Does anybody have resources to find post interview acceptance rates for MSTP programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lovebiochem

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if anybody have resources to find post interview acceptance rates for individual MSTP programs?
 
Last edited:
Don’t know of any stats but you can ballpark it pretty easily.

(Program size *2) / (# of interview slots)

E.g. if a program of size 20 interviews 100 they will probably accept around 40 for a yield of 20 so that’s 40%ish

Doesn’t yield vary widely between schools?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Doesn’t yield vary widely between schools?

yes, which is why I said "ballpark". 2:1 is pretty typical from what I've heard directors mention, and it's a fairly conservative estimate which makes it safer than assuming something like 3:1. I doubt very few programs do much better than 2:1 for their yield.
 
A couple of important things:

- some schools only accept to ~ the class size at first and then go to the waitlist to fill declined spots later, which makes estimating a little fuzzier
- some schools offer additional non-MSTP funding, such that their reported MSTP class size does not completely reflect number of fully-funded MD-PhD students