Does anyone actually know any DOs that have matched into an ACGME Ortho Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-Medguy1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone actually know any DOs that have matched into an ACGME Ortho Residency? They're talked about like unicorns in that everyone says it's possible (slim to none, I know) but no one actually knows any DOs that have actually matched. I guess I'm asking primarily because I'm curious as to where they've matched in terms of geographical area, city size, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone actually know any DOs that have matched into an ACGME Ortho Residency? They're talked about like unicorns in that everyone says it's possible (slim to none, I know) but no one actually knows any DOs that have actually matched. I guess I'm asking primarily because I'm curious as to where they've matched in terms of geographical area, city size, etc.

Some programs that I know that have had DOs in the past or currently off the top of my head are : LSU, Texas Tech, Cleveland Clinic, and someone from ATSU-SOMA just matched at UW. I know a non-university program in Michigan has a DO but can’t remember which one.

There are usually about 3-5 that do it every year.

I know three. I know there are others I just don’t know them personally. Off the top of my head I know there are DO’s at Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Texas Tech, JPS, Seton Hall, Mclaren-Flint, some of the U Texas schools (Galveston and San Antonio maybe?), LSU, U Buffalo,
Some programs that I know that have had DOs in the past or currently off the top of my head are : LSU, Texas Tech, Cleveland Clinic, and someone from ATSU-SOMA just matched at UW. I know a non-university program in Michigan has a DO but can’t remember which one.

There are usually about 3-5 that do it every year.
Add Mclaren-flint, Mayo, JPS, some of the U Texas schools (I believe San Antonio and one other), and Seton Hall. I’m sure there are more that have DO’s currently as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know three. I know there are others I just don’t know them personally. Off the top of my head I know there are DO’s at Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Texas Tech, JPS, Seton Hall, Mclaren-Flint, some of the U Texas schools (Galveston and San Antonio maybe?), LSU, U Buffalo,

Add Mclaren-flint, Mayo, JPS, some of the U Texas schools (I believe San Antonio and one other), and Seton Hall. I’m sure there are more that have DO’s currently as well.

Ah forgot about Mayo. I think I remember seeing one with UTMB so Galveston has one

Reactions: 1 user
One of our spine fellows is a DO, though he did go to DO residency. He's phenomenal.

As you've said, people talk about them as unicorns which is exactly why none of them would put themselves out there on SDN. Would very quickly get extremely overwhelming with people flooding them for information. I totally get why they'd prefer to lay low. It's not a real secret what got them to their positions its the same as applying for a DO residency, they are likely: 1) well accomplished academically and 2) they are just good people that others want to be around.

Reactions: 2 users
1) well accomplished academically and 2) they are just good people that others want to be around.

I think people always give number 2 much less importance than it actually has. Nobody wants to work with insufferable people for 3-7 years.

As you've said, people talk about them as unicorns which is exactly why none of them would put themselves out there on SDN. Would very quickly get extremely overwhelming with people flooding them for information. I totally get why they'd prefer to lay low. It's not a real secret what got them to their positions its the same as applying for a DO residency, they are likely: 1) well accomplished academically and 2) they are just good people that others want to be around.
3) Have an insane amount of resolve and grit to forgo the AOA match.

Reactions: 5 users
Geisinger has one currently and graduated another one last year. MCG has had quite a few but doesn't have one currently. Northwestern, Nebraska, UF- Jacksonville, Arizone-Phoenix, and Tulane all have had DOs in recent years.

Reactions: 2 users