Doctors in Training - worth it? Anybody recently use it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted some current opinions on the subject of using DIT........

I was wondering if it is more than reading FA to you. I like the idea of having someone help me with a plan and providing that structure. I also like the idea of the 800 or so bucks I can save.

But, I would gladly pay that for a 20 pt increase. I really want around a 230-240. Not doing anything competitive..

Thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

Using the DIT13. I like it. I like that it helps integrate the material. They don't just read off FA to you like the older versions. They go through the material and hit on the high yield topics. Of course, there is a lot of over-lap with the FA language but they don't just read it off to you. I like that they add in things to help you formulate an overall big picture.

I also appreciate that it helps me stay on task and provides a structure for you.

Hope this helps

Reactions: 1 user
First of all I wish you a successful step 1 study journey. The decision whether to choose a program to help organize studying step 1 is very confusing to many. On one hand I am sure you want a structure for your studying, but still don't want to waste time and money in case the program turns out to be incompatible. To make the right decision I want you to ask upperclassmen who took the program about their opinion from A to Z. Ask more than one. Some might find it helpful while others might hate it completely. Make sure to ask people who are compatible with your study style and knowledge to get a good comparison. Next step is to assess the program by trying it. You need to check at least one lecture so you can now if the way they are presenting is beneficial to you. I, personally hated the way the main instructor is practically reading notes with a fast pace. I did not find him engaging and farther than clarity than Anything I've seen. The course is organized in a certain order put by them. The pace of the lectured, to me, is more suitable to a revision than a comprehensive board study. They have a guide that you will follow in that sometimes fill in some gaps in First Aid. Other times mistakes in FA go unnoticed. There are some funny/engaging clips and quizzes to keep you in the mood. Finally, they can help you set a custom schedule and they offer other personalized services.
As a conclusion, please watch a sample before purchasing the course! Good luck!

I know a good percentage of folks above me used it and many have signed up for it in my class. I wanted to have my friend and I do the same thing mainly to both keep us on task and have some competitive drive. I am not a fan of Kaplan. Firecracker seems too much. My friend wants to use a program and I can see the benefit. Those are the only ones I know about really. I plan to use FA 2013, UWorld, and Pathoma mainly. I tried too many sources on the MCAT and I know that hurt me. So, I am trying to know what I know very well. I am an average student and not genius level like many on here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try and see if you can watch a video. I watched one and wasn't really impressed. It felt like someone was reading FA out loud to me.

If you feel like that will help you cover the material at least once, then it might be a good idea.

It really isn't just someone reading FA out to you, although that is a part of it. SDN members are mostly highly driven and don't require the structure provided by DIT, but if you feel like it'd help you, go for it. If I had $800 to burn, I'd actually hire someone who had scored 260+, ask them to help build a plan specific to my needs and help me keep on top of it, but I don't :(

I have the self motivation just not a great standardized test taker. More around average. And now with the passing score increase and average increase in the upper 220's, I am just a little worried. I was really hoping to put in the work and get a 230-240. But, I am not sure I can do that by myself. I might need some of the tricks they use and have someone teach/read me FA. Like I said if it gets me that 10-20 pts I am happy.