Does anyone send 'thank you' note for the interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATTT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had NYCOM interview last thursday and wondering if I should email "thank you" note to him.

Does anyone do it?

Members don't see this ad.

I sent thank you emails. I requested email info when I met my interviewer. Only send one if you won't freak out if a reply does not show up in your inbox.

I don't think it is a big deal if you skip the thank you email/letter.

:luck:

WHOAAA, don't even think about not sending a thank you note anywhere you interview. Always a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent thank you emails and got some replies too thanking me for sending thank you emails, lol

DO IT !!

Tell them what you liked about their program and thank them for taking the time to meet with you ... etc etc

gluck

I sent notes and Christmas cards via snail mail.:luck:

NO i didn't send any to the places i applied.
I got into the school of my choice. Didn't seem to hurt me...

Sending a thank you note or email is good etiquette. There are times where it may neither help nor hurt your chances of acceptance, but it is still a nice gesture. The interviewers take time out of their schedule to assist applicants and they are often times your only direct link to the admission committee. Send a thank you.

I've sent thank you notes to 1/2 schools I interviewed at. It doesnt' make a difference in terms of helping you be accepted, but it is good etiquette. I am going to send some out to PCOM either tomorrow or Wednesday.

I highly recommend them as a professional courtesy.

I had NYCOM interview last thursday and wondering if I should email "thank you" note to him.

Does anyone do it?

In terms of whether or not it will ultimately effect the decision to offer you an acceptance or not, I doubt it. I only offer this information since you mentioned NYCOM specifically, as I interviewed on a thursday, sent a thank you note on the subsequent monday, and received an acceptance on thursday of the same week (which was dated the day after I mailed my thank you note.) It's entirely up to you.

In terms of whether or not it will ultimately effect the decision to offer you an acceptance or not, I doubt it. I only offer this information since you mentioned NYCOM specifically, as I interviewed on a thursday, sent a thank you note on the subsequent monday, and received an acceptance on thursday of the same week (which was dated the day after I mailed my thank you note.) It's entirely up to you.

so.. you interviewed at 18th, exactly a week before mine. I know it has been asked a million time, but how long did it take to get the snail mail acceptance (although they said 2-3 weeks)?
Do you mind telling your stats?

I sent notes and Christmas cards via snail mail.:luck:

I told you...you rock...I never even thought about sending a christmas cards to ADCOMS...thats good!!!!

As an interviewer, I'm honestly surprised how few students send thank you notes/emails. How much time does it honestly take?? I guess this was just how I was brought up, but it is a simple gesture that can be very nice to see.

It in no way affects my decision, since my eval is completed at the time of the interview, but I honestly have no idea if the faculty interviewers pass along info to the adcom. I would imagine that w/ close-knit faculty, a thank-you note can do nothing but cement in place good feelings if they were present to begin.

Members don't see this ad :)
so.. you interviewed at 18th, exactly a week before mine. I know it has been asked a million time, but how long did it take to get the snail mail acceptance (although they said 2-3 weeks)?
Do you mind telling your stats?

I received the acceptance in the mail exactly one week after interviewing, which is why I am positive (at least in my case) that a thank you-note had nothing to do with it. As for stats,

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=6800

I actually sent update letter after my interview where I said thank you :)

I have sent e-mail thank you's before. However the medical school's computer system placed my e-mail in Spam and my recipient never even knew she got my note. So now I send thank you's via snail mail.

The business school I went to actually taught us to write thank you notes with the emphasis being how well we liked the company and how we felt that our strengths matched the company's needs. Then we were to conclude with our added interest in the job and further contact information should the interviewer need clarification on something. Then we would add a line at the end that said, "I will call in a week or two if I have not been notified about a decision." This kept communications open. Not sure why I shared the standard "b-school" thank you letter template. .....bored I guess.

One school I interviewed at asked us not to, but unless they directly request otherwise--it couldn't hurt. If you feel inclined, had a particularly good conversation or experience, or someone went out of their way for you (Bob the driver at LMU-DCOM comes to mind :cool:)--I'm sure it would be appreciated.

I'm sending some out later today to adcoms and the professors that interviewed me. :thumbup:

send a thank you note if you feel like you have someone to thank. don't do it for any other reasons, it's not going to have an effect on your application.

I didn't send a thank you note becuase I didn't know the e-mail or mailing adress of my interviewer. I was still accepted NYCOM. But if you do have that information I belive you should do it. It will only reinforce the good impression (hopefully) you left with the interviewer. Good luck on interviews!!!!:) :thumbup: :luck:

In my experience, schools I've visited frown upon them. They often score your file before tomorrow's mail hits the box anyway.

As for saying thanks, I've usually not felt compelled to do it during the interview process unless the school was paying my way.

In my experience, schools I've visited frown upon them. They often score your file before tomorrow's mail hits the box anyway.

As for saying thanks, I've usually not felt compelled to do it during the interview process unless the school was paying my way.

Schools frown on thank you notes?!?! :laugh: I'm sure your vast experience in visiting schools has given you tremendous insight into how an application is judged.

You should really try to refrain from giving bad advice. If a person goes to interview at a school, enjoys their interview & the school in general...How is that not reason enough to send a 'Thank you'? At worst, this gesture would have zero effect on your application & at best give you a boost that you may need in the right direction.

You should really try to refrain from giving bad advice. If a person goes to interview at a school, enjoys their interview & the school in general...How is that not reason enough to send a 'Thank you'? At worst, this gesture would have zero effect on your application & at best give you a boost that you may need in the right direction.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Schools frown on thank you notes?!?! :laugh: I'm sure your vast experience in visiting schools has given you tremendous insight into how an application is judged.

I interviewed at about 20 schools from 2000 to 2005. A few never commented on them, but the ones who did said, "Please don't send thank you notes. We will have scored your app this afternoon." One or two gave us an address to send them to, but the trend was to frown upon them.

Of course I should amend that I didn't look to see that this was in pre-osteo and not pre-allo. All of the places I went to were allo.

I'll say this, though, if it gave you a boost; then everyone should do it. Then everyone gets the same boost resulting in no boost. In the allo world, everything is far more quantitative than students want to believe. It has to be when you're narrowing down from 2,000 apps to 150 matriculants. Since osteo classes are even smaller, I could speculate that it is even more quantitative there; but I won't because I can see that I am already in unfriendly waters.

So sorry for sharing my experience, but they seemed to be annoyed by them more than pleased.