Does an ACGME internship satisfy AOA internship requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tideleonheart

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I did a search before posting this, but came up short.

Does anyone know if it is possible to complete a ACGME surgical internship, then match as a PGY-2 in an AOA surgical program? I was thinking there may be an issue because the AOA internships are typically "traditional" in the sense of doing more family medicine, IM, etc, whereas in an ACGME internship, it's almost straight surgery.

The few threads that touched on it that I found seemed to hint that there might be an application process. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you probably need to call an AOA surgery residency office and ask that question. They would be the most experienced in residents transferring in.

OP, I'm highly doubtful that will work. To make it worse, you would have to find a PGY2 opening which is probably unlikely. There aren't any advanced AOA GS residencies as far as I know. And I don't think res 42 has any bearing on what you are trying to do.

Even completing an AOA internship probably won't get you into an AOA PGY2 GS spot. Or it doesn't where I am, at least. You would be a PGY1 again.

The following information applies to the current situation. With the pending merger of the AOA and ACGME residencies, no one knows how your situation will change.

From the AOA's Basic Standards for Residency Training in Surgery and the Surgical Subspecialties (Rev BOT 7/2011) said:
The length of the general surgery residency program must be five (5) years which includes an AOA-approved OGME-1R year (Reference Appendix Two).

Appendix Two
The first year of the residency program (OGME-1R) for general surgery, urological surgery, and neurological surgery must include the following rotations. These rotations may be scheduled as 12 one-month rotations or 13 four-week rotations or any combination thereof:

1. Rotations for ½ day per week, for 46 weeks, in an out-patient clinic or office.
2. Two months of general internal medicine
3. One month of ICU
4. One month of emergency medicine
7. Four months of general surgery
8. Four months of selectives to include any of the following areas:
a. Urology
b. Orthopedics
c. Anesthesia
d. ENT
e. General Surgery
f. Vascular Surgery
g. Neurosurgery
h. Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery
i. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
j. Radiology
k. One month of female reproductive medicine
l. One month of pediatrics, if available, or other primary care specialty, at the discretion of the training institutions.

These requirements may be altered at the discretion of the Program Director, with the approval of the sponsoring institution's GME committee, Director of Medical Education, and the Residency Education Standards Committee (RESC), which will best serve the experience of the resident. Programs not complying with these OGME-1R requirements must provide their actual rotation schedule to the RESC and a rationale for any variance.

In addition, from the American Osteopathic Board of Surgery, they require "Diploma of internship if traditional or AOA letter if OGME-1R" as one of many requirements to apply to take their certification exam

Hey!

Look!

It appears I was totally wrong. Doesn't happen often, so enjoy it.

Agree with others, sounds like a plan that's unlikely to work. Whether an ACGME prelim surgery year will make you more competitive for an AOA surgery PGY-1 is anyone's guess.

Looking at the criteria posted by g_t, I doubt there are many ACGME surgery programs with any IM rotations, let alone two months' worth to get credit for if switching to AOA. Frankly, I do not recall *any* programs on the interview trail with an IM rotation for general surgery residents and surgery non-categorical prelims. ER rotations are also not standard, but probably far more common than IM ones. My surgery program had no ER or IM rotations whatsoever. Many months (i.e. subspecialty rotations like ortho, ENT, CT surgery) had no outpatient clinic time for gen surg intern rotators either.

OP, I'm highly doubtful that will work. To make it worse, you would have to find a PGY2 opening which is probably unlikely. There aren't any advanced AOA GS residencies as far as I know. And I don't think res 42 has any bearing on what you are trying to do.

Even completing an AOA internship probably won't get you into an AOA PGY2 GS spot. Or it doesn't where I am, at least. You would be a PGY1 again.

It can but you have to appeal to the ACOS and it is a big hassle. Met a guy this year who made it work.

Looking at the criteria posted by g_t, I doubt there are many ACGME surgery programs with any IM rotations, let alone two months' worth to get credit for if switching to AOA. Frankly, I do not recall *any* programs on the interview trail with an IM rotation for general surgery residents and surgery non-categorical prelims. ER rotations are also not standard, but probably far more common than IM ones. My surgery program had no ER or IM rotations whatsoever. Many months (i.e. subspecialty rotations like ortho, ENT, CT surgery) had no outpatient clinic time for gen surg intern rotators either.

Agree with Smurfette as usual. While I am not familiar with every general surgery residency program in the country, the requirements above do not mesh with the requirements of the American Board of Surgery. I've never heard of a general surgery internship or residency with internal medicine rotations, let alone two months of it.

There are simply too many nonsurgical and subspecialty electives/rotations that i think it unlikely that any US general surgery internship year would Satisfy AOCGME requirements.