Does a Master's Help erase a bad undergrad GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nygirl243

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so my friend has a 3.4 GPA and is convinced he will be a walk-in to a med school if he gets his master's and has a 3.8+ in that. I told him to get a freakin' 4.0 and a damn high MCAT, cause I feel that the 3.4 is gonna hurt a lot and our school isn't the best (CUNY). What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, a Masters will not help your friend do that. Graduate school is notorious (at least in adcom's eyes) to be grade inflated, and will not have as big of an impact on admission chances are your friend might think.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, a masters will not help.

A Master's will not help as much. Not all Grad Schools are easy, but the grades are placed in the student's Grad School GPA, so the undergrad GPA stays. Med Schools are compared based on ugrad GPA.

Your friend should take undergrad Science courses at a local school (CUNY is fine) and shoot for A's. That will raise his undergrad GPA, both cumulative and BCMP. This would be the better route and possible less costly as well.