Nov 21, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi everyone.

So at my University, before you can take General Chemistry I and II, you are required to take the prerequisite General Chemistry Prep course which is worth 5 credits and has an accompanying lab. I’ve noticed most medical schools are pretty vague in that they don’t state the specific courses they require and instead ask for one year or two semesters of inorganic chemistry. I’ve already taken the General Chemistry prep course and Chemistry I, essentially giving me 10 credits in inorganic chemistry. Would this meet the 1 year/2 semester requirement for Inorganic Chem? Any advice appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi everyone.

So at my University, before you can take General Chemistry I and II, you have to take General Chemistry Prep which is a 5 credit course and has an accompanying lab. I’ve noticed most medical schools are pretty vague in that they don’t state the specific courses they require and instead ask for one year or general chemistry or 2 semesters. I’ve already taken the General Chemistry prep course and Chemistry I, does this meet the 1 year/2 semester requirement for General Chem? Any advice appreciated! :)
You'd have to ask the schools directly, but it seems unlikely. Gen Chem is the same everywhere, and is required as a foundation to be successful in med school. If your school requires a pre-class to get you ready for Gen Chem, it's hard to see how that would provide you with the foundation necessary to succeed. Your prep class sounds like it is remedial in nature. If so, no, it won't satisfy the prereq requirement, just because it has chem in the name and has 5 credits.

Basically, you need Chem I and Chem II. You have Pre-Chem and Chem I. Not the same thing, even though they both require one year to complete.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 12, 2020
Status
  1. Medical Student
Don’t skip chem 2 before going to organic, you’re gonna need it, even if the prep course gives you excess chemistry credits.

Reactions: 2 users

athorcommens

Tired of the attitude
2+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student
My school had something similar, but you could test out of it and go straight to Chem I. You def want to take Gen Chem I and II regardless.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads