Does a DAT score have diminishing returns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lunatic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say three students get an 18, 21, and a 26 AA on their DAT. Many dental schools will likely have reservations about the readiness of student who got an 18. However a 21 is above average for most dental schools. Most dental schools will be confident that that student can handle the rigor of their curriculum. Now if we look at the student that got a 26, there is again little question as to whether the student is ready for dental school.

So what's the added benefit for the student that scores a 26? I think there's two scenarios.

Scenario #1: Adcoms are looking for students that pass a threshold and once students pass that threshold, no matter by how much, they go on to look at other factors of the student's application with a check mark for the student's dat score.

Scenario #2: Adcoms take one look at the 26 and start salivating. They begin daydreaming about how a 26 will impact their schools stats and, barring a low GPA, are willing to overlook flaws in that student's application such as inadequate shadowing hours and mediocre ECs.

I'd imagine that the true answer lies somewhere in between the two scenarios but I'm interested in what others think as to which scenario would most adcoms lean towards.

I'm asking for a friend who did well on is DAT and is doubting the added benefit of his high score.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's say three students get an 18, 21, and a 26 AA on their DAT. Many dental schools will likely have reservations about the readiness of student who got an 18. However a 21 is above average for most dental schools. Most dental schools will be confident that that student can handle the rigor of their curriculum. Now if we look at the student that got a 26, there is again little question as to whether the student is ready for dental school.

So what's the added benefit for the student that scores a 26? I think there's two scenarios.

Scenario #1: Adcoms are looking for students that pass a threshold and once students pass that threshold, no matter by how much, they go on to look at other factors of the student's application with a check mark for the student's dat score.

Scenario #2: Adcoms take one look at the 26 and start salivating. They begin daydreaming about how a 26 will impact their schools stats and, barring a low GPA, are willing to overlook flaws in that student's application such as inadequate shadowing hours and mediocre ECs.

I'd imagine that the true answer lies somewhere in between the two scenarios but I'm interested in what others think as to which scenario would most adcoms lean towards.

I'm asking for a friend who did well on is DAT and is doubting the added benefit of his high score.

high score makes a big difference. DAT is the only thing on an application that adcoms can use to compare everyone against eachother with

Reactions: 1 users
high score makes a big difference. DAT is the only thing on an application that adcoms can use to compare everyone against eachother with

Thanks for your reply. But say that the student that got the 26 is a lunatic and only did mediocre on his interview and the student that got a 21 nailed his/her interview. If the adcom had to pick, would they really pick the 26 student?

It seems to me that both students are academically qualified for dental school so the adcom will pick the student they like more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say
25% -scenario #1
75% -scenario #2

I would be so happy if this is the case. But it seems that the holistic approach made by many schools is evident by their relatively low GPA and DAT scores.

Depends on the school, but many schools will pick the 21 who nailed their interview. At this level, schools have a certain cutoff (21 fulfills it for most) and they can be picky about who they want in their class.

That's what I was thinking as well
Nothing is guaranteed. Time to spend as much time on interview prep as I spent studying for the dat.

I think there's diminishing returns past 25+. Otherwise it's a good way to distinguish yourself academically and make up for any issues in your science coursework.

Thanks for your reply. But say that the student that got the 26 is a lunatic and only did mediocre on his interview and the student that got a 21 nailed his/her interview. If the adcom had to pick, would they really pick the 26 student?

It seems to me that both students are academically qualified for dental school so the adcom will pick the student they like more.
Luckily the whole "people who scored much higher than me must be social robots" belief is usually false. Even if someone had terrible social skills, putting on a persona in an interview is not terribly hard. Just enjoy your 21 it's a decent score but higher is always better.

Luckily the whole "people who scored much higher than me must be social robots" belief is usually false. Even if someone had terrible social skills, putting on a persona in an interview is not terribly hard. Just enjoy your 21 it's a decent score but higher is always better.
How do you know I'm the one with the 21?;)

How do you know I'm the one with the 21?;)
Either way I just think some people (maybe not you) who throw out the "oh (s)he's got a 4.0 and a 25+ prob lacks interview skills XD" do it to make themselves feel better. As someone with decent stats, I'll tell you how it helped- I had all my interviews done within like 6 days of each other because I was in the earliest days provided by the schools. I got into the first choice school I wanted and didn't need to apply broadly at all (applied < 6) because I knew the stats were going to get me in to at least 1 of them. It's given me a tiny confidence boost considering the averages at the schools I applied to were decently lower even though I'm generally very self criticizing. I will say though after getting in, I feel stats don't matter much at all other than letting me know if I put some effort in I can usually be rewarded.

edit:: not that you said they lack interview skills, just something I commonly read. Usually someone with the effort to get the stats won't forsake the people skills and interview part of the application process.

"Thanks for your reply. But say that the student that got the 28 is a lunatic and only did mediocre on his interview and the student that got a 21 nailed his/her interview"

Just a common thing I see but I feel almost never happens IRL lol

Last edited:
Luckily the whole "people who scored much higher than me must be social robots" belief is usually false. Even if someone had terrible social skills, putting on a persona in an interview is not terribly hard.
I feel like this is very true. It is possible for some people to truly "have it all" in adcom world. While they are far and few between, the number of applicants with 99+ percentile DAT scores is so small. I would have to say that the majority of the people that I have met with very high DAT scores or GPA's are good conversationalists and well rounded people in general in addition to being insanely smart.

I guess I'm the odd one out. I have met lots of weirdos with 22+. One kid straight up told me his scores and that he didn't get into a school because his "stats were probably too high".
I met someone with low scores lying about their scores. Someone once with a 23 was bragging about it saying he destroyed the test lol. But those with like 25+ never came off as weird to me. Then again tiny sample size since not many score very high

I could see that. Lots of people want to impress others. A 23 is destroying the test though. That's what, ~2-3 questions wrong each section? I do know someone who got a 24 or 25 irl. Awesome dude.
That's true was just meaning to say the ones with 25+ were never as outspoken or arrogant about it. Will agree 23 is great tho

Depends most on where you're applying. If you are applying to Harvard, then the score matters more than social skills. If you apply to a public school that accepts a lot of in-state residents then I think case 1 is the situation. For example, someone I know got a 3.7 and a 21 on the DAT, is an in-state resident to IU and didn't get in. This is likely due to interview faults/other weak parts of app. Another person who is from Indiana, whose dad graduated from Indiana and is now an orthodontist got rejected. Her stats were ~3.5 20 AA. She goes to MWU-IL now. IU's average dat is 19.7 and sGPA is 3.46. It's clear they look at other things and situation 1 is likely.

Maybe improves chances for scholarships? Doesn't mean you'll get one but if your GPA is high and you stand out from application and interview you're likely to get scholarships.
Also definitely standardized way to compare allll students applying (yes some people get luck but it is in the end a standardized exam)