Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Does anyone have a crystal ball concerning residencies?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by bustinbooty, Nov 16, 2001.

1. bustinbooty

bustinbooty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

As a MS1, I am in constant flux about which residency programs to aim for. However, by the middle of my second year, I at least want to be "aiming" somewhere.
    Can anyone look into their crystal ball and predict which residencies will be attractive, competitive, worthless, etc. 2/3 years down the road? I know that I should seek what interests me most (yada, yada, yada) but lifestyle is an important issue. For those of you in a residency now, what may you have done different, if anything?
    I know this is somewhat ambiguous, but I am looking for some real generalized answers.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well if lifestyle is what matters to you, then the lifestyle residencies will remain the same 4 years from now: most of the primary care specialties, radiology, derm and some of the surgical specialties like ENT and Plastics.

PM&R is really becoming more popular and surgical fields becoming less so. However, this happens every 5 years or so - Gen Surg is at a nadir right now but that may change in a few years.

Anyway, no crystal ball (and you REALLY should consider what you LIKE to do rather than what is popular or provides you the best lifestyle... ;) )

4. Voxel

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

I should tell you that there is a rather large upswing in the number of people applying to anesthesiology residencies in my medical school this year (mostly people switching from medicine). Speaking with other senior medical students I believe this to be a trend in my geographic area and maybe nationwide. Although I have no crystal ball, I think it will continue to get harder next year (close to the point it was in the early 80s). If you have not read or heard this, radiology has become much more difficult to match in than 3-5 years ago. PMR is also gaining slight increase as well. Overall, there is a general shift away from primary care (ie even most IM/Peds are planning on doing fellowships) and general surgery (and maybe even surgical specialties in general) at my school. My advice is to work hard in medical school because you never know how difficult your field will be when you apply to the match and do something you love.

5. Kimberli,

Can you tell me if someone with chronic neck and back pain can work as a surgeon? Thanks.

6. Winged Scapula

Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

7. Kimberli,

I don't have problems with long hours of standing as long as I maintain proper posture. My concern is with the bending of the neck and back during the actual surgery. It seems as if many of the surgeons don't use proper posture technique as they're doing the procedures. In your experience, do many surgeons suffer from some form of back pain? Thanks again.

8. srlondon

srlondon Member
    7+ Year Member

In response to the original poster, first year of med school is way to far in advance to be thinking about which residencies you should shoot for. Unless you have a burning interest in otolaryngology, your inclinations at this point should not close your mind to any of the experiences that you will have later in med school. Wait for your clerkships and try to get a feel for what interests you. If you've got any thoughts at this point, try taking advantage of the summer before 1st and 2nd years to do research or a clinical externship in that area to either rule it in or out.

Good luck!

9. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician