Does Alumni Actually Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microman23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - just wondering your thoughts - new to the forum....

about to hear from a school (mid to lower tier) - i have competitive numbers for their school (just at avg. for mcat, close for gpa, although grad work improves upon that....).....do you think it will help that my brother went there? just wondering....

Members don't see this ad.

yes, if schools asked you if you were related to any alumni, then they will show some preferential treatment to you. Doesn't mean your a shoo in, its similar to a state school preferring state residents and schools giving consideration to their own undergrads.

You said you got competitive stats, so you sound like your in a good position.

But me or anyone else on here are not adcom directors and cannot give you a truly specific def. unless they got it from the horse's mouth

Members don't see this ad :)
microman23 said:
Hey guys - just wondering your thoughts - new to the forum....

about to hear from a school (mid to lower tier) - i have competitive numbers for their school (just at avg. for mcat, close for gpa, although grad work improves upon that....).....do you think it will help that my brother went there? just wondering....

I actually think I got into a school recently because of alumni connection - my stats put me in the running, but by no means do I stand out; my dad went there for grad school, not med school; and I got in

so i think if you're at least competitive, you're good to go