Doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2024 or 5 ?

Reaction score
In the past I know it really helped if you had a doctor you knew.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow doctor's kid here. I was told that it came down to how I talked about it. As long as it was clear that I wasn't pursuing medicine just because I had a doctor parent or because I felt pressure to do so, I was told that it wouldn't hurt or help me. Many of my classmates have physician parents.

Reactions: 2 users
In the past I know it really helped if you had a doctor parent. Now, with the emphasis on diversity, will this actually hurt my chances? I talked about it in my essay.
What do you mean by this

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
I also noticed that you edited the title of this thread to capitalize the "P;" any reason for doing that?

• Okay...
You know what they call the doctor who graduates at the bottom of their medical school class...a doctor

P = MD

Reactions: 1 users
The only times it seems to have a negative impact are when applicants use it poorly. Like, say, all of their clinical experience is working with their parents. Or letters are written by a parent/close friend, rather than someone who knows them through their own work. Or their personal statement centers on what they saw their parents do.

Just having parents who are doctors isn't an issue, from the applicants I've seen go through. It's not having developed experiences outside of familial connections.

Reactions: 5 users
No it won’t hurt but you will probably be expected to have more than a socioeconomic ally disadvantaged applicant ceteris paribus