Doctors who dont care where the symptons come from. .. .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Aznfarmerboi

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone ever met a doctor or a health professional that doesn’t care about how a person got the symptoms as long as they treat it? I never got that. If the person got lead poisoning from his house, what good is it to treat them and then send them back?
 
Aznfarmerboi said:
Has anyone ever met a doctor or a health professional who doesnt care how a person got the symptons as long as they treat it? I never got that. If the person got lead poisoning from his house, what good is it to treat them and then send them back?


i hate when health professionals just do the minimum it takes to make them feel like they fulfilled their role and could give a rat's ass about the actual health of the patient... how unprofessional. 👎
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Aznfarmerboi said:
Has anyone ever met a doctor or a health professional who doesnt care how a person got the symptons as long as they treat it? I never got that. If the person got lead poisoning from his house, what good is it to treat them and then send them back?

Actually, I was having this discussion on the psych forum which reflected my experiences with ER & acute mental health disorders. The experience I was commenting on was a long term addiction of a health care provider who for whatever reasons had abused medication. The request was for a psych consult & acute detox consult. In this case...they don't care what led up to the abuse & resulting addiction - they have to give specific information about detoxing & acute tx based on the mental health diagnostic criteria they see at the time. The long term rehabilitation is for a different group of providers, unfortunately for our system!!!
 
I can honestly say that it happens A LOT!.
Sometimes I feel the doctors just want you out of there. Specially if you are young. They assume you are generally healthy, give some general over the counter stuff, and send you home.
I takes several trips with similar complaints sometimes for them to start tests and to get a real diagnoses.
Mine didn't know what this rash in the back of my neck was.
She said to use the otc cortizone cream. After several weeks I diagnosed myself: (drum role please!)
pediculosis

Those darn school kids!
 
ALL THE TIME!

I had a horrible rash which the dermatologist couldn't diagnose. I almost didn't want to go back to school because this rash was so painful. I was already missing a ton of work. He just gave me some steroids (after my GP gave me a ton of antibiotics) and told me it was definitely NOT related to food, and that it "could or could not" happen again. Gee... I coulda said that myself 🙄 about the 50%-50% chance of it happening again. I later found out (self-diagnosed) that it was because I have a new intolerance to wheat and milk! The doctors were of no help in my case, and I went to quite a few. 😡 I find that most of the time, at least in my case, all they care about is masking the symptoms instead of actually finding out what is causing them so that you are "cured." I guess if you're cured, you won't keep coming back to them and they won't keep making money off of you. :meanie: That's my rant for the day.
 
starsweet said:
ALL THE TIME!

I had a horrible rash which the dermatologist couldn't diagnose. I almost didn't want to go back to school because this rash was so painful. I was already missing a ton of work. He just gave me some steroids (after my GP gave me a ton of antibiotics) and told me it was definitely NOT related to food, and that it "could or could not" happen again. Gee... I coulda said that myself 🙄 about the 50%-50% chance of it happening again. I later found out (self-diagnosed) that it was because I have a new intolerance to wheat and milk! The doctors were of no help in my case, and I went to quite a few. 😡 I find that most of the time, at least in my case, all they care about is masking the symptoms instead of actually finding out what is causing them so that you are "cured." I guess if you're cured, you won't keep coming back to them and they won't keep making money off of you. :meanie: That's my rant for the day.

Omg! Me too. I had two chronic rashes about 5 to 6 cm on both sides of my face. I also had a few rashes on my left ear and on my neck. My dermatologist charged me about 150 dollars per session over the course of 6 months and over 300 dollars on lab fees and tests. The best thing that he could come up with is randomly experimenting different steroids and non steroids on me. I finally gave up but one night self diagnosis myself. I figured that it was coming from chemicals leak in my cell phone LCD screen (explaining why the two chronic rashes on both sides of my face are so different in the location) and that the rashes on my neck are from the radiation. (The doctor ruled out fungi and I figured it wasn’t a food allergic reaction since there was no rash running linear to my blood arteries. veins). I stopped using my cell phone and my rashes on my neck and ear are gone. My face still has two chronic rashes that but at least it’s not all crusty from reoccurring straph infection.
 
Aznfarmerboi said:
Omg! Me too. I had two chronic rashes about 5 to 6 cm on both sides of my face. I also had a few rashes on my left ear and on my neck. My dermatologist charged me about 150 dollars per session over the course of 6 months and over 300 dollars on lab fees and tests. The best thing that he could come up with is randomly experimenting different steroids and non steroids on me. I finally gave up but one night self diagnosis myself. I figured that it was coming from chemicals leak in my cell phone LCD screen (explaining why the two chronic rashes on both sides of my face are so different in the location) and that the rashes on my neck are from the radiation. (The doctor ruled out fungi and I figured it wasn’t a food allergic reaction since there was no rash running linear to my blood arteries. veins). I stopped using my cell phone and my rashes on my neck and ear are gone. My face still has two chronic rashes that but at least it’s not all crusty from reoccurring straph infection.

Wow! I feel somewhat vindicated now. But wait, you said you ruled out a food allergy because it the rash wasn't linear to your arteries/veins. So is this always the case for food allergies, that if you get a rash it will be in some sort of pattern? That is interesting, because the first time it happened, I DID have a line of rashes and they were symmetrical (on each side of my body).

By the way, MY doc wouldn't even do any tests/biopsies because it was "unnecessary"! Yeah, just like my painful rashes were unnecessary. What a waste of time. 🙄

Did you get the staph from the phone too?