Doctors Without Borders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leaverus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love anesthesiology - it's the perfect gig for me. But right now i'm feeling a little unfulfilled for some reason. I've been thinking about doing a brief stint with MSF. But it's a big step which i'm a little scared to take; plus obviously, it won't pay the bills - although i can manage if my commitment would be for only a few weeks and not several months. Anyone of you guys have any personal experience? If so, please share, good or bad. Thnx.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might check out Operation Smile. Great organization, and you start off by committing to very short period (weeks) compared to MSF.

according to MSF's website, they will accept anesthesiologists for a minimum of 4-6weeks because of the demand. but i'll check out OS as well, thnx.

i took 5 years of french in HS/college many, many years ago so i'm very rusty and never learned any medical jargon but i'm sure i could brush up...

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone here actually done MSF? It would be totally cool....well, except for the possibly getting raped/kidnapped/blown up by an IED part.

Are they back in Afghanistan? Last I heard they left in a huff about 9 or 10 years ago. If they're back, good for them, I guess. Regardless, I sure as hell wouldn't go to the Middle East without a bunch of friends with guns. Pick another continent, needy people are everywhere.