Does anyone else feel this way?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ballwera

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else tried to talk themselves out of going into medicine? I'm going into my senior year and I've spent the last 2-3 years debating upon if I should pursue a career in medicine or not. I know in my gut that it's what I wan to do but the idea of another 4 years of school + residency scares the $&@$ out of me. Ive spent this time trying to talk myself out of it and my grades have suffered. Also the financial burden is tough because I've already amassed a large amount of undergrad debt. Has anyone else felt this way?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no rule that states you need to start medical school immediately upon graduation from college.

Has anyone else tried to talk themselves out of going into medicine? I'm going into my senior year and I've spent the last 2-3 years debating upon if I should pursue a career in medicine or not. I know in my gut that it's what I wan to do but the idea of another 4 years of school + residency scares the $&@$ out of me. Ive spent this time trying to talk myself out of it and my grades have suffered. Also the financial burden is tough because I've already amassed a large amount of undergrad debt. Has anyone else felt this way?

Yup, I did. I always thought of going to med school since high school, but I never really buckled down to do it during undergrad. My senior year in college, a good friend of mine actually persuaded me not to go to med school. His father was a dentist and his mother was a doctor, and they both told him not to go into medicine. I worked for a year or so after getting my B.S. and really did some soul searching and ultimately decided that it's what I want to do in my life, even after all the sacrifices I know I will make.

Some people know right away what they want to do, and others have to experience life a little first to decide. I'm 26, going to be 27 before I matriculate next year. I may be "late" to the party by traditional standards, but I feel like I can be more focused because I took the time to really find out that this is my path. That way I can go through it headfirst knowing that there is no other option for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no rule that states you need to start medical school immediately upon graduation from college.

It's mostly family Pressure for me, I am a first gen. College student and everyone thinks once I'm done with school and start working i won't go back.

It's mostly family Pressure for me, I am a first gen. College student and everyone thinks once I'm done with school and start working i won't go back.

Have you done any shadowing? Involved at a hospital volunteering? These experiences will help you make your decision.

Having those feelings makes you a rational human being. Too many people rush into things without thinking them through; you appear to not be one of them. Think it through long and hard and as a previous poster said, you don't need to go right out of school. Being a non-trad will have its advantages too.

Congrats on being rational.

It's perfectly OK to feel that way; Medicine isn't for everyone, but if it is for you, there are multiple paths to get to the same goal.

Have you done any shadowing? Involved at a hospital volunteering? These experiences will help you make your decision.

Yea i've done some shadowing not so much volunteering. I've been in and out of the hospital / doctor's office with my grandpa ( who is has a serious heart condition) since i was young. Its one of the reasons why i'm so interested in medicine.

On a side note, we seem to be in a similair situation same degree gpa etc. do you feel like a physical science degree helped you at all when applying?

Yea i've done some shadowing not so much volunteering. I've been in and out of the hospital / doctor's office with my grandpa ( who is has a serious heart condition) since i was young. Its one of the reasons why i'm so interested in medicine.

On a side note, we seem to be in a similair situation same degree gpa etc. do you feel like a physical science degree helped you at all when applying?

I was asked about my chemistry degree at LECOM-Erie and what courses I took in biology. Wasn't asked about it at AZCOM. I don't think it helped me at all when I was applying besides being able to demonstrate that I can handle upper division science courses.

Don't feel like you need to go straight into med school like ^^ said. If you need some time off to get away from school, work a bit, make some money, then do that. You'll come back to school either way. If you have a physical sciences degree, it's pretty much a given to go on to higher education (MS, Ph.D, D.O., etc) unless you want to sit at the sub-$50k mark for the rest of your life.

Ive talked myself out of medicine more times than I can count. I've also talked myself back into it a few times. This is a real internal debate every person should have and I really think that until you get that one moment that *drives* you, you'll never fully know if you're making the right decision to sacrifice so much of your life for a profession.

People ask why physicians get compensated so well. I always argue that it has much less to do with the life and death matters they deal with, but instead has to do with what they sacrificed. In order to get to where they are they *literally* have given up >7 years of their life. The best case scenario for when you can be a fully licensed physician is at age 29. Most people are going into their early 30s by the time they are done. It is an absolute sacrifice. Anyone who is single in medical school can tell you that it destroys any real hope of a healthy relationship with anyone (romantic, or family) until at least 2nd year of residency. You lose track of many major events in the world. You die for 4 (or by my calculations 7 to 10) years right in the middle of your life... but it gives the opportunity to live for a lifetime. And the thrill of doing this, even at the 3rd year student level, is intense. With that all said: there is no shame at all in using logic and rationality to urge yourself away from it. The sacrifice of it all is not worth it for many people.

I mentioned earlier that there are moments that drive you. For me it was constantly debating if I truly wanted to do this. Doubting it, doubting myself. But I always took for granted that I *could* go back to it. Then one day an advisor told me, with absolute confidence and no grey area, that I could never go to a medical school. Don't ever tell me I can't do something. It was being told I couldn't have it that made me finally realize how much I wanted it.

Ive talked myself out of medicine more times than I can count. I've also talked myself back into it a few times. This is a real internal debate every person should have and I really think that until you get that one moment that *drives* you, you'll never fully know if you're making the right decision to sacrifice so much of your life for a profession.QUOTE]

And these are huge sacrifices to make on one hand i love medicine, but on the other its a huge burden on my family. I'm a very family oriented person. I also think i have found the girl that i want to be with and i don't want to put her through 8 or so years of hell. O and I to have been told i couldn't be a doctor because of grades and it made me want to do it even more.

Seems like you have a LOT of thinking to do. I'd say if you have any doubts, then this profession isn't for you. remember, Medicine (note the capitol M) is a calling, ilke being a priest, a soldier or a fireman.

Ive talked myself out of medicine more times than I can count. I've also talked myself back into it a few times. This is a real internal debate every person should have and I really think that until you get that one moment that *drives* you, you'll never fully know if you're making the right decision to sacrifice so much of your life for a profession.QUOTE]

And these are huge sacrifices to make on one hand i love medicine, but on the other its a huge burden on my family. I'm a very family oriented person. I also think i have found the girl that i want to be with and i don't want to put her through 8 or so years of hell. O and I to have been told i couldn't be a doctor because of grades and it made me want to do it even more.

Have to consider what's most important to you. You will be gone for a long time, maybe not physically, but mentally. You will have to put your family plans on hold, and have a strong enough relationship to last through the most different 7-10 years of your life. I mean, you could start a family.. but then it would be even more difficult. Missing out on things like your kids first steps, baseball games because you're in the library hitting the books or at the hospital because a call came in. If these things are more important to you than pursuing a field you love, then you have your answer. There are other medical fields that don't require as much time and sacrifice that a physician requires.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have to consider what's most important to you. You will be gone for a long time, maybe not physically, but mentally. You will have to put your family plans on hold, and have a strong enough relationship to last through the most different 7-10 years of your life. I mean, you could start a family.. but then it would be even more difficult. Missing out on things like your kids first steps, baseball games because you're in the library hitting the books or at the hospital because a call came in. If these things are more important to you than pursuing a field you love, then you have your answer. There are other medical fields that don't require as much time and sacrifice that a physician requires.

I just don't think i would be happy being in the medical field if I wasnt a physician

I've also gone through this (agonizing) discussion many times. During undergrad, I was set on medical school, but then I got burnt out. After graduation, I needed time to reevaluate what I wanted to do with my life. Months later, I had another shock. I had to start repaying my undergraduate loans to the tune of $1000/month (80K). So, I think you are right to fully consider the financial burden of undergraduate loans/medical school loans.

I am glad I took a few years off before applying to medical school. I gained invaluable real-world experience, worked in different, interesting fields. Working for a few years allowed me to pay some of my loans back. I also met my husband and we bought a cute house in the suburbs. And we adopted a cute dog. Sometimes I think I'm crazy to trade this in for a doctor's life. In fact, I feel guilty that my husband will have to go through this with me. He will have to live like a poor person and possibly live apart from his wife and dog. It's a lot to ask of anyone. But, the more I explored other careers like PA/MP, the more I returned to medicine. So, here I am.. so close to getting into medical school. Wish me luck on my first interview this month :)

As everyone has said, it's a debate we've all had with ourselves. I know that, with my research experience and education at a research institute, I could have gone to grad school and gotten my PhD. I knew, deep down, that although I like research, I really LOVE medicine.

If you have serious doubts that keep you up at night, you may consider doing a gap year (or two- I'm actually doing two), and work, volunteer, take some time to live a little, and it will help you get some perspective. We all have doubts, but you really need to be sure before you matriculate because it is such a big sacrifice. Good luck with your decision!

I have never had doubts about being a physician, however, it has taken me a LONG time to bring up my undergraduate grades and make myself competitive. I have dabbled in teaching and research and still know I will apply to medical school for another 10 years if that's what it takes to get me in...I really hope that isn't the case though!

I know in my gut that it's what I wan to do but the idea of another 4 years of school + residency scares the $&@$ out of me. Ive spent this time trying to talk myself out of it and my grades have suffered. Also the financial burden is tough because I've already amassed a large amount of undergrad debt. Has anyone else felt this way?
Becoming a doctor takes more than that.
If you're even scared by the length of training, then please don't do it.

Becoming a doctor takes more than that.
If you're even scared by the length of training, then please don't do it.

I'm not scared of length at all it's just not something ppl in my family do, I'm the first one to go to college and not working almost feels wrong.

I'm not scared of length at all it's just not something ppl in my family do, I'm the first one to go to college and not working almost feels wrong.

Kind of sounds like you're trying to come up with excuses to not go. IMO, if you have any doubts, then med school isn't for you. I'm pretty sure any parent would understand/be proud of the fact that you want to be a doctor. They would understand if you need 10 or so years to become a doctor and make your family proud.

Have you talked to your girl about this? What does she think?

Have you talked to your girl about this? What does she think?

Shes cool with it except for the possibility of moving and waiting til i'm done with school to have kids.

I have thought about this as well. I think that delaying it a few years is a good idea if you have doubts. You also get to enjoy some of your 20's and gain maturity and life experiences. No matter what profession you go into, it is going to become a large part of your life and you will have to devote a ton of time to be successful. Considering the current state of the US and world economy, most people will work 12 hour days to just stay competitive and keep there jobs. So if it is time commitment and hard work you are scared of, then there are not many places to hide. I try to look past medical school and residency and look at what my life will be for the majority of my career. Many people go into professions loving it for the first few years, then are miserable by the time they are 50. Being a physician, I could picture myself being miserable at times during medical school and residency, but happy for the rest of my life. Also..good job security and good paycheck.

At times I feel like it will definitely be a struggle, after all I don't direct my life, none of us do, so we practically will not see whats coming in the future.. As for a financial burden don't let that affect your vision on becoming a future physician.

Besides, you just mentioned you are the first one in your family to attend college. Same here!
Its going to be full of challenges like Wolverines83 said, feeling this way makes you a rational human.

Just keep your head up and if this is your dream and if you really want to do this, then its going to be pretty hard to convince you to stop what you are doing.

Just remember No Stress No Mess. :xf:

Last edited:
*UPDATE*
After multiple discussions with family members and my lady friend I've decided I will no longer be persuing medicine. I'm looking to go back into engineering or getting a phd. Thank you all for the help!

*UPDATE*
After multiple discussions with family members and my lady friend I've decided I will no longer be persuing medicine. I'm looking to go back into engineering or getting a phd. Thank you all for the help!
It is good that you talk about it with your family and I hope the best for you.

*UPDATE*

Best of luck to you.

Good luck to you. And if you change your mind, you can always pursue medicine at another time.

I did, but then I did research on PhDs and spoke to PhD students. Completely uninterested in a career as a slave following funding and putting aside my interests for 4-7 years so that I can do a post-doc and then get an adjunct position at low ranked school in nowheresvile doing research on something I likely will be bored of in a week.

I did, and succeeded. Then in <6 months I realized I was wrong, and here I am doing a GPA repair, working in a hospital, and prepping for MCAT.

Ive talked myself out of medicine more times than I can count. I've also talked myself back into it a few times. This is a real internal debate every person should have and I really think that until you get that one moment that *drives* you, you'll never fully know if you're making the right decision to sacrifice so much of your life for a profession.

People ask why physicians get compensated so well. I always argue that it has much less to do with the life and death matters they deal with, but instead has to do with what they sacrificed. In order to get to where they are they *literally* have given up >7 years of their life. The best case scenario for when you can be a fully licensed physician is at age 29. Most people are going into their early 30s by the time they are done. It is an absolute sacrifice. Anyone who is single in medical school can tell you that it destroys any real hope of a healthy relationship with anyone (romantic, or family) until at least 2nd year of residency. You lose track of many major events in the world. You die for 4 (or by my calculations 7 to 10) years right in the middle of your life... but it gives the opportunity to live for a lifetime. And the thrill of doing this, even at the 3rd year student level, is intense. With that all said: there is no shame at all in using logic and rationality to urge yourself away from it. The sacrifice of it all is not worth it for many people.

I mentioned earlier that there are moments that drive you. For me it was constantly debating if I truly wanted to do this. Doubting it, doubting myself. But I always took for granted that I *could* go back to it. Then one day an advisor told me, with absolute confidence and no grey area, that I could never go to a medical school. Don't ever tell me I can't do something. It was being told I couldn't have it that made me finally realize how much I wanted it.

Very inspiring. Worthy first full length post I took the time to read for this new year.

I have tried other "venues" and honestly the only way I could be happy is if I went into medicine. As with everything else in life, do what makes you happy. :D