Does an Early Interview Affect the Post-interview Acceptance Rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fxryker

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an interview invite on Tuesday, ~1 week after they started sending them out, and am scheduled to interview in early October, ~2 weeks after they start interviewing. They interview from mid-September to mid-March, and their in-state post-interview acceptance rate is 63.5%.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For most schools, yes

For state schools, not necessarily. Some state schools will prioritize all IS apps early in the cycle

Either way congrats and good luck !

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an interview invite on Tuesday, ~1 week after they started sending them out, and am scheduled to interview in early October, ~2 weeks after they start interviewing. They interview from mid-September to mid-March, and their in-state post-interview acceptance rate is 63.5%.
Was it DO or MD?

I got accepted to all the schools I interviewed early on (August 1st to October ish). All the schools I interviewed later, I got waitlisted or rejected.

I think getting early interviewed invite is a good sign.

Reactions: 2 users
If you're interviewing early, it means that you're a star in the school's eye for several different reasons, and not just for academics.

Hence, if you do well in interview, you're more likely to get an accept.

Reactions: 4 users
Schools will want to prioritize applicants who they think will have lots of offers. They want to be early in making offers to those applicants; if another school makes an earlier offer, the applicant might choose to stop interviewing and never even give the school a chance to lure them in.

It is hard to tease out the "on paper" attractiveness of applicants and the interview performance and determine if it is the "paper" or the interview that led to the offer (it is both and there is a strong interaction between the two variables).

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Schools will want to prioritize applicants who they think will have lots of offers. They want to be early in making offers to those applicants; if another school makes an earlier offer, the applicant might choose to stop interviewing and never even give the school a chance to lure them in.

It is hard to tease out the "on paper" attractiveness of applicants and the interview performance and determine if it is the "paper" or the interview that led to the offer (it is both and there is a strong interaction between the two variables).
Hey @LizzyM I had a question about this. My stats aren't super strong (511/3.6 or 3.8, depending on if you look at overall or only post-bacc), but I have good ECs and got an II for my state school (and #1 choice, which I let them know in the "anything else" prompt on my secondary). Would my telling them they were my top choice have influenced that? Thanks!

It may be that your state school prioritizes specific counties or zip codes. Not meaning to be unkind but you are not a superstar that private and OOS schools will compete for.

Reactions: 3 users