does anyone know what's is the pass rate of USN? and How many ppl they accept?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinki

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's the pass rate ? how many ppl they accept each year? thank you

Members don't see this ad.

what's the pass rate ? how many ppl they accept each year? thank you

2006 Application Statistics: 1472 applications received; 194 students admitted (142 Nevada Campus and 52 Utah Campus); Overall GPA of admitted students was 3.7.

From USN's website.

Not sure of pass rate. But this is definitely one of those schools who favor high gpa's. I remember a few years back, they took all their applicants on a spreadsheet, and only reviewed students with the top X gpa's. Everyone else was just cut off and rejected.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this years numbers were a little higher. I know they recieved closer to, if not more than, 2000 applications (Title IV Funding really pulled this number up). Expected to interview between 500-600 (for ~220 seats). They are still admitting ~140 for Henderson campus, and now ~80 for South Jordan campus. Not real sure about overall GPA stats for this years cycle, but I'd imagine it would still be at a 3.7 or even higher, considering the larger candidate pool.

GPA is definately one of the main factors involved when it comes to admissions at USN. They have an "Academic Achievement Score" system which basically rewards a set number of points to candidates based on Science GPA, Overall GPA, Degree Earned/Completed Pre-reqs, and Interview. I think the numbers piyi posted on another thread are pretty accurate, as I've heard these same ones several times: "28 for overall GPA; 28 for prereq GPA; 40 for interview. I believe the other 4 points are for if you have a bachelors, masters, or doctorate." Although I have also heard that it's 1 point for each: Completed ALL Pre-reqs, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate...but who knows.

As far as the spreadsheet and GPA cut-off thing, I actually think that's pretty accurate. They compute all Academic Achievement scores based on Science & Overall GPA, come up with a scale, and candidates with scores down to a certain point will get interview invitations...the remainder won't. At that point its up to you to just nail the interview, because you already know you have the grades they're looking for. After interviews they re-calculate scores and send admissions invitations to those with the highest set of scores.

From what I know the pass rate on an overall scope is pretty good, especially considering that USN is an accellerated program. USN's block system curriculum is set up so there is an assessment every other Friday. No traditional grades, and a Pass/Fail system that has a cut off at 90% which seems pretty challenging (in the traditional sense you basically have to maintain a 4.0 GPA to pass).

From what I've heard the blocks vary in difficulty and in pass rates. On some blocks nearly everyone passes, and on others up to 25% of the class might fail the assessment.

If you don't get a 90% or better on your assessment, you have an opportunity to remediate and take another assessment on the same material the following Monday. If you fail that assessment you are given a summer remediation. After you accumulate 3 summer remediations you are placed on Academic Probation and are given the opportunity to voluntarily drop enrollment and return next year to retake your P1 year. From what I understood from the conversation I had with a current p1 student...after someone accumulates more than 5 summer remediations, they are kicked out of the program and not allowed to return. So far, the person I spoke to about this said there have been about 6 students who have dropped out so far this year (all voluntary she thought).

Overall though, USN seems to have a pretty good retention rate, and those students who do make it through the program have proven to be extremely competent (you can't really argue with a 97% NAPLEX pass rate). This is one of the main reasons I'm excited about going to USN. Not only will I be able to condense the program length into 3 years, but I also feel very confident that I will recieve a great education.

Hey eddie...

From what I've heard Pacific U. is supposed to virtually mirror USN's program. Do you feel like they handle their admissions process differently? Just curious to see what differences or similarities the two programs might have.

I think this years numbers were a little higher. I know they recieved closer to, if not more than, 2000 applications (Title IV Funding really pulled this number up). Expected to interview between 500-600 (for ~220 seats). They are still admitting ~140 for Henderson campus, and now ~80 for South Jordan campus. Not real sure about overall GPA stats for this years cycle, but I'd imagine it would still be at a 3.7 or even higher, considering the larger candidate pool.

GPA is definately one of the main factors involved when it comes to admissions at USN. They have an "Academic Achievement Score" system which basically rewards a set number of points to candidates based on Science GPA, Overall GPA, Degree Earned/Completed Pre-reqs, and Interview. I think the numbers piyi posted on another thread are pretty accurate, as I've heard these same ones several times: "28 for overall GPA; 28 for prereq GPA; 40 for interview. I believe the other 4 points are for if you have a bachelors, masters, or doctorate." Although I have also heard that it's 1 point for each: Completed ALL Pre-reqs, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate...but who knows.

As far as the spreadsheet and GPA cut-off thing, I actually think that's pretty accurate. They compute all Academic Achievement scores based on Science & Overall GPA, come up with a scale, and candidates with scores down to a certain point will get interview invitations...the remainder won't. At that point its up to you to just nail the interview, because you already know you have the grades they're looking for. After interviews they re-calculate scores and send admissions invitations to those with the highest set of scores.

From what I know the pass rate on an overall scope is pretty good, especially considering that USN is an accellerated program. USN's block system curriculum is set up so there is an assessment every other Friday. No traditional grades, and a Pass/Fail system that has a cut off at 90% which seems pretty challenging (in the traditional sense you basically have to maintain a 4.0 GPA to pass).

From what I've heard the blocks vary in difficulty and in pass rates. On some blocks nearly everyone passes, and on others up to 25% of the class might fail the assessment.

If you don't get a 90% or better on your assessment, you have an opportunity to remediate and take another assessment on the same material the following Monday. If you fail that assessment you are given a summer remediation. After you accumulate 3 summer remediations you are placed on Academic Probation and are given the opportunity to voluntarily drop enrollment and return next year to retake your P1 year. From what I understood from the conversation I had with a current p1 student...after someone accumulates more than 5 summer remediations, they are kicked out of the program and not allowed to return. So far, the person I spoke to about this said there have been about 6 students who have dropped out so far this year (all voluntary she thought).

Overall though, USN seems to have a pretty good retention rate, and those students who do make it through the program have proven to be extremely competent (you can't really argue with a 97% NAPLEX pass rate). This is one of the main reasons I'm excited about going to USN. Not only will I be able to condense the program length into 3 years, but I also feel very confident that I will recieve a great education.

thanx for all the info, that was very helpful:)