Does anyone know about these medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PleaseHelpMe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why these carribean schools are a lot easier to get into compared to other medical schools. Does getting an M.D. at one of these institution put one at a disadvantage in getting residency or licensure? Can anyone explain to me why admission isn't as selective as other medical schools in United States? Thanks!

sgu (www.sgu.edu), ross (www.rossmed.edu), saba (www.saba.edu) and auc (www.aucmed.edu).

Members don't see this ad.

Because people hate the caribbean. Seriously, honeymooners and spring breakers all go to Canada or Alaska now. Plus, with global warming, they're probably going to ignite or something soon. Honestly, if you could go to school in the stifling hot of the caribbean, or the year-round sunny pleasantness of Minnesota, which would you choose? And they have a bad reputation. That screwdriver implant guy probably came from the Caribbean. He probably even loves it there. For shame.

I'm pretty much useless to you.

PleaseHelpMe said:
I was wondering why these carribean schools are a lot easier to get into compared to other medical schools. Does getting an M.D. at one of these institution put one at a disadvantage in getting residency or licensure? Can anyone explain to me why admission isn't as selective as other medical schools in United States? Thanks!

sgu (www.sgu.edu), ross (www.rossmed.edu), saba (www.saba.edu) and auc (www.aucmed.edu).

If you are a U.S. resident who goes to a school in the Caribbean, you are a FMG (foreign medical graduate) and therefore you can only match after everybody from the U.S. schools already has a spot. There are several thousand extra spots, but the competitive residencies in the good places will already be taken.

Also, you have to pay lots of money in tuition (probably no more than a private or out-of-state public school in the U.S. though) for a school that does not have to meet the same standards as the ones here. Plus, you have to live in what is essentially a third world country for at least 1.5 years (Ross is like this, and then you do rotations in Florida).

Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to browse through a few of the posts to get an idea of why.

tacrum43 said:
If you are a U.S. resident who goes to a school in the Caribbean, you are a FMG (foreign medical graduate) and therefore you can only match after everybody from the U.S. schools already has a spot. There are several thousand extra spots, but the competitive residencies in the good places will already be taken.

Also, you have to pay lots of money in tuition (probably no more than a private or out-of-state public school in the U.S. though) for a school that does not have to meet the same standards as the ones here. Plus, you have to live in what is essentially a third world country for at least 1.5 years (Ross is like this, and then you do rotations in Florida).

Don't listen to most of what this pinhead says. Yes, tuition is steep and Grenada and St Vincent (SGU) and Dominica (Ross) are essentially third-world countries. And yes, matching is tougher, but we've got some great residencies (rad onc, neurosurg, ortho, ophto, anesthesia, ER). But it is FALSE that we wait for US grads to get their spots. And while my school (SGU) doesn't HAVE to meet US standards, it does anyhow. My basic science instructors retired from US, British, and Canadian medical schools but didn't want to quit teaching. Biochem chair came from NIH (Everything we know about mitochondria was discovered by him, at least as of when I took his class). Histo, embryo, and other professors wrote textbooks used in US schools. Give me a break -- medicine isn't rocket science.

I did my rotations in California, my anesthesia rotations at UCSF of all places. Most of my classmates did theirs in New York and New Jersey. Second highest Step 1 score? SGU grad. Crush the Boards? Written by a Ross grad. Talkin' trash about my school gets you an invitation to LICK MY BOOTS.

to the op...if you want to hear some honest opinions about caribbean schools i suggest going to www.valuemd.com
SDN is very anti caribbean(i still didn't figure out why). Don't let it get to you. There are some good things about studying in carribean schools you(especially these 4 you mentioned). The best thing is that they will take you were you need to be. And if you study your a$$ off and do great in med school, boards and clinicals you can get a good residency. Look at those schools match results. They do get competetive residencies(this year a girl from saba matched neurosurgery). It all comes donw to how much you want it and how much you are willing to work for it. Many schools like SGU for instance have comparable stats to the better DO schools (average 26 mcat, and 3.3 gpa). And it is not true that they do not reject anyone. They do and you would be surprised with the stats.best of luck to you :luck:

N2b8 said:
Don't listen to most of what this pinhead says. Yes, tuition is steep and Grenada and St Vincent (SGU) and Dominica (Ross) are essentially third-world countries. And yes, matching is tougher, but we've got some great residencies (rad onc, neurosurg, ortho, ophto, anesthesia, ER). But it is FALSE that we wait for US grads to get their spots. And while my school (SGU) doesn't HAVE to meet US standards, it does anyhow. My basic science instructors retired from US, British, and Canadian medical schools but didn't want to quit teaching. Biochem chair came from NIH (Everything we know about mitochondria was discovered by him, at least as of when I took his class). Histo, embryo, and other professors wrote textbooks used in US schools. Give me a break -- medicine isn't rocket science.

I did my rotations in California, my anesthesia rotations at UCSF of all places. Most of my classmates did theirs in New York and New Jersey. Second highest Step 1 score? SGU grad. Crush the Boards? Written by a Ross grad. Talkin' trash about my school gets you an invitation to LICK MY BOOTS.

YEAH SGU RULES!!!! I am very happy with my choice!!! also check out Valuemd.com for more info about carib. schools.

N2b8 said:

i agree...it's unfair to talk trash about caribbean schools when you essentially know NOTHING about them. i went to SGU voluntarily (yes, i had the grades to get into a US school but didn't want to deal with the superiority complexes i would encounter there) and i had a wonderful basic science education. SGU gives people a chance to be doctors that otherwise wouldn't have gotten the opportunity, and it does so with the same level and quality of education (some would argue maybe even superior to) as any US school. One of our neuro profs was the private neurologist to the pope for christ's sake!! (no pun intended)