Does anyone else use condoms in marriage?

brotherbloat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a married 28-year old woman who uses condoms exclusively in marriage (and before as well.) As I have no married female friends to ask, I wondered how common it is for others to use condoms even while married. Once you're married, do you give them up? If so, what do you use?

For me, I don't want to take birth control pills because I don't want to mess around with my hormones, and I feel that other methods are too unreliable.

Just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I must say I never ran into a question like this before. Lemme think.

I personally wouldn't make my husband wear one. At least not for an extended length of time. To me..one of the "perks" if you will of being monogamous is NOT having to use condoms since we would have both been checked out and given the all clear by our MD.

There are many types of birth control out there and yeah..unfortunatly they are mostly female contraceptives but personally.....condoms suck in a marriage. (great for STIs though bla bla bla)

Of course you mentioned you may be getting pregnant soon so condoms to avoid hormones makes sense to me. AND if your husband is all gung ho about em...cool! He's a rare breed :laugh: And yes I'm a female in a monogamous common law relationship.

Katee

PS You do know that the Pill comes in different strengths right? Allesse is really low. What are you afraid of?

Married couples that I know use the sponge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi again,

We've been together for 4.5 years now (and married for almost one) and the whole time we've used condoms. I'm not planning to get pregnant for probably 3 years but I have never used birth control pills and never plan to, because I don't like the idea in general of messing with my hormones.

I thought the sponge went off the market years ago?

I know that condoms are annoying, and uncomfortable for me, but what else can you do when you refuse to take the pill? I feel that the other contracptives out there are too unreliable (i.e. withdrawal, rhythm, spermicide, diaphragm.) We have gone unprotected a few times but only during my period or right before.

As for the pill, I'm afraid of any side effects--weight gain, acne, bloating, bad moods, etc. Plus, I feel that any messing around with hormones just isn't acceptable to me. I'm a very organic type person.

On a completely unrelated note, and again since I don't have any married female friends, is it bad to not be interested in sex for awhile once you're married? Personally, it's been about two months since we last had sex and that doesn't bother me at all. I'm not in the mood for it at all lately. Is that bad, being newlyweds and all?

The sponge is back and bigger and better than ever ! Just kidding but yeah it's back.

IUD's are an option. The cervical ring as well (can't think of the name off hand right now) The reality condom that women can wear can give your husband a break and put YOU in the condom seat for a change. Interesting device. ;)

If you are as you call it an "organic" type of person...you dont really leave yourself open for much choice.

I just went over your post again and I can't resist. Maybe hes not interested because you make him wear a condom!!!! And he KNOWS he will need to wear one for 3 more years ! :p Or is it you who aren't interested?

But seriously...the rumor is that marriage tends to kill sex. :laugh:

And yeah I would get a little worried being newlyweds but thats just me. If I were you I'd get rid of those freaking condoms and rethink...organic? Or great marriage. (I know your marriage isn't staked on condoms BTW.) The chances of the Pill really screwing you up for life and you getting ALL the POSSIBLE side effects is pretty slim in my experience with TONS of married friends. Now this isnt medical advice here. Just my opinion.

Dr. Ruth :laugh:

Katee

Katee80 said:
IUD's are an option. The cervical ring as well (can't think of the name off hand right now)

The ring is called nuva-ring and it is okay. I think the website is www.nuvaring.com. It has hormones but they do not cause symptoms associated with BCP's. I tried it and u leave it in for a month and right before your period u take it out. I cant use it anymore because Ive had some high blood pressure issues and my insurance doesnt cover it. It $70 a ring. Right now I have the copper IUD. I am not married but in a committed relationship. My doctor inserted it because she knew that I did not want to get pregnant again (Im a momma) and we are not straying. The only problem I have had since insertion is heavier and longer periods and my doc said that it would decrease in time. I like it and glad I do not have to worry about getting pregnant for ten years. Sorry if I gave TMI, but I hope u can research these options.

We use FAM and condoms. We will go unprotected CD1-CD10 then 3 days after ovulation until CD10. So basically we use condoms for about two weeks out of each cycle (a little less actually). That's being conservative too... bc I normally don't ovulate until btwn CD17-19 so that means we could technically go unprotected until about CD12 but we won't risk it. If my cervical fluid changes before CD10 we will use condoms until after ovulation just to play it safe. I very briefly considered doubling up with a diaphragm during my fertile period but we ruled it out bc I had a really bad bought of yeast infections and UTIs for about 4 years straight. If the condom breaks I will just take the MAP.

On a completely unrelated note, and again since I don't have any married female friends, is it bad to not be interested in sex for awhile once you're married? Personally, it's been about two months since we last had sex and that doesn't bother me at all. I'm not in the mood for it at all lately. Is that bad, being newlyweds and all?

From the prior thread 'does anyone else ever feel worthless' it seems like you have some larger issues going on. Try to get adequate treatment for your depression, and I mean from a team of professionals, not from an internet chatroom.

We will go unprotected CD1-CD10 then 3 days after ovulation until CD10. So basically we use condoms for about two weeks out of each cycle (a little less actually). That's being conservative too... bc I normally don't ovulate until btwn CD17-19 so that means we could technically go unprotected until about CD12 but we won't risk it. If my cervical fluid changes before CD10 we will use condoms until after ovulation just to play it safe.

Quite a science project! Do you figure out the contraceptive method for the day before you get down to business, or during. If I was in the mood for some R&R, it would irritate the hell out of me if my spouse started taking temps, spin cervical fluid samples and pull out a calculator before we can proceed (would be a very efficient method of birth control though, that way I would be dead asleep before something could ever happen.)

that way I would be dead asleep before something could ever happen.)

:laugh:

Are you SURE your SO CARES if you're awake? ;)

Katee

trishias said:
The ring is called nuva-ring and it is okay. I think the website is www.nuvaring.com. It has hormones but they do not cause symptoms associated with BCP's. I tried it and u leave it in for a month and right before your period u take it out. I cant use it anymore because Ive had some high blood pressure issues and my insurance doesnt cover it. It $70 a ring. Right now I have the copper IUD. I am not married but in a committed relationship. My doctor inserted it because she knew that I did not want to get pregnant again (Im a momma) and we are not straying. The only problem I have had since insertion is heavier and longer periods and my doc said that it would decrease in time. I like it and glad I do not have to worry about getting pregnant for ten years. Sorry if I gave TMI, but I hope u can research these options.

Yup..THAT's it. 70 dollars a ring? American? Damn. :eek:

Thanks for the link. :D

Katee

f_w said:
We will go unprotected CD1-CD10 then 3 days after ovulation until CD10. So basically we use condoms for about two weeks out of each cycle (a little less actually). That's being conservative too... bc I normally don't ovulate until btwn CD17-19 so that means we could technically go unprotected until about CD12 but we won't risk it. If my cervical fluid changes before CD10 we will use condoms until after ovulation just to play it safe.

Quite a science project! Do you figure out the contraceptive method for the day before you get down to business, or during. If I was in the mood for some R&R, it would irritate the hell out of me if my spouse started taking temps, spin cervical fluid samples and pull out a calculator before we can proceed (would be a very efficient method of birth control though, that way I would be dead asleep before something could ever happen.)

We also use FAM and condoms, I'm on my 9th cycle of charting now. You don't seem to understand the female cycle very well; it's fascinating information that I think more women should know about themselves. To the ladies: I highly recommend the book Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler whether you're interested in using the information for pregnancy achievement, avoidance, or neither. (I've also heard good things about Garden of Fertility though I've not read it.) This method is grounded in physiologic fact, and unlike the rhythm method which relies on past behavior of your cycle to "predict" future behavior (since every cycle is different, this is ridiculous!) it is based on a *current* picture of your fertility.

Taking a basal temperature takes exactly one minute out of my day each morning when I wake up. Recording it and making notes takes another minute. Cervical fluid signs are just something you stay aware of and/or make special note of when you're using the potty. When my sweetie and I are getting intimate, he simply asks if we need protection today. If I'm not sure (I'm more conservative than the above poster about my signs) or if I'm in a fertile phase I say yeah. Once I'm infertile postovulatory and say no once he doesn't even have to ask again until after Aunt Flo (<-- euphemism for menses) has come and gone. So for about 3 weeks out of my 5 week cycle we're having sex au naturel, WITH my sex drive intact (as it wasn't so much while I was on OC) -- yay! Things are a LOT more fun nowadays than they were even on my honeymoon!

If we weren't planning on kids in a year or two I'd probably go IUD all the way. But the complications I've heard of, while they'd be worthwhile for 5-10 years of hassle-free BC, would overwhelm the benefits for a few short months of use.

Only you and your husband really know what's a good frequency for you as a couple. Weekly is pretty much a minimum frequency for us though, and that's only when DH is under a lot of stress and falls asleep exhausted before his head hits the pillow every night!

Things do slow down a bit during my fertile phase too -- neither of us really likes using the condoms. I think y'all might benefit from some research and/or a discussion with your GYN about alternatives.

Ok, so its kind of a boyscout thing 'allways prepared'.

Good if that works for you guys, I wouldn't recommend doing it if you are a resident yourself. With the continuous interruptions in the wake-sleep cycle, the 'natural' methods tend to become unreliable.

f_w said:
Ok, so its kind of a boyscout thing 'allways prepared'.

Good if that works for you guys, I wouldn't recommend doing it if you are a resident yourself. With the continuous interruptions in the wake-sleep cycle, the 'natural' methods tend to become unreliable.

Yes, while my husband was on an erratic schedule for his surgery rotation, I found that I was waking with him in the wee hours and staying up to different bedtimes when he was on call, which made my patterns a bit less recognizable. I went with the "better safe than sorry" rule for the most part.

There are methods with rules that don't rely on waking temperature, such as the Billings Ovulation Method, that only require cervical fluid observations. However, I feel most comfortable with the temperature shift to confirm that ovulation's occured, so if my patterns ever got really bad due to unusual sleep cycles, I'd probably go to a different form of contraception.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I've never given birth control much thought. I always thought that if you didn't want to go on the pill, condoms were pretty much the only reliable thing.

I thought the IUD caused problems--no?

I guess I feel like birth control is so annoying--finding the condom, putting it on, that it's just easier to not have sex in the first place. And this is one of the reasons why I guess I'm not as into sex as I could or should be--it's too much trouble. Is this a bad attitude?

I guess what I'm also saying is: is spontaneous, worry-free sex worth messing with your hormones and potentially gaining weight, having mood swings (pill), or having longer periods and potentially having an IUD get embedded in your uterus? The method allison mentioned does sound good, I'm going to look into that. But to me, all these other potential side effects really aren't worth it, I guess I'd rather stick to less frequent but condomed sex. Thoughts?

I think we have a great marriage but sex isn't a large part of it. Can a great marriage still thrive with little sex?

> I think we have a great marriage but sex isn't a large part of it.
> Can a great marriage still thrive with little sex?

Ask you husband.

> As for the pill, I'm afraid of any side effects--
> weight gain,

imagine how much weight you would gain if you became pregnant. Weight gain on the pill is very variable. Many women don't gain an ounce, others pork up in the least desireable pattern. The same concept applies to hypertension and thromboembolic disease. Both are potential side effects of OC, but definite risks of pregnancy.

> acne,

OC are a treatment for acne, but yes, in some patients it will get worse.

> bad moods,

Ah, OC's are the reason for bad moods in women ! (Who knew ?)

> I thought the IUD caused problems--no?

You are young, you plan to have kids in the future:--> stay away from IUD's.

They are a great option for someone who has one or two, doesn't plan on having another one for the time beeing, but is not ready to get the 'chop' yet. While they tend to have few complications in 'good girls' who are married to decent guys, they allways have some potential for lasting trouble. (they really got a bad rap bc in the past the type of women who chose them were also at an increased risk for STD's. STD's and IUD's make a bad combination. )

brotherbloat said:
I guess I feel like birth control is so annoying--finding the condom, putting it on, that it's just easier to not have sex in the first place. And this is one of the reasons why I guess I'm not as into sex as I could or should be--it's too much trouble. Is this a bad attitude?

I think we have a great marriage but sex isn't a large part of it. Can a great marriage still thrive with little sex?

I think it can but you have to make sure the marriage is really great. My husband and I used condoms until we developed allergies to latex (this was years ago before polyurethane) and I really never found them all that annoying. The thing I would worry about is if you don't have a lot of sex and one of you is unhappy about it, and/or other kinds of intimacy are starting to slip away also. Both of those factors affected my marriage, and I'm actually getting divorced now. Be vigilant--these things can sneak up on you.

alison_in_oh said:
We also use FAM and condoms, I'm on my 9th cycle of charting now. To the ladies: I highly recommend the book Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler whether you're interested in using the information for pregnancy achievement, avoidance, or neither. (I've also heard good things about Garden of Fertility though I've not read it.) This method is grounded in physiologic fact, and unlike the rhythm method which relies on past behavior of your cycle to "predict" future behavior (since every cycle is different, this is ridiculous!) it is based on a *current* picture of your fertility.

Taking a basal temperature takes exactly one minute out of my day each morning when I wake up. Recording it and making notes takes another minute. Cervical fluid signs are just something you stay aware of and/or make special note of when you're using the potty. When my sweetie and I are getting intimate, he simply asks if we need protection today. If I'm not sure (I'm more conservative than the above poster about my signs) or if I'm in a fertile phase I say yeah. Once I'm infertile postovulatory and say no once he doesn't even have to ask again until after Aunt Flo (<-- euphemism for menses) has come and gone. So for about 3 weeks out of my 5 week cycle we're having sex au naturel, WITH my sex drive intact (as it wasn't so much while I was on OC) -- yay! Things are a LOT more fun nowadays than they were even on my honeymoon!

If we weren't planning on kids in a year or two I'd probably go IUD all the way. But the complications I've heard of, while they'd be worthwhile for 5-10 years of hassle-free BC, would overwhelm the benefits for a few short months of use.

What she said :p . The reason I can be less conservative is bc I have picture perfect cycles fortunately.

Oh and my FH is a surgical resident and I am forever waking up when his alarms (yes plural...) go off at ungodly hours. You can work around that :). I would never trust just the Billings Method... like, right now, since I am on antihistamines, my CM is not reliable. I need to see the temp shift to be sure.

I think most drs won't put an IUD in you if you haven't had a kid. I'd be too neurotic about possible uteran perforation to be able use one I think.

I use birth control pills and i love them. We never use any other method of protection. I take Mircette, which is a really low dose and have never suffered any side effects at all and I've been on it for 5 years!

You could always take it for a few months and if you don't like it, stop taking it and go back to the condom.

I would think that if you are asking us if your marriage can be healthy and survive sans sex, then it sounds like it is something you are worried about.

brotherbloat said:

I don't think so. Way back when, one of the first IUDs, the Daikon Shield, was horrible. It cast a pall over the whole method. These days there are two, very safe, IUDs on the market. The Copper-T and Mirena. It might be worth doing a little research? I don't know terribly much about them.

I'd say it's fairly normal, like I said I get that feeling too when we have to rely on condoms.

I guess what I'm also saying is: is spontaneous, worry-free sex worth messing with your hormones and potentially gaining weight, having mood swings (pill), or having longer periods and potentially having an IUD get embedded in your uterus? The method allison mentioned does sound good, I'm going to look into that. But to me, all these other potential side effects really aren't worth it, I guess I'd rather stick to less frequent but condomed sex. Thoughts?

There are tons of pills with tons of combinations of hormones that have different effects. You might be able to find one that works well with your body. Don't rule it out entirely, but for me personally, I was so grateful to get off of the pill and I can't see myself going back to artificial hormones. I guess libido and emotional imbalance (yes, MOODINESS) were my main complaints (these things can be addressed by finding a pill with a more suitable hormone balance), but just in general I thoroughly enjoy being in harmony with my cycles.

Don't rule out female barrier methods either. The cervical cap sounds quite convenient, especially if you don't have any known problems with spermicide.

Only if the feeling is mutual and you have other ways to be intimate. If he's feeling stymied and unfulfilled or if your relationship is totally non-physical and otherwise emotionally disconnected, then lack of sex could be a wrench in the works.

I don't understand how you would rather rely on natural methods which have a 25% failure rate than to take BCP's in which you aren't likely to experience all of those side effects and failure rates (as long as you use it correctly) are less than 1.5. To each their own, but personally I would rather take a pill once a day and not have to worry about getting pregnant (yes I know it's not 100%, but it's better than anything else out there aside from abstinence).
I for one can't stand condoms! It's more painful than anything and I know it can't be feeling that great (not painful, but less sensation) for my partner. Whenever we used condoms I would lose interest simply b/c it didn't feel good for me. It made all the difference being on BCP and not having to take time out of the moment just to get things going. The reason I got on the pill to begin with had nothing to do with sex, I had debilitating cramps and the pill was a God send for me. I never wanted to go on the pill b/c of the side effects as well, but I never had any (no weight gain, mood swings, acne, etc).
I have to go with Katee80 on this one- if your husband is lacking interest it's probably b/c he's not too stoked on the idea of wearing a condom for the next 3 years in your marrige. I'm not married, but if my marriage was lacking in sex, I for one would not be too happy.

emogrrrrl said:
I don't understand how you would rather rely on natural methods which have a 25% failure rate than to take BCP's in which you aren't likely to experience all of those side effects and failure rates (as long as you use it correctly) are less than 1.5. To each their own, but personally I would rather take a pill once a day and not have to worry about getting pregnant (yes I know it's not 100%, but it's better than anything else out there aside from abstinence).

I don't see anyone in this thread discussing natural methods with a 25% failure rate. tlew12778 and I practice FAM (aka sympto-thermal method), which according to the textbook Contraceptive Technology has only a 2% first-year failure rate, the same as condoms. In addition, the failure rate of any contraceptive method falls after the first year.

alison_in_oh said:
I don't see anyone in this thread discussing natural methods with a 25% failure rate. tlew12778 and I practice FAM (aka sympto-thermal method), which according to the textbook Contraceptive Technology has only a 2% first-year failure rate, the same as condoms. In addition, the failure rate of any contraceptive method falls after the first year.

The symptothermal method incorporates 3 methods of natural contraception; temperature, cervical mucus, and calendar. Each of those separately do have a failure rate around 25%. I decided to research the method you practice and I find it interesting that it has a failure rate that low. On the website I read that it was only under strict supervision that the failure rate was 3% for the first year...what does "strict supervision" entail? I can't imagine having that much patience to monitor my body, so props to you both.

brotherbloat said:

I would say NO NO NO!!!! Sex is a small part of marriage as long as your getting some, if your not getting some, then I Would say you guys have some issues, unless hes impotent...

That is just my take however. As a man, I do not see the point of marriage if I cannot have sex with my wife. Maybe you should ask him? Most guys I know would be revolted if their wife never gave it up. Not to mention a man has needs, and not having sex may drive a man to cheat on a woman. Just something to think about.

T

Sainttpk said:
I would say NO NO NO!!!! Sex is a small part of marriage as long as your getting some, if your not getting some, then I Would say you guys have some issues, unless hes impotent...

That is just my take however. As a man, I do not see the point of marriage if I cannot have sex with my wife. Maybe you should ask him? Most guys I know would be revolted if their wife never gave it up. Not to mention a man has needs, and not having sex may drive a man to cheat on a woman. Just something to think about.

T

I would agree -- unless the guy has health issues, he is going to want to have some semblance of a normal sex life with his mate. Most guys want far in excess of normal. While it won't necessarilly drive him to cheat, it could drive a serious wedge between the two of you. The odds of two people of the opposite sex both not having any interest in sex and yet wanting to be married are going to be phenomenally and unfathomably low, so it's unlikely that you have stumbled into that kind of situation.
(Besides, based on all your frequent downer posts, brotherbloat, your disinterest in sex is most likely related to your evident depression, self-worth, career dissatisfaction and lack of friends issues. Seek help.)

Guy contributing to this thread.

Been married 5 yrs. Started with BCP (tried many different brands), she always had some form of SE with it. (Acne with one brand, Headache with another brand, heart palpitation with another, etc...) the most important however was decrease in sex drive :eek: :eek: That was simply unacceptable. :D

She was much happier without BCP. So, we started to use condoms last 2 yrs except few days before and after her period.

Is it annoying?? Helll Yeahhh :( Is that better than having a moody spouse who could careless about sex ?? Helll Yeahhhh :D

Basically, she sacrificed her physical/emotional changes for 3 yrs for our marriage, I can definitely put on a condom (may take 2seconds) for healthier sex life.
sidenote, I noticed that I last much longer with condom than bareback (decrease in sensitivity perhaps.. ) She seems to be happier with that as well :D :D Am I being too descriptive?? :rolleyes:

Law2Doc said:
I would agree -- unless the guy has health issues, he is going to want to have some semblance of a normal sex life with his mate. Most guys want far in excess of normal. While it won't necessarilly drive him to cheat, it could drive a serious wedge between the two of you. The odds of two people of the opposite sex both not having any interest in sex and yet wanting to be married are going to be phenomenally and unfathomably low, so it's unlikely that you have stumbled into that kind of situation.
(Besides, based on all your frequent downer posts, brotherbloat, your disinterest in sex is most likely related to your evident depression, self-worth, career dissatisfaction and lack of friends issues. Seek help.)

ditto

OP here--I truly can say that I haven't felt like having sex in months. No sex drive whatsoever, and yes, it is probalby related to my feelings that all of you seem to be so familair with. :)

My hubby doesn't seem to mind, he never approaches me about it, I really don't think it's a big deal to him, he's never been like most other guys when it comes (no pun intended :)) to a lot of things.

Is it unusual to have no sex drive for three months in a row? In general, I've never been a very sexual person, though I started having sex early (in high school). I love my husband dearly, but I can't really see "putting out" and pretending to be into it. The condoms are part of the issue though--too much trouble to deal with, easier not to have sex at all.

I'm too poor for therapy so that's out. :) Talking here is much more helpful!

Sainttpk said:

T

So you're saying if your wife were a quadroplegic then you would divorce her b/c she couldn't have sex anymore? I would never do anything like that, I feel sex really isn't that big of a deal. It gets kind of routine and "old", don't you think?

brotherbloat said:
OP here--I truly can say that I haven't felt like having sex in months. No sex drive whatsoever, and yes, it is probalby related to my feelings that all of you seem to be so familair with. :)

My hubby doesn't seem to mind, he never approaches me about it, I really don't think it's a big deal to him, he's never been like most other guys when it comes (no pun intended :)) to a lot of things.

Is it unusual to have no sex drive for three months in a row? In general, I've never been a very sexual person, though I started having sex early (in high school). I love my husband dearly, but I can't really see "putting out" and pretending to be into it. The condoms are part of the issue though--too much trouble to deal with, easier not to have sex at all.

Not to harp on your brotherbloat, but if you do not know how your husband feels about the situation, then shouldn't that be a warning sign that you two are not communicating very well?

Often times in relationships one partner feels things are just fine and the other one is seething with resentment. Personally I do not think it is normal not having sex for months at a time when you are just married. Blaming condoms for not having sex does not cut it in my book.

My mom is a counselor and your situation seems very much like alot of the situations she has encountered. Lack of maritial communication, lonely depressed wife unable to cope, lack of sex between partners, usually ends up in divorce from what I have seen.

Im not trying to harp on you, but I can see why you feel lonely and have alot of emotional issues, I would feel the same way if I were in your marriage, it sounds terrible to me!! thats just me though. I wish you best of luck.

brotherbloat said:
So you're saying if your wife were a quadroplegic then you would divorce her b/c she couldn't have sex anymore? I would never do anything like that, I feel sex really isn't that big of a deal. It gets kind of routine and "old", don't you think?

Obiviously marriage is a lifelong commitment, and if my wife was injured I would do all I can to take care of her and be there for her.

However that is not the circumstances for most people. You are a young healthy couple no need to act like we are 90 years old!! SEx does not get old!! thats like saying good pizza gets old. Are you sure you are not depressed? I only ask because alot of times people in depression no longer find joy in the things that make life beautiful.

Some things in life never get old, no matter how many times you do it. Saying that sex gets old is like saying, watching the mountains, beautiful sunsets, good food, good friends get old. Which it doesnt for me.

I personally think that physical intimacy and sex is one of the greatest expressions that two people can give to each other. I cannot pretend to think that i know what you are feeling, but I do find your situation a little unusual, see post above. Sorry if I am sounding a bit to harsh. Best of luck!!

To the OP:
You might think that you get help here on this internet BB, but you don't. Discussing your situation with total strangers on the internet CANNOT replace an evaluation with a qualified psychiatrist and possibly a marital counselor.
Loss of sexual desire along with many of the symptoms you have described in your prior posts, can be a sign of an underlying psychiatric condition (probably something in the depression/adjustment disorder spectrum). PLEASE, get qualified help, don't use your financial situation as a convenient excuse not to seek it.

brotherbloat said:

I don't know your exact financial situation, but I know that there are many marriage and family therapists that offer sliding scale for low-income clients without health insurance. A session usually costs about $30-40. Even if you would go for a few sessions every two weeks, it would really help you guys bring to the surface any possible issues. It is better to see someone before things get bad. It makes good financial sense too, as you would have to pay significantly more once you have much deeper and ingrained issues to work out.

emogrrrrl said:
The symptothermal method incorporates 3 methods of natural contraception; temperature, cervical mucus, and calendar. Each of those separately do have a failure rate around 25%. I decided to research the method you practice and I find it interesting that it has a failure rate that low. On the website I read that it was only under strict supervision that the failure rate was 3% for the first year...what does "strict supervision" entail? I can't imagine having that much patience to monitor my body, so props to you both.
You cannot take 3 separate statisitics and just average them like that. The sympto-thermal method, when used properly and conservatively has a failure method more around 1-2%. By conservative I mean taking your temp at the same time everyday under good sleep conditions and before getting out of bed and monitoring your cervical fluid everyday. If you want, you can also monitor your cervical position but not everyone does this. Once you've got that noted, it's up to you to make sure that you don't have unprotected sex beyond cycle day 5 or before 3 days after ovulation. If you want to be REALLY conservative about it, you abstain during that time. It's really quite simple. Trust me, if it had a 25% failure rate, we would NOT be using this method. I know a girl that has used this method successfully for FIVE YEARS to avoid pregnancy.

To the OP, as long as you and your DH are in agreement about your sex life, that's fine. It becomes an issue once you are not in agreement or do not know what the other person thinks. Personally, mine was very complacement when I was on the BCP, but I can tell you he is definitely happier now that I am off.

tlew12778 said:
You cannot take 3 separate statisitics and just average them like that.

Hahahah, I didn't take 3 separate statistics and average them (I'm not an idiot :rolleyes: ). I did use an actual source and I was referring to typical use failure rates for each method separately.
Either way, I had already said that I stand corrected involving your specific method of contraception.

brotherbloat said:
I am a married 28-year old woman who uses condoms exclusively in marriage (and before as well.) As I have no married female friends to ask, I wondered how common it is for others to use condoms even while married. Once you're married, do you give them up? If so, what do you use?

For me, I don't want to take birth control pills because I don't want to mess around with my hormones, and I feel that other methods are too unreliable.

Just wondering.

i think that if condoms and your frequency of sex works for you, the more power to you. everyone is different, and i wouldn't let people on the internet tell you how healthy or unhealthy your marriage is. i imagine every relationship goes through frisky stages and not-so-frisky stages.

that being said, if you are worried about it, maybe you should start setting aside some "date nights" where you set aside 3 hours for a romantic evening/morning/afternoon with the sole purpose of shaggin'. :love: works for me and my partner. if we don't set aside that time however, with our busy schedules, the sex definitely doesn't happen as frequently.

as for birth control, i will say that i have a very sensitive body and was very hesitant to take the pill. i started out on ortho-tricyclen and it was horrible! but i switched to something different (mircette) and it has been great. it has cleared up my skin and i have not experienced any side effects other than the first month of use. i love it.

brotherbloat said:

Is it unusual to have no sex drive for three months in a row?

male poster here. I am not a psychologist or anything, but if the above is true then either:

1. your husband is miserable.
1. your husband is secretly gay.
2. your husband is getting some on the side.
3. your husband tragically lost both testicles and is too ashamed to tell you.

llort said:
male poster here. I am not a psychologist or anything, but if the above is true then either:

1. your husband is miserable.
1. your husband is secretly gay.
2. your husband is getting some on the side.
3. your husband tragically lost both testicles and is too ashamed to tell you.

I would agree from the male perpective. Maybe there are guys with that low a sex drive, but I don't know any.

brotherbloat said:

Just wondering.
Yes, some couples who are married do choose to use condoms as their primary means of contraception.

As far as the pill goes, the mechanisms by which it prevents pregnancy are the same as those experienced by women who are breastfeeding. Estrogen and progesterone are found endogenously in women's bodies. It's not like you are introducing a foreign substance. If you don't want to mess with your hormones, you won't ever want to get pregnant. ;)

Whoever said polyurethane condoms are more comfortable was right on. (They would be even if I wasn't allergic to latex! :laugh: )

MoosePilot said:
I would agree from the male perpective. Maybe there are guys with that low a sex drive, but I don't know any.

Maybe you do. I was married to one, myself, until recently. He wanted very badly to believe it wasn't true, that the problem was that *I* was doing something to make him lose interest. He certainly didn't run around telling people he wasn't so much for the woohoo.

MoosePilot said:

I think there are some guys with this low a sex drive, but it's pretty unusual. Usually there's something else going on when a man's this uninterested...maybe he's depressed, maybe he's obese and feeling bad about it, maybe he's obsessed with internet porn to the point where he's not interested in the real thing, maybe he's getting some on the side, maybe he's gay and won't admit it to himself. Or, maybe he really does have that low a sex drive. Usually, though, I think that when people are going months without having sex it's indicative of some kind of problem in the relationship and breakdown in communication. Often issues from other areas of the relationship transfer into the bedroom in the form of low desire in one or both people. If you both just naturally have a low sex drive and it's always been this way and you're both happy with the situation, there's nothing wrong with that, but that's a fairly uncommon scenario. If there's been a recent drop-off in your sex life I would try to get to the bottom of why. TALK about it with your husband. I think if you really thought everything was okay you probably wouldn't be here asking us about it, so if you're worried and thinking it's a problem, then it probably is one...that's my opinion.

Oh, and by the way I noticed you mentioned condoms make sex uncomfortable for you...could that be why you're not interested lately? My husband and I had to use condoms once for a couple weeks as a back-up to our hormonal method, and I have to say I found them to be really uncomfortable. Haven't used them before or since but I don't know how you guys who use them regularly put up with it. I found it made things so dry as to be painful, and I think these were the pre-lubricated ones. Yeah, I know, they're really important for preventing STD's etc. and I certainly counsel all my patients to use them...but personally I hate the damn things. If sex is uncomfortable for you then of course you're not going to enjoy it or want it very often, so if the condoms are uncomfortable I'd say try a different brand or try using additional lube or something, or else switch to a different method of birth control because sex really shouldn't be uncomfortable. The IUD might be a good option for you since you're married and monogamous, and it's non-hormonal. Also I've had great success with NuvaRing which is a hormonal method but a much lower dose of hormones than most pills...it's an intravaginal ring and since the hormones are released locally I guess you don't need as much of them for it to be effective, so if you don't like hormones this might be kind of a compromise method...it does have hormones but not very much and personally I've had no side effects and think it's very convenient. Good luck working things out.

try: luricant and foreplay

Be sure that it is 'rubber safe'. Petroleum jelly e.g. will dissolve regular condoms...

f_w said:
try: luricant and foreplay

Be sure that it is 'rubber safe'. Petroleum jelly e.g. will dissolve regular condoms...
LOL. It should say that on the packaging. But, if people don't know they ought to use lubricant, they may not know what kinds to avoid. Point well taken.

Polyurethane is more comfortable anyway and you can use whatever kind of lubricant you want with it. Not that I really see petroleum jelly as a quality option, but, whatever. :laugh:

brotherbloat said:
I guess I've never given birth control much thought. I always thought that if you didn't want to go on the pill, condoms were pretty much the only reliable thing.

Try the ring. My wife switched from the pill and has convinced all of her friends to use it as well. It is lower in hormones than the pill, so technically there should be less side effects (though I've only known one woman with adverse effects from hormone BC.)

Sex is very important to a marriage - it doesn't define intamacy, but strengthens it. I find whenever sex frequency starts dropping off, one of us typically is wrestling with problems in personal/professional lives.

Condoms work, but you need to use them judiciously. We've used them in the past but:#1 sex is sometimes spontaneous and they don't spontaneously apply themselves and #2 they suck.

You have to do what works though, an unplanned pregnancy in medical school would not make your journey an easy one.

Good luck

Just thought I'd chime in with some more contraceptive info. I've worked at a women's health clinic for several years, our clinic is non-profit and we have funding available so ALL methods of birth control--the pill, the patch, the shot, nuvaring, IUD's, condoms. etc--are FREE to women making up to 200% of the federal poverty level (for a single woman, this is about $1400/month). This is in OR, and I know a similar program exists in WA; not sure about other states, but I would encourage those concerned about the costs of birth control (someone mentioned paying $70/month for the nuvaring :eek: ) to call their local Planned Parenthood or similar organization to see what kind of assistance programs are available. No one should go without birth control because of the cost.

There has been some good advice on this thread, but also a tiny bit of misinformation. The IUD does not increase your risk of getting an STD, but if you contract one while you have an IUD in place you are at an increased risk of developing pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), a serious infection that occurs when untreated cervical infection--usually from chlamydia or gonorrhea--spreads further into the reproductive tract causing severe pain and infertility. So, the IUD is best for women at a low risk for contracting an STD--such as those in mutually monogamous relationships. The IUD is very safe and effective, and relatively simple to insert and remove (done on an outpatient basis by your OB/GYN in about half an hour, using local anesthetics), and there are hormonal and non-hormonal devices available, so it can be a great option for women who want a long-term, effective, non-hormonal birth control. We have seen a dramatic increase in the popularity of IUD's over the last few years, and many women seem very happy with them.

The ring is another good option for women concerned about hormones, it contains the lowest amount of any of the hormonal methods we have available currently. Most women experience few side effects on it, although some still do. It is very easy to use (ring is inserted vaginally once a month, where it stays in place and releases hormones directly to the cervix) and, like all hormonal methods when used correctly, very effective. I have been using the depo provera shot for almost ten years and am thinking about switching to the ring, in light of the new studies indicating long term use of depo can lead to loss of bone mass density. Many of the women at my work are using the ring and love it.

Good luck with finding a method that works for you! As far as the whole frequency of sex thing goes, only you and your partner can decide what is healthy for your relationship. However, this will involve some communication, which doesn't seem to have occurred yet. You need to talk with your husband about how he feels about the lack of sex, what you both want, and if there are underlying issues (personal or in your relationship) leading to a lack of physical intimacy. Be honest and non-judgemental with each other, and willing to compromise. I think in any long-term relationship, it takes effort to keep your sex life fun and engaging for both people. My BF and I have been together for three years, there are times when we are more or less sexually active but we make a point of being intimate on a regular basis even if we are both stressed, and to know each other's likes and dislikes so we are making an effort to please each other, not just mechanically "going through the motions." ;) Your relationship is worth the effort! :thumbup:

great post, mistress_s! :thumbup:

Seems like the OP is getting some great advice here. Just a comment on reasons not to use birth control pills: When I was on the pill I did have decreased libido, but we dealt with it. With the first type I was on I had horrible mood swings, but once I switched to a different type I was fine. For the most part I didn't have any trouble while on the pill. HOWEVER, the problem came when my husband and I decided we wanted to try to have a baby. It is now 6 months since I stopped the pill and I have yet to ovulate. Before starting on birth control I had a very regular cycle. Now, it often takes a while to get pregnant even when everything is going right, but it's impossible to get pregnant when you don't ovulate!!! The situation has caused me quite a bit of stress.

I will never go back on the pill because I don't want to play with what is obviously a delicate hormonal balance in my body. Most of my friends don't realize that after stopping the pill it can take a substantial amount of time for a woman to ovulate and re-start her normal menstrual cycle. Many women, especially, I've noticed, women going into time-consuming professions such as medicine, assume that they will be able to have children on a schedule. Aside from the normal variability in how long it takes to conceive, coming off of birth control is a significant consideration.

Anyway, this is why I hate the pill.

bananaface, where can one find latex-free condoms? I've looked but I've never seen them in a store.

You can buy the lamb skin brand at the Pharmacy. A little pricier but worth it. :D

Katee

tigress said:
Seems like the OP is getting some great advice here. Just a comment on reasons not to use birth control pills: When I was on the pill I did have decreased libido, but we dealt with it. With the first type I was on I had horrible mood swings, but once I switched to a different type I was fine. For the most part I didn't have any trouble while on the pill. HOWEVER, the problem came when my husband and I decided we wanted to try to have a baby. It is now 6 months since I stopped the pill and I have yet to ovulate. Before starting on birth control I had a very regular cycle. Now, it often takes a while to get pregnant even when everything is going right, but it's impossible to get pregnant when you don't ovulate!!! The situation has caused me quite a bit of stress.

I will never go back on the pill because I don't want to play with what is obviously a delicate hormonal balance in my body. Most of my friends don't realize that after stopping the pill it can take a substantial amount of time for a woman to ovulate and re-start her normal menstrual cycle. Many women, especially, I've noticed, women going into time-consuming professions such as medicine, assume that they will be able to have children on a schedule. Aside from the normal variability in how long it takes to conceive, coming off of birth control is a significant consideration.

Anyway, this is why I hate the pill.

bananaface, where can one find latex-free condoms? I've looked but I've never seen them in a store.

Many women get pregnant immediately after coming off the pill. Anything is possible.