Does a case report require IRB approval?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NWwildcat2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not prospective research but technically involves a human. I looked on my institutions site detailing the type of projects that do and don't require IRB approval and a case report was not listed as an example for either category.

If it does Im really hoping there is a fast tracked path for something like this.

Members don't see this ad.

It shouldn't. You could always contact them, but you are just reporting a single event. Even retrospective studies are IRB exempt. IRB is for when you prospectively apply treatments to patients.
Thanks for the advice. I emailed my "Office of Research" with a link to the page I had read and summarized my questions regarding the information on that page. They helpfully responded by copying and pasting the text from the page I linked. Sounds like I should call them to confirm.

Silly question but is this something that could be institutionally dependent or are these types of things standard?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I emailed my "Office of Research" with a link to the page I had read and summarized my questions regarding the information on that page. They helpfully responded by copying and pasting the text from the page I linked. Sounds like I should call them to confirm.

Silly question but is this something that could be institutionally dependent or are these types of things standard?

I will claim ignorance as I don't interact with IRB at different institutions, so I wouldn't say they will always have the exact same opinion, but generally yes, if it is IRB exempt at one place, it should be IRB exempt at another. Usually IRBs apply the same principles based on patient protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It shouldn't. You could always contact them, but you are just reporting a single event. Even retrospective studies are IRB exempt. IRB is for when you prospectively apply treatments to patients.

So the CR you gave me great advice on, thanks again btw :), I actually had to get IRB approval through the hospital to publish it. The guy was nice too & said if it gets approved you can use it as leverage for the hospital to pay for the publication fees.

Reactions: 1 user