Does anyone have experience with Andrews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nautilus

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been looking at a lot of universities lately, and one I continue coming back to is Andrews. I've been combing through their site and cannot find any pre-medical society nor pre-medical counsolers - yet they state little more than half of their graduates (from the biology program) go on to medical school while most of the remaining either go directly to work in a laboratory setting or continue their education with a masters and PhD.

I plan on contacting them regarding this, but I will not be able to do so until sometime next week. So I turn to you, SDNers, and ask if anyone has any experience with the school and, if so, could they please shed some light onto the whole situation? I'm following most of the guidelines in "Becomming a Physician" (the same one that is highly recommended by every SDNer I've seen comment about books for pre-meds), but I'm also trying to follow my heart and conscience. I'd probably enjoy my time at Andrews more than any other option out there, but I'm hestitant to take such a large risk simply for personal satisfaction when I could have more assurance with another school. I was originally drawn to Andrews because it is a private, religious school with a small student population, small class sizes, and a very good track record with education (their biology students are in the top 91% of the country on tests). Not to mention the study abroad oppertunities are amazing, and the mixture of races and cultures could be a real learning experience for me (I believe they are ranked number one on the ethnic diversity US News chart for private schools).

But I'm rambling, trying to figure out how they have no (apparent) pre-med advisors nor club, yet half of their biology majors go on to med school. Perhaps they pad their statistics by admitting only the top in their classes?

Members don't see this ad.

If it seems like the school that you would like to attend, then go. Pre-med advisors nor pre-med clubs are necessary to go to medical school (niether is a degree in Biology for that matter). If you really want a school with a pre-med club, then you can start one at Andrews. Good luck...

I have no idea what you mean by "I'm hestitant to take such a large risk simply for personal satisfaction when I could have more assurance with another school."

I don't plan on majoring in biology, but I used it as an example because they state what the majority end up doing (med school, clinical research, or continuing education with a masters of phd). I'm more of an English guy, myself :)

The books I've read have said that both pre-med societies and pre-med advisors were more or less necessary. But I can honestly see how one could do without (for the most part, that is).

That quote came off a little too strong. I'd be satisfied at any of the schools to which I am applying - but with the most coming from the subject of this thread. I probably should have phrased it differently. I was aiming for "I don't want to put myself at a big disadvantage on one front for another which I could probably do without" (that being the little extra satisfaction of attending the school and possibly hurting my long term goals).

Thanks for replying, you've really given me something to think about until next week. :)