Does Age matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geldrop

Crushed Pepper Rules
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if adcoms care about age at all. I am 22 years old, and just get rejection after rejection after good interview after good interview after good statistics after good statistics.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by geldrop
I can't help but wonder if adcoms care about age at all. I am 22 years old, and just get rejection after rejection after good interview after good interview after good statistics after good statistics.

Well, I can't speak for every med school, but the average age of first-year students was 25 for the Class of 2005 at Tufts and 24 for the Class of 2006. About 33% of my class (M'05) entered med school directly from undergrad, and I think our school is pretty "typical". I do know that USUHS tends to have older entering classes, with an ave. age of 26 on entry, and Baylor tends to be younger with an ave. age of 22.7 or the like. I do think many schools like people who have had a few years experience after undergrad, but it shouldn't matter that much if your stats are solid (3.4+, 27+) and your application is well presented. good luck, if I remember correctly the WL should work in your favor b/c your stats are better than mine were and they eventually took me..

A few things come to mind regarding age and med school apps:

First, I'm 35 and I'll be M1 in August. I spent a lot of time worrying about age from the other side, and I talked to a bunch of admissions people about age/experience issues. I don't think age has an outright influence on the process, but I think demonstrating the ability to communicate effectively with people from many different backgrounds has a huge effect on adcoms. I talked about this in my personal statement and my interviews. Over the past ten years I've worked blue-collar, white-collar, and volunteer jobs- and I've made everything from minimum wage to near six-figures. I was told outright that this experience made me interesting to adcoms.

Second, I don't think I knew myself or the world anywhere near well enough to start a medical career at age 22. I wouldn't trade the life experience I've had for the past 12 years for anything. I truly envy those of you ready to start med school at that age- after spending my undergrad career with my nose in the books, the real world was a (badly needed) wake-up call for me. I think almost all of the uniqueness in my applications came from my work and life experience- at 22 I think I might have looked like many other applicants. One of my interviewers said any novelty in an applicant is greatly appreciated.

Third (this is most important), do you have any idea how young you are?? You could screw around for 5 or 8 years and still be completely fine! You may never have the chance again to get out and experience the world like you can now. If you've got great numbers, you'll probably get in somewhere- but if you don't, think about how much stronger your app would be with 3 or 5 years of experience out there with real people. I know you're probably dealing with pressure from your family (or yourself) to start NOW... but trust me on this one- it's not as urgent as you think.

Members don't see this ad :)
geldrop,
i'm not trying to be mean, but are you sure your interviews were "good"? i have been rejected post-interview from 2 schools so far, and i definitely have a good idea of what went wrong in those interviews and feel like the interviews are the main reason for my rejections.

I don't think being 22 will necessarily hurt or help you. I think that can be said for anyone between 21-25.

disclaimer: not that anything above or below 21-25 will hurt/help as a rule. Everyone is different and life experiences are unique to you, age should not define people.

Geldrop,

I doubt that admissions committees have any explicit guidelines about age. I'm sure that some older applicants might get acceptances based on greater life experience, but there are definitely more than a few folks who enter med school right out of college. (I'm 21, and will be an M1 this fall)

With that said, you might want to contact some admissions officers to see why you were waitlisted. Certainly, at some level the process is pretty random. I personally didn't see any correlation between "good" interviews and acceptances...you may have done very well at interviews, but didn't fit the profile the medical school was looking for. However, it can't hurt to inquire about why you weren't accepted (since your numbers are very competitive).

Anyway...good luck with those waitlists! I hope you get positive info soon =)

Don't know about age, geldrop, but I can say that size does...

i hardly believe that age is the deciding factor in you not being accepted into medical school (yet;) ) However, i do think maturity does come into play. i am gonna have to go with Lola's sentiments... are you sure your interviews went well.

Originally posted by Pinki

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post this!:)

I think youth can only help in the admissions process. Age only becomes an issue if you're a bit above what schools consider the age at entry threshold(35+). Schools will swear up and down that this isn't true, but I don't believe them. I' ve heard from more than one source that UCLA more or less tells applicants if you're over 28 you might as while forget about it. Most of the top 20 or so schools take very few students over thirty. I got in last year at age 37, but I had to apply twice and I think I would have had a lot better luck if I had been ten years younger.

are you serious? I'd say the middle 50% of applicants are between 21 and 25. This means your age has nothing to do with your rejections. What were your numbers? Where did you apply?

Most significantly, how did your interviews go?

First off, you have to realize that there are people in every age group who also have gotten numerous rejections..that have the same numbers and stats that you do.

I think youth, in some cases, can hurt in the admissions process. Similarly, I think being 'older' can hurt as well. It depends on the applicant, their experiences, the interviewer, the adcom, etc. I have heard that UCLA and UCSD are pretty stingy when it comes to accepting older applicants. UCSF, on the other hand, has atleast 10 students who are over thirty, and a great deal who hover somewhere between 25 and 30. 70% of our class has taken atleast one year off from college. With this in mind, I don't think that a student will ever be rejected because of their age. I do think that a person could be rejected because they are thought to possess little empathy, maturity, or other characteristics that are incredibly important in the profession of medicine. The lack of these qualities, however, can occur in any age. Some schools do appear to favor traditional applicants, while others tend to favor non-traditional applicants. In the end, I think age doesn't matter all that much.

I will say that, being 28 myself, I am very glad that I am in a class where there are many other students who are in my age group. I've heard that many people love medical school b/c it is like high school again. I find that being my age it is hard to share in that kind of enjoyment, however, I do appreciate the opportunity to form close bonds with many people that I find a deep connection with as I focus gaining the skills and experiences necessary to serve my future patients. I am really enjoying my opportunity to become very close to some of my classmates whose ages range from 22 to 36.

More and more there is a consensus growing, among some medical organizations, that medical students and residents are progressing through medical school and post-graduate training, but are doing so with poor bedside manner and marginal communication skills. I think that when it comes to these qualities the 'older' students may have a slight advantage (sometimes, so please take a breath before flaming). There are some young, traditional students who are great, but I think that the proportion of older students that are comfortable dealing with very intimate and personal issues is higher than the proportion of younger students. There is something to be said about 'real life experiences', even if they are only for one year.

I was told in not so many words that I was a bit young. Of course they couldn't come out and say that. But it was implied. However had I been 5 years older I probably would of still been rejected since my stats are borderline and I didn't get my secondaries in until mid novermber. They just hinted at age as another thing that might have kept me out of school.

The funny thing is in the back of my head I kind of agree with them:laugh: I'm 21 and I think having to spend another year working on my study habbits as well as myself in general will benefit me down the line.

However that still doesn't get rid of my anger from rejection +pissed+

Members don't see this ad :)
I really think a lot of people are missing the point. It is not your age that will keep you out of medical school, but maturity level. Being 22 doesn't mean you are immature and being 35 does not mean you will be mature. Adcoms are looking for individuals that can do well academically, but more important they are looking for people who are mature enough to handle taking care of sick patients. Patient care is a major responsiblity, probably more than many of us can imagine.

In hindsight, I am glad I was not accepted to medical school right out of college. At the time it was the worst thing that had ever happened. Sure, I could have handled the course work, but I wasn't ready to take care of patients. Hell, I could hardly take care of myself.

To the OP you have your entire life ahead of you. Savor the time you have now. If you take one, two even three years off, enjoy it. Once you start medical school you won't be able to take a vaction for 8 more years, at least. What does it matter if you spend a few years enjoying life now, in the present, you will be working for the next 40. Being rejected may seem like the worst thing in the world, but in the end (or even the middle or begining) you will be glad you took some time for yourself.

Heh, I thought this was going to be another "I'm 39, can I still land those 23 year old chicks in medical school?" thread.

21 years old
5 interviews
one post interview rejection (really crappy interview)
three waitlists
one acceptance

I thought our age group was the median!

I agree with what people have said that it is more the APPEARANCE of immaturity (one need not actually be immature to appear that way to other people--plenty of people I know inadvertantly project themselves differently than they mean to when nervous) than the actual age that is a factor for rejecting an otherwise qualified applicant. Anyway, most medical students matriculate while they are between the ages of 20-25. The average age for my class is either 22 or 23, I can't remember exactly though, and I think most other schools are the same or just slightly older or younger. Until recently wasn't it pretty rare for people to get into medical school once they were older than late twenties/early thirties? Isn't that why those that apply during their senior year of college are called "traditional" applicants? And although more "non-traditional" applicants are getting in I think there is still at least a slight bias for younger students who will be able to practice longer. So, unless you are especially young (like below 18) or old (like 40's) compared to the mean age of applicants I don't think it is your age that is limiting you.

If you are getting consistently rejected interview after interview you need to call someone up and ask why. If you say things like you do on here my guess is your interviews aren't as good as you think they are. It is very easy for confidence to come off as arrogance in an interview situation; the interviewers might be picking up something in your style that you aren't noticing. If you want specific advice on how to make sure you aren't unconsciously sabotaging your interviews check out your school's career center and see if they do mock interviews where they tape you in an interview and critique your interviewing skills/style with you. They might help you see something you are missing which is turning your apparently good interviews into rejections.

If you end up getting in off of a waitlist you might decide not to bother with such things, but make sure you keep in mind you are going to be participating in interviews in one way or another throughout the rest of your career. In med school you'll probably take some sort of class on how to be a good interviewer (of patients). If interviewing is where your problem with rejections stems from, make sure you pay attention there because you don't want to come off as cocky to your patients or during interveiws for residency/attending positions.

after reading some other posts of yours, I would tend to believe that you have a bit of an attitude that may hinder you in your quest for admission. actual age having little to do with it

Age is not as important as EXPERIENCE. Thing is, it's tough gaining one without inviting the other. With age comes experience and with experience comes age. Will these experiences help you gain admittance to medical school? Depends. Did you learn anything from them? If so it will likely help. If you've been selling your skill set in the marketplace for the past 9 years, you've likely had more job interviews than you can remember. That COULD make one a better interviewer than most folks just leaving college. Then again, perhaps not. I think that ADCOM's want mature individuals regardless of age.

Basically I'm just trying to say that age doesn't matter.

Nother thing.

Stats can only take you so far. I mean I'll be honest. If your not getting accepted it's because there were so many people that for some reason came off as more desirable. It could have been that your stats were not good ENOUGH. It could have been that your interview wasn't good ENOUGH. Perhaps you were aming too high. Perhaps you didn't apply to enough safety schools. I don't know. The real question is: What are you going to do about it? I mean you really have no control of your age anyway, right? It's not like that's something that you can adjust by more than one year should you re-apply next year. I wouldn't worry about the age issue. It's more constructive worrying about how to write a killer essay, get better letters of rec, more relavent experience and more interviewing acumen. Worry about the stuff you can control.

Dear geldrop,

It probably didn't have anythign to do with you or your maturity. Don't take it personally, i'm sure it is all just a collosal mistake (maybe you had something stuck in your teeth??). I suggest you write as many appeals as possible about this issue, don't ever give up!:clap: :clap:

Hope that Helps.

P 'Remember to Floss' ShankOut

I doubt it was your age that was the issue. Your stats were good enough to get some interivews. And your interviews probably were OK, not standout fantastic and not terrible.

Lots of very qualified people get rejected from med school every year. Try to talk to some of the admissions folks and see if they will tell you specifics. Perhaps you'd benefit from some extra courses or volunteer time (could be they weren't convinced you had a good idea of what medicine is all about)

Anyway, 21 isn't that young for med school, though you would benefit from a few years of life experience. My class, graduating next month, ranged in age from 19-38 when we started.

WOW - indianboy has come out of retirement. I was beginning to wonder...... Cheers to the four foot tall human with a cooler propellor hat than mine. This must have been a really juicy thread to get him to post......

Originally posted by jmwalker
WOW - indianboy has come out of retirement. I was beginning to wonder...... Cheers to the four foot tall human with a cooler propellor hat than mine. This must have been a really juicy thread to get him to post......

Perhaps this is just his "geldrop victory lap" before he slouches towards Bethlehem, to be reborn as an MS-1 . . . .

In any case, long may he wave.

Originally posted by Pinki

Is that the size of the brain????
;)