Does anyone have any personal experience with OMT working?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carn311

Dead tired.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having some trouble finding any research on osteopathic manipulation's effectivness.

Does anyone have any personal experiences with it working/not working, or links to any conclusive research?

Members don't see this ad.

carn311 said:
I'm having some trouble finding any research on osteopathic manipulation's effectivness.

Does anyone have any personal experiences with it working/not working, or links to any conclusive research?

http://www.jaoa.org/

I had a groin injury resolved with OMM.

I just got an extension lesion corrected by my lab partner in class... I would definetly say it works

Members don't see this ad :)
jonb12997 said:
I just got an extension lesion corrected by my lab partner in class... I would definetly say it works

I had Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. My right arm was numb medially and had paresthesia laterally. It was resolved after two sessions of OMM.

read an interesting research article investigating the effects of OMM/MMM/OMT (whatever its called) on pre and post op surgeries. they found that patients that received the OMM stayed fewer days in the hospital and reported quicker recoveries than patients on medication alone. interesting huh?

Yup, I've seen it work where allopathic pathways failed....search the new england journal of med...they have one or two papers supporting OMM's efficacy...

It feels good getting my back cracked.

When I was playing soccer in high school, I rolled my ankle and had a good month of rehab with a DO PM&R guy... at the time (i was only sixteen) I had no freakin' clue what OMM was, but I thought it was pretty sweet. And my ankle healed nicely (no idea if OMM was responsible-though). (also provided inspiration for career as DO)
anyways-- any of you DO students out there know what sort of manipulative techniques he could have been using? just curious.
thx.

As a P.T. and now a DO student i have achieved clinical results with OMM. I will not get into specifics but it can be amazing if the problem is musculoskeletal/neuromechanically related. I could go into specifics but it is best to just keep an open mind, learn the stuff yourself and get your own results. You will here plenty of clinical stories from your professors.

Yes. I had injured my back in a weightlifting accident to the point where I was taking two inch steps (yes, 2 inches was all I could move either foot forward at one time). Went to see my allopath and got maybe 10 degrees flexion from horizontal in a Lesseague's straight leg test before I started screaming. He put me on pain killer's/muscle relaxers. After the first round ran out, during which time I never walked correctly and had trouble moving, I went back. He prescribed again and said that if that didn't work, the next step was referral to surgery.

An admin asst at work suggested OMM. I went in and had to take the elevator to the second floor office. One side posture later and I'm walking out the door pain free. It took a few iterations of the treatment subsequent to that, but I've since earned two black belts and been physically active. It works.

I have used it in the family practice clinic I am at and on family and friends. It works wonders. "Where have you been all my life?" was one patient's reaction.

carn311 said:

My wife was in a car wreck and had some shoulder and rib problems. She couldn't breathe well and was hyperventilating. MD's at the ER wanted to give her some Ativan and some extensive (expensive) PT, bed rest, no work (no $$ to pay bills), and possibly surgery if it didn't just work itself out. I told her to find a DO. A DO resident at an urgent care clinic we went to was able to manipulate her injury and prescribe a muscle relaxer and an NSAID. She was feeling great and back to work 2 days later without PT, surgery, or narcs.

Similarly, a guy at our clinic had the same thing done. read about it at my blog. It's called: OMT: Peak flow

MaloCCOM said:
Similarly, a guy at our clinic had the same thing done. read about it at my blog. It's called: OMT: Peak flow

I get a lot of expired rib dysfunctions, as well as flexed dysfunctions of the thoracic vertebra, with the occasional innominate upshear. OMT has always helped my dyfunctions and I usually start feeling better instantly.

In the first year at PCSOM, we have learned Muscle Energy and Functional Technique, and are getting ready to learn Strain-Counterstrain. OMT is really good stuff when the mechanics are used properly. I look to see lots of upcoming research in the area of OMT treatment.