-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Purely anecdotal but I have a friend who failed step 1 and failed a class and she got an interview with an HCA program ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ tbd whether she’ll be able to match with them but they did extend an interview invite to her at leastI see that so many HCA programs partipate in SOAP. So I am wondering if they accept board failures?
I vaguely remember a “no board failures” rule, but I don’t know if it’s a rule or more of a guideline (I was not particularly involved in recruitment/selection)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted845868
So many spots soap year after year at HCA hospitals so was wondering what that process was like. Do you have any insight? I’ve seen such mixed thingsI vaguely remember a “no board failures” rule, but I don’t know if it’s a rule or more of a guideline (I was not particularly involved in recruitment/selection)
D
deleted845868
That is great to hear! There are so many programs in Florida and that where I would like to end up. Got a good score on my level 2 on my first attempt so I hope that helps! Any advice from your friend?Purely anecdotal but I have a friend who failed step 1 and failed a class and she got an interview with an HCA program ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ tbd whether she’ll be able to match with them but they did extend an interview invite to her at least
You missed the “I wasn’t particularly involved in recruitment/selection” part. So sorry, no not really.So many spots soap year after year at HCA hospitals so was wondering what that process was like. Do you have any insight? I’ve seen such mixed things
Beggars cant be choosers, but there's a few pretty good reasons why HCA hospitals have to SOAPSo many spots soap year after year at HCA hospitals so was wondering what that process was like. Do you have any insight? I’ve seen such mixed things
D
deleted845868
I am more than happy getting any residency program but there are so many HCA in Florida and all programs I am interested in. But heard rumors that they don’t accept board failures and it’s written in their websites so curious as to if I have any chanceBeggars cant be choosers, but there's a few pretty good reasons why HCA hospitals have to SOAP
Given that it's incredibly easy to filter out board failures when going through residency applications, I suspect your interview yield is likely to be lower for your target specialty. Doesn't mean you have no chance, but I would be prepared to SOAP or go unmached.I am more than happy getting any residency program but there are so many HCA in Florida and all programs I am interested in. But heard rumors that they don’t accept board failures and it’s written in their websites so curious as to if I have any chance
Failing a board exam once is a red flag. Two failures is a big hurdle to overcome.
D
deleted845868
I completely understand that. Thank you for the insight. I got above a 500 on level 2 on my first attempt..do you think that would help as far as the filtering process?Given that it's incredibly easy to filter out board failures when going through residency applications, I suspect your interview yield is likely to be lower for your target specialty. Doesn't mean you have no chance, but I would be prepared to SOAP or go unmached.
Failing a board exam once is a red flag. Two failures is a big hurdle to overcome.
I think for programs that don't extensively utilize the ERAS filter it will help, but for places that do have a filter they likely won't even see your application, much less have a time to read it.I completely understand that. Thank you for the insight. I got above a 500 on level 2 on my first attempt..do you think that would help as far as the filtering process?
D
deleted845868
thank you for all of the insight. I really appreciate it!I think for programs that don't extensively utilize the ERAS filter it will help, but for places that do have a filter they likely won't even see your application, much less have a time to read it.
I am more than happy getting any residency program but there are so many HCA in Florida and all programs I am interested in. But heard rumors that they don’t accept board failures and it’s written in their websites so curious as to if I have any chance
You need to apply very, very broadly. ALWAYS better to match than SOAP. I would not apply to HCA programs unless absolutely necessary. In many cases, you're better off working for a non-profit in the middle of nowheresville than at an HCA in your dream town. Profit driven medicine is not good.
D
deleted845868
Are you applying again this year? I heard people that have board failures that have soaped at HCA hospitals. What states did you apply to?The last 3 years I applied I never got any HCA interviews with any failures, unfortunately.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea I applied again this year. Tried soaping but all HCA hospitals told me no failures allowed, or if so you can with just 1 failure but not 2. I applied to every state in the country including Alaska.Are you applying again this year? I heard people that have board failures that have soaped at HCA hospitals. What states did you apply to?
D
deleted845868
I see. Guess we just gotta try to use our connections to get spots.. it seems like that the most effective way. I know a good amount of people in residencies that would vouche for me and I plan to do subinternships. Hope it all works out..
D
deleted845868
Which specialties did you apply to?Yea I applied again this year. Tried soaping but all HCA hospitals told me no failures allowed, or if so you can with just 1 failure but not 2. I applied to every state in the country including Alaska.
Good luck! Hope it works out! I applied to like 8 or 9 specialties this year.Which specialties did you apply to?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 672
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 391
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 2K