Does a DO with a solid Step 1 score need USMLE Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockyBalboa 007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
After 2 years of hardcore studying, I have managed to get a 254 on my USMLE step 1 (just got my official score back on Wednesday). Do I need to take step 2? My big (at my school everyone has a senior student as their big) told me that I do not need step 2 for MD Anesthesia, Radio, IM, FM or Peds. He also told me that I would need it for MD EM. Is that about right? I appreciate any/all input.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds about right. It really depends on the program though, and I've heard that ACGME EM programs do like to see Step 2 (even clinical skills also). The thing is, if you did well on Step 1, its pretty likely you'll do well on Step 2, but if you would just rather not, I get that. @cliquesh should give you more insight especially in Gas and maybe Rads as well. I believe he had a score around there.

You keeping so much in touch with your big into 3rd year makes me feel like a neglectful little.

Thanks Hallowman! I am undecided between Rads and Anesthesia...but either way, I don't think I will be taking step 2 next yr...

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone I have talked to has recommended to take step 2. Most students that do well on one, do well on the other and some PDs require it for interview. I have emailed a few medium tier EM programs and even they don't offer an interview without it. I feel like some people say don't take it for fear of looking worse, but I would think a high step 1 would open up a ton of doors. Personally I want a higher tier residency and I don't want to handicap myself by not taking it. Its only 3-5 weeks of studying.

Congrats on your score! I agree with all of the above. From personal experience, I had a very similar board score and am applying to EM. When I talked to a few PDs last spring regarding my application and score they were like "that's nice, but you should still take Step 2 early." Seems that Step 2 is seen as a very important indicator especially in the EM world. It's really a much more relaxed test than Step 1, especially when the pressure is off with a good Step 1 score so I wouldn't sweat it to much and just take it.

That sounds about right. It really depends on the program though, and I've heard that ACGME EM programs do like to see Step 2 (even clinical skills also). The thing is, if you did well on Step 1, its pretty likely you'll do well on Step 2, but if you would just rather not, I get that. @cliquesh should give you more insight especially in Gas and maybe Rads as well. I believe he had a score around there.

You keeping so much in touch with your big into 3rd year makes me feel like a neglectful little.

I would really like to hear a little more from the anesthesia side of this, too. I got a 246 and my first choice program is in the top 15 as far as I know. I would like to only have to take one, but I will certainly do both if I need to.