Does a double major help in getting accepted in Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syedj94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently enrolled as a double major...Biology and Math. I like both subjects, and the best part is that I can finish both without spending extra time at school. So suppose I end up with a 3.6 GPA, and two degrees, and another person has a 3.8 but 1 degree, would they have a higher advantage over me?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Just get the single degree and leave. The 3.8 GPA is better. School probably care about what their incoming class's GPA is. 3.8 looks better for them and this is a number's game.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but does double major =/= two degrees, no?
I did a double major in Human Bio and Biological Anthropology but I only have one degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. Just get the single degree and leave. The 3.8 GPA is better. School probably care about what their incoming class's GPA is. 3.8 looks better for them and this is a number's game.

^^^^ This. Double majors/minors, etc... are all nice but secondary to your GPA/DAT. Don't do something that you think will make you a better applicant at the expense of your numbers. That being said, if you can handle both without it hurting your grades then by all means, go for it!

I'll get to the point and answer your question

SCHOOLS DONT CARE HOW MANY DEGREES YOU HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they care about your science gpa and you're DAT scores foremost. all the other stuff is not important (at first glance). I could have a Ph.d, and 3 undergrad degrees but if I dont have a high science GPA and good DAT scores when I can throw my dream of being a dentist away.

It's NOT about degrees. Just major in something YOU like and match that with a HIGH SCIENCE GPA (with Bio Chem/OChem/Physics being the most important) and then study you ass off for the DAT.

Side note: If I were to double major I would choose a science major and a business degree so if u every go into private practice you'll be financially literate and more able to know the numbers going in and out of your practice or help with the practice u work at. Can't tell u how many docs and dents make all this money and dont understand the finance/accounting side of their practices.

Yea I have to agree with this. I have a double major and I got quite a few interviews, but I don't think it was advantageous at all to have both majors because it's not like I was ever asked about it. I was asked about my volunteering and EC's in every interview, never about my degrees so I think the EC's are more important than a double major (aside from high GPA and DAT of course).

I think they're more interested in what courses you take than what shows up on your degree. I graduated with a double major, had 3 interviews so far, not a single person brought it up.

Dual degree student here. I was only asked about it in one interview.