Does anybody have resources to find post interview acceptance rates for MSTP programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovebiochem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody have resources to find post interview acceptance rates for individual MSTP programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don’t know of any stats but you can ballpark it pretty easily.

(Program size *2) / (# of interview slots)

E.g. if a program of size 20 interviews 100 they will probably accept around 40 for a yield of 20 so that’s 40%ish

Don’t know of any stats but you can ballpark it pretty easily.

(Program size *2) / (# of interview slots)

E.g. if a program of size 20 interviews 100 they will probably accept around 40 for a yield of 20 so that’s 40%ish

Doesn’t yield vary widely between schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn’t yield vary widely between schools?

yes, which is why I said "ballpark". 2:1 is pretty typical from what I've heard directors mention, and it's a fairly conservative estimate which makes it safer than assuming something like 3:1. I doubt very few programs do much better than 2:1 for their yield.

Reactions: 1 users
A couple of important things:

- some schools only accept to ~ the class size at first and then go to the waitlist to fill declined spots later, which makes estimating a little fuzzier
- some schools offer additional non-MSTP funding, such that their reported MSTP class size does not completely reflect number of fully-funded MD-PhD students