Doctors Reviewing Pharmacist's Articles?

Started by Darklord
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Darklord

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
pharmacistwritten1.jpg


What the hell. I found this while writing a research paper on http://www.medicinenet.com/acetaminophen/article.htm.

Since when do they know more than us about drugs?

I'm a high school student who was recently admitted into a 0-6 pharmacy program by the way.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're just advertising so people can feel all warm and fuzzy knowing they have doctors AND pharmacists! You cant really sell a medical advice help site these days without the word doctor, can you??
 
summary

- physicians have less knowledge about drugs comparing to pharmDs.

- people are stupid but they keep you paid

- I have a strong dislike of physicians.

-also, we are WAY smarter than normal people


Nope just TROLL med students who seem to keep finding ways to post on the pharmacy forum.....
 
summary

- physicians have less knowledge about drugs comparing to pharmDs.

- people are stupid but they keep you paid

- I have a strong dislike of physicians.

-also, we are WAY smarter than normal people

Hmm... I have enjoyed my relationship with my doctors over the years. They're good at what they do. But I had one of them point blank tell me that he hated biochemistry when he was in college/medical school. I've had other doctors tell me they don't know the best way to take a medication and told me to check with the pharmacist. I've also had pharmacists tell me they have no idea why I have sinus pain, it sounds like it could be a sinus infection, and to go to the doctor.

People in the med forums have already said something to you about respecting each other's professions and talents. Medical doctors get frustrated at each other (from what I've heard, cardiologists and neurologists disagree about the benefits and harms with anti-coagulants). Pharmacists and doctors occasionally disagree, too. All in the medical field have different training and therefore occasionally come at problems different ways.

But I really see no point to you posting in these pharm forums except that you want to make yourself seem better and more important than pharmacists (and be right on the internet, for that matter). If we had wanted to become doctors, we would have. We want to be medicine experts instead. Eventually, you'll be diagnosing people, prescribing drugs to them, and then send them off to a pharmacist who can make sure they won't have any interactions with drugs prescribed by other doctors and also take the time to counsel them how best to take the medication in ways you don't have time for. We as pharmacists (or future pharmacists) respect that you want to diagnose patients. Please, in turn, respect us for wanting to be pharmacists (or already being pharmacists) and our areas of expertise.
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
summary

- physicians have less knowledge about drugs comparing to pharmDs.

- people are stupid but they keep you paid

- I have a strong dislike of physicians.

-also, we are WAY smarter than normal people

Did you switch your status from "class of 2013" to "Medical student" to really show us who is boss?? I am not convinced at this point.
 
You are listed as pre-pharmacy, I don't think anyone should take your post seriously, not even Handy....If we should, why?

Because obviously only someone who is a pharmacy resident has any idea of what pharmacy is. ;-)

I'm actually a sixth year grad student in molecular biology about to get a PhD who decided to switch to pharmacy a few years ago. I've been exploring the field a lot (to make sure that this is what I really wanted to do), and I've been accepted into the class of 2013 at the University of Washington.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because obviously only someone who is a pharmacy resident has any idea of what pharmacy is. ;-)

I'm actually a sixth year grad student in molecular biology about to get a PhD who decided to switch to pharmacy a few years ago. I've been exploring the field a lot (to make sure that this is what I really wanted to do), and I've been accepted into the class of 2013 at the University of Washington.

Are you really sure?
 
i love the bickering that goes on here, its really awful

in my opinion

specialists knows the most (i suppose this includes the 2 yr residency pharmacy cats)

then pharmd

then fam practice guys

however, in writing or in practice, its always best to collaborate to get the best info out there
 
What in the hell do you mean by "us"? You are in high school...Your answer does not matter, actually.

Yeah you now adcoms just randomly give out seats to people who they like right. It's not like we have to know a thing about pharmacy before they let us in? 🙂 (sarcasm)

Anyway, I thought other forums (podiatry) were bad, but unfortunately, you guys are just as bad as they are. Why can't we all just be one big pharmacy family: the prepharms, pharmacy students, residents, ect.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought about the picture. Instead, I get "You're opinion doesn't matter because you're not a pharmacist!" Why can't we all just learn to respect each other as people (unless someone starts trolling, lol), instead of being demeaning jerks. In fact, health professions should possess more of this personal relation and caring more than other professions. I mean how are you going to relate to your patients if you just look at their credentials all day.

"I have chest pain"
"You're a crack dealer, you're probably lying-just trying to get a hospital bed"
"But it really hurts"
"Sure it does- you can leave"
"Patient dies"
"Whoops "

:laugh: Of course you cannot deny anyone medical attention, but still.
 
i love the bickering that goes on here, its really awful

in my opinion

specialists knows the most (i suppose this includes the 2 yr residency pharmacy cats)

then pharmd

then fam practice guys

however, in writing or in practice, its always best to collaborate to get the best info out there

I'd say the specialists, either as a MD or a PharmD, know the most about their particular area. But in some cases, a general practitioner will have a wider breadth of knowledge.

The same goes in research. I always laugh when my family asks my opinion on some random area of biology. I know a lot about diabetes, atherosclerosis, and cell culture. When it comes to something like stem cells, I read the same articles you do in the newspaper. I may understand it a little better (and can tell when the journalists have no idea what they're talking about), but my area of expertise is definitely not stem cells!
 
It would be nice, Darklord, if instead of committing a logical fallacy and attacking a particular person's credentials, people actually agreed or disagreed with the arguments that person was making. But this is the internet, after all.
 
Yeah you now adcoms just randomly give out seats to people who they like right. It's not like we have to know a thing about pharmacy before they let us in? 🙂 (sarcasm)

Anyway, I thought other forums (podiatry) were bad, but unfortunately, you guys are just as bad as they are. Why can't we all just be one big pharmacy family: the prepharms, pharmacy students, residents, ect.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought about the picture. Instead, I get "You're opinion doesn't matter because you're not a pharmacist!" Why can't we all just learn to respect each other as people (unless someone starts trolling, lol), instead of being demeaning jerks. In fact, health professions should possess more of this personal relation and caring more than other professions. I mean how are you going to relate to your patients if you just look at their credentials all day.

"I have chest pain"
"You're a crack dealer, you're probably lying-just trying to get a hospital bed"
"But it really hurts"
"Sure it does- you can leave"
"Patient dies"
"Whoops "

:laugh: Of course you cannot deny anyone medical attention, but still.

You are a tool, plain and simple. 👎
 
You are a tool, plain and simple. 👎

Why do you think he's being a tool, out of curiosity? When someone calls him a high school student and tells him that therefore his opinion doesn't matter is really no different from a doctor saying a pharmacist is not nearly as important as a doctor is.

People in high school don't have the experience that someone older does. People in pharmacy school don't have the experience that a pharmacist about to retire does. Being less experienced doesn't mean that someone's opinion doesn't matter, nor should they be called a tool after being upset about someone disregarding them.
 
I'd say the specialists, either as a MD or a PharmD, know the most about their particular area. But in some cases, a general practitioner will have a wider breadth of knowledge.

The same goes in research. I always laugh when my family asks my opinion on some random area of biology. I know a lot about diabetes, atherosclerosis, and cell culture. When it comes to something like stem cells, I read the same articles you do in the newspaper. I may understand it a little better (and can tell when the journalists have no idea what they're talking about), but my area of expertise is definitely not stem cells!

tats wat i meant, the meds in a specialists field, they know the most bout those
 
Because obviously only someone who is a pharmacy resident has any idea of what pharmacy is. ;-)

I'm actually a sixth year grad student in molecular biology about to get a PhD who decided to switch to pharmacy a few years ago. I've been exploring the field a lot (to make sure that this is what I really wanted to do), and I've been accepted into the class of 2013 at the University of Washington.

I am very proud of you for almost getting your PhD. I was once highly regarded in organic chemistry, here is the problem, nobody cares!! I also do not care if you think you have an opinion, but you do not have the right to use the word "we" when talking about Pharmacists when you ARE IN THE CLASS OF 2013!!!!! That is all.
 
Last edited:
Anyway, I thought other forums (podiatry) were bad, but unfortunately, you guys are just as bad as they are. Why can't we all just be one big pharmacy family: the prepharms, pharmacy students, residents, ect.

I wish you would go be a podiatrist...seriously.
 
I am very proud of you for almost getting your PhD. I was once highly regarded in organic chemistry, here is the problem, nobody cares!! I do not care if you think you have an opinion, but you do not have the right to use the word "we" when talking about Pharmacists when you ARE IN THE CLASS OF 2013!!!!! That is all.

Fine, I added "or future pharmacists" after "we as pharmacists." Please forgive the error. I was summing up what had been said before, and I should have said something along the lines of we in the pharmacy profession.

I do not think I am a pharmacist by any stretch of the imagination, and I am not planning on changing my status to pharmacy student until I'm actually there, or at least this summer, when hopefully I'll be an intern somewhere.
 
a quick read of this thread gives the answer of why pharmacists have no lobbying power...they are too busy fighting amongst each other
 
you're forgetting one big point everyone...

1) doctors review pharmacists' articles
2) pharmacists review doctors' prescriptions

arright, we're even, let's lock this baby up
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
a quick read of this thread gives the answer of why pharmacists have no lobbying power...they are too busy fighting amongst each other

ROFL, this is true.


I wish you would go be a podiatrist...seriously.

I don't know yet. As a pharmacist, I will have to review podiatrists' prescriptions. But could you please expound on why you think I shoul be a podiatrist?
 
People in the med forums have already said something to you about respecting each other's professions and talents.

thank you! I am only post in threads where there is severe undertone of obvious disrespect toward physician and/or other health care professionals. Stop dissing the profession of physicians if you don't want to see my sarcasm.

I don't mean to troll. But I can't control what I say when a group of people troll another profession as a whole.
 
thank you! I am only post in threads where there is severe undertone of obvious disrespect toward physician and/or other health care professionals. Stop dissing the profession of physicians if you don't want to see my sarcasm.

I don't mean to troll. But I can't control what I say when a group of people troll another profession as a whole.


oh the md forums never do that do they.....
 
thank you! I am only post in threads where there is severe undertone of obvious disrespect toward physician and/or other health care professionals. Stop dissing the profession of physicians if you don't want to see my sarcasm.

I don't mean to troll. But I can't control what I say when a group of people troll another profession as a whole.

I'd suggest you learn to control it. I'd be surprised if you didn't have a classmate or two that you described as less than what you hoped you'd see represent your profession. I know I have classmates like that. Well, some of those people graduate med school every year and pharmacists have to deal with them like it or not. It's something we get to talk about in OUR forum.
 
thank you! I am only post in threads where there is severe undertone of obvious disrespect toward physician and/or other health care professionals. Stop dissing the profession of physicians if you don't want to see my sarcasm.

I don't mean to troll. But I can't control what I say when a group of people troll another profession as a whole.
kleenex.jpg