Does anyone take step 1 in early May?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After stopping up at school and seeing all of the M2s studying away, I don't know if I could do it for a month after school lets out. How common/doable is it to take a prep course or something during second year and then take Step 1 in early May?

Members don't see this ad.

After stopping up at school and seeing all of the M2s studying away, I don't know if I could do it for a month after school lets out. How common/doable is it to take a prep course or something during second year and then take Step 1 in early May?

A girl from my class took it a week after classes ended, on May 23. We all thought she was crazy. But it's do-able.

I took it 2 weeks before class ended second year(took 5/14, classes ended 5/23). Just studied hard for the first two years and really learned the stuff well, so I just felt ready and was doing well on my practice tests, so I just took it. I went to grad school before too which helped.

Some Caribbean students tend to end in April if they started in August/September of their first year, and a few in my class took it in March! Needless to say, most of them barely passed, but some scored >230. It gets me thinking, with a given pool of students and the relative scoring of the Step 1, maybe it serves better to take the test at a one time as opposed to another time...:confused:

Just a thought.