Graduated from a disapproved school. Can I do residency in these states?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstud101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I graduated from a Caribbean medical school that's on California's disapproved list. Can I still do residency in the states that follow the California list? What states are those?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Alaska, Arkansas alabama Colorado, Kansas, Idaho, Indiana, New Mexico, north dakota Oregon, Tennessee and Vermont. I know in Indiana you cannot. I would assume not in the others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Alaska, Arkansas alabama Colorado, Kansas, Idaho, Indiana, New Mexico, north dakota Oregon, Tennessee and Vermont. I know in Indiana you cannot. I would assume not in the others.

thats 12 states that are listed.
Do a residency in one of them, get a medical license, and then you can practice anywhere in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you can get a state license where you want to practice-but if you do a US residency and pass your boards it shouldn’t be an issue

-someone please feel to correct me if I’m wrong....!

So even if a state follows the California list, it may not necessarily prevent me from doing my residency there? I'm asking because I'm trying to avoid applying in states that do prohibit me from training there so that I don't waste my application money.

Thanks for the responses!

Do a residency in one of them, get a medical license, and then you can practice anywhere in the US.

So am I still able to train during my residency in those states too?

I'm not 100% sure about the current status in all of those states. I go to a school where you can practice in any state, so haven't followed this the last few years. Also, California changed how they evaluate schools this year. If I had to guess, I would say you can't practice or match in a California state. I would contact each of those 12 state boards individually, and see where your school is with NY and FL. All the best!

Not necessarily. You have to get a state license for every state you want to practice in. If a state doesn’t accept your medical diploma, you probably won’t get a state license.

Reactions: 4 users
Not necessarily. You have to get a state license for every state you want to practice in. If a state doesn’t accept your medical diploma, you probably won’t get a state license.

very good point-I didn’t even think of that...

Ok so I emailed all of the above 12 states' medical boards and now I'll wait a week and see who replies. I'll then call the ones who sleep on it.. lol

So if your school is not on this list Schools Recognized | MBC

you can't do residency in CA or practice medicine in CA after completing residency in another state?