Does anyone know about this school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shawn2000

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you be an MD by attending this school. No science courses required to attend this school.

http://mededpath.org/index.php

Members don't see this ad.

doctors who study in India get the MBBS degree and when they pass their boards here they are MD's.

I've never heard of the school you mentioned but if something is too good to be true then it probably is.

Members don't see this ad :)
doctors who study in India get the MBBS degree and when they pass their boards here they are MD's.

I've never heard of the school you mentioned but if something is too good to be true then it probably is.
I'm pretty sure your degree isn't converted into an MD... you can practice though but you don't become an MD automatically. Like their website says, there's the possibility for full practice rights with an MBBS but you won't get an MD. I could be wrong though

I'm pretty sure your degree isn't converted into an MD... you can practice though but you don't become an MD automatically. Like their website says, there's the possibility for full practice rights with an MBBS but you won't get an MD. I could be wrong though

Nope hes right; when you pass step 1 and 2 your MBBS becomes an MD;
My parents are FMGs from Bangladesh who graduated with an MBBS, after they finished their step 1 they were considered to be MDs

that being said it was a definite struggle, its very difficult to match into residency being an FMG from anywhere, it took my parents about ~5-8 years to land a residency (in psych)

OP dont go this route, even if you get an MBBS to turn into a MD the stigma of being a FMG really sets you back, my advice: stay in the US, either MD/DO they will save you all ALOT of trouble, hardship and depression in the future

Are their other international medical schools like this that only require a bachelors an mcat? Any in the carribean/bahamas?

Thank you.

Uh no. You would get a MBBS not MD so no

Half the med schools in the world give an MBBS (or MBChB)! Very few countries actually give MDs. It means exactly the same thing.

If you don't know don't answer, especially in a way that could be seen as rude (I don't know if you actually meant it that way or not).

Nope hes right; when you pass step 1 and 2 your MBBS becomes an MD;
My parents are FMGs from Bangladesh who graduated with an MBBS, after they finished their step 1 they were considered to be MDs

Actually, this is incorrect.

If you get an MBBS, then that's what you have.

In order to get a residency you need to have an MD or any foreign equivalent (which is exactly what ECFMG certification is designed to address).

You do NOT get to say you have an MD if you pass the USMLE.

There was a program in New York years ago that allowed some foreign physicians to convert a foreign degree to an MD, but that program no longer exists.

As an MBBS, assuming you get licensed in the US, you can do anything an MD can do. So, there is no difference except what you have to put on your letterhead, business card, and white coat.

You do get to call yourself "doctor".

As far as the op's link, UQ is a very valid school. I have no idea what he/she means by "no science courses required to attend". The school includes 2 core years of basic science in Brisbane. You must take the MCAT to apply, and although I guess you could try taking the MCAT without taking any science courses, I doubt that will work out well for most.

So with an MBBS, you can practice general family doctor and get paid the same? What my master plan of course is to either work for a hosptital(stability) or start my own practice. Is it hard to get residency with an mbbs? Also is the first 2 years and last 2 years any different than going to a traditional us based medical school?

Thank you.

Shawn2000,

If you ever end up getting your own practice, or work at a hospital someday, would you be so kind as to announce on the Student Doctor Network the name of your practice and it's location so I can be sure to NEVER GO THERE.

So with an MBBS, you can practice general family doctor and get paid the same?

Yes. The degrees are "equivalent" in the eyes of licensing / credentialing groups. Again, you would need to do a US residency first and getting one from a foreign school is possible but not easy nor guaranteed.

What my master plan of course is to either work for a hosptital(stability) or start my own practice.

This is basically true for anyone.

Is it hard to get residency with an mbbs?

Yes, but not necessarily because of an "MBBS". Getting a US residency spot from a foreign school, regardless of the degree conferred, can be a challenge. Thousands of people do it every year, so it's definitely possible. But there are many more thousands who never get spots in the US. For those who have a plan B of practicing in their home country, no problem. For those who think the only thing that would be acceptable is practicing in the US, it can be a real problem.

Also is the first 2 years and last 2 years any different than going to a traditional us based medical school?

This will totally depend on the school. SOme programs are 5-6 years long.

-----
Look, here's the scoop. By the tone of your posts, you're trying to find the shortest/easiest way to get into medical school -- finding one that doesn't require science coursework beforehand, for example. This is perhaps the poorest plan I have seen posted here on SDN. Perhaps you're super smart and can teach yourself science courses and do great on the MCAT. If so, great. More likely, you'll find a way to get into some unknown medical school that is willing to take your money, end up either failing out (and losing any tuition in the process), or graduate with low USMLE scores and then have trouble getting a US residency spot. There are no shortcuts to medical school, or if there are you're likely to pay for them down the road. Do your prereq's, take the MCAT, and then try to get into medical school.

Actually, this is incorrect.

If you get an MBBS, then that's what you have.

In order to get a residency you need to have an MD or any foreign equivalent (which is exactly what ECFMG certification is designed to address).

There was a program in New York years ago that allowed some foreign physicians to convert a foreign degree to an MD, but that program no longer exists.

Indeed, I think the NY program that converts MBBS to MD doesn't exist right now, could be other services that do. But some state(s) don't care if an MBBS writes M.D. after his/her name.
Wisconsin

Use of the M. D. Title: The Wisconsin Medical Society defends the use of the M.D. title by physicians who graduated with an M.B.B.S. and are licensed to practice medicine in Wisconsin.[8]

When coming to the US and obtaining/graduating from residency, many MBBS doctors affix MD to the end of the their names and usually nobody's the wiser. It may be okay for private practice, or else patients might be confused. When in academic places, one should write one's real degrees.

Last edited:
The school you posted is University of Queensland in Australia. They have started a partnership with the Oschner health systems in Louisiana(?) which allow students do a Caribbean-esque program in which you do your two years of basic science in Australia and then your year 3/4 clinical years in the Oschner system.

Unless things have changed, this was only open to US citizens and comes with a huge added cost on top of the base UQ med school tuition.

MBBS in Australia = MD in US/Canada. In Australia the "MD" degree is associated with a higher research degree, kind of like having a PhD in medicine. When you come to the US/Canada with an MBBS from Australia you can still do anything an MD that is locally trained can do from FM to neurosurgery, the only difference is that your signature will say Dr. John Doe, MBBS instead of Dr. John Doe, MD. Usually when people are listed on faculty/department websites like this the country they trained in is listed beside their degree designation.

Dr. Jane Doe, MD
Dr. John Doe, MBBS (Australia)

Edit: As Shoushu mentioned above, in academic settings put your real degree. Where I mentioned Faculty/Department I meant when it is mentioned on a universities website.

The lack of science prerequisites OP is referring to (I think) are at the undegrad level required for admission. UQ does not require any specific courses the way US/Canadian schools do (OChem1/2, Bio1/2, etc).

This is perhaps the poorest plan I have seen posted here on SDN.

Lol keep looking around, they get worse and sometimes they can make for an entertaining read :D

I just spend a solid 30 minutes reading over one thread in the international section...maybe this is why I haven't graduated yet! :confused:

In Bangladesh,MD is an advanced degree after MBBS for which you have to study as well as practice medicine under supervision for 5 years in a public Hospital.It is divided into two phases(2+3).