic institution, though, rather than the pharma company itself.

Here's an article from my blog about pharmaceutical career options for physicians. I think one of the neatest jobs for physicians in pharma is in drug safety and pharmacovigilance - it really uses your medical knowledge and requires you to apply it to a clinical situation.
Thank you very much! The article you have linked was excellent. I appreciate the information.