Does anyone use linkedin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Forssmann

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys use your linkedin accounts? Is it just like facebook? Is it advantageous to a future carreer in medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, being someone who has recently graduated and now in a gap year, I don't even have an account. I just don't see the point. All my other non-premed friends have an account though and seem to put it to use.

I have one, but don't use it (nothing on it besides school). I see my many premed friends use it and can't help to wonder what the point is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one. Don't use it. Probably doesn't even help to be honest. Med schools are not going to go looking at every applicant's online accounts. If they have concerns, they may look, but idk how often they look just because they want to (as a whole ADCOM, perhaps some members look > other members)

as far as if it will be beneficial to your career once you are graduated? i dunno, but probably not hugely significant

I have one and use it as an online resume kinda thing. Got like 2 job interview offers that way.

Reactions: 2 users
I have one and keep it up to date, mostly so that when people Google my name, something positive and professional shows up. It isn't extremely beneficial to have one, especially since you won't actually be working for another couple years, but it can be nice to have to keep track of things you will have on your resume/CV.

Researchgate is where it's at.

Reactions: 1 user
What doctor strange said.

Also it is good for keeping up with professional developments of old classmates/coworkers. Different stuff than what you'll find on facebook.

I have a LinkedIn account, but it's very new and therefore I have very few connections. I don't think it's used for science/med school stuff as much as other fields. I'm sure that will change. I know my cousin is very good about updating her acct, but she's in finance.

if you want to be a doctor, there is really no point to have a linkedin

I have one to aid in finding internships for my summers

Sometimes I do. Most places accept Linkedin as a resume and it makes it easier to address everything about you on there.

Found my gap year job in pharma there...

Reactions: 1 user
I have one. I'm not active on it, but i did get multiple intervew offers from having up during my gap year.

When I was pre-med I used Inmail multiple times to coldcall clinicians in fields that I had an interest in just to hear about their experiences, etc. People were very receptive. I had already been using linkedin since I was in consulting, but a lot of doctors will respond to you if you are interested and polite.