Does anyone wear masks anymore in your area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
They are still mandated in health facilities like doctor's offices, but other than that I rarely see anyone wear a mask anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

Some people wear it, some don't. Whichever they are comfortable with.

I’d say maybe 25% around here, but no one cares if you do or you don’t. I haven’t worn one in months/since we got out of the delta surge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not too much. And we actually don't have to wear them in our hospital either (unless patient specifically requests it).

They are still mandated in health facilities like doctor's offices, but other than that I rarely see anyone wear a mask anymore.
YES! And it drives me mad! A single driver in an Automobile, wearing a mask!!! A person walking on a nature trail, TODAY, wearing a mask AND moving off the trail to avoid me coming the other way. And, of course, everyone at every major hospital system in Georgia, all the time!

YES! And it drives me mad! A single driver in an Automobile, wearing a mask!!! A person walking on a nature trail, TODAY, wearing a mask AND moving off the trail to avoid me coming the other way. And, of course, everyone at every major hospital system in Georgia, all the time!

That's surprising, I thought the entire south was anti mask. Sometimes I forget to take it off after going inside the grocery store, so I guess I'm that single driver wearing a mask in a car. I've gotten so used to wearing them.

That's surprising, I thought the entire south was anti mask. Sometimes I forget to take it off after going inside the grocery store, so I guess I'm that single driver wearing a mask in a car. I've gotten so used to wearing them.
The "new South" - Metro Atlanta Area, very diverse, very liberal. We are the ones that gave the state to Biden, by 11000 votes. NOW step out of the metro, very conservative, very Trumpish.

Reactions: 1 users
The "new South" - Metro Atlanta Area, very diverse, very liberal. We are the ones that gave the state to Biden, by 11000 votes. NOW step out of the metro, very conservative, very Trumpish.

Are they mostly transplants? How is cost of living?

I do when I haven’t shaved and going out to make a quick stop somewhere..

Reactions: 1 user
I also live in the "new south" - I hardly see anyone- maybe 10% in public.

Obviously in healthcare offices we all do/have to - and I honestly don't think we will get away from that in the hospital for a couple years minimum.

I personally don't wear them anywhere outside of work at this point- I did until I got covid (thank you day care) - and the last three months, I have been just like, whatever, I guess I am immune for a little while.

I have zero issue with people wearing them, and probably will go back to wearing them in the winter come flu season as a way of avoiding that as well as covid.

But what annoys me so much are the people that choose to wear them, can't even wear them right - I mean, I sorta get it if you don't want to wear one, you do it as a sort of poltical statement, but at if you do so willingly - you are just an idiot who doesn't understand that your nose and mouth are connected.

I still wear a mask at work and in public living in a high population density state with a bunch of locals who are ignorant/oblivious to the concept of personal space (both in person and on roads). Outdoors walking, biking, hiking…no mask.

Liberal state still has plenty wearing masks in public (about half). Kind of surprised people still visit pharmacies maskless walking inside; ignorance is bliss for these people have no idea we still consistently dispense plenty of paxlovid daily.

Let‘s just not forget common sense…

• Dislike
For the safety of our employees, we don't allow masks to be worn inside any of the facilities

• Hmm
  • Okay...
Members don't see this ad :)
Are they mostly transplants? How is cost of living?
The whole metro Atlanta is mostly transplants. Me too, been down here the last 40 years. Seen the city go from affordable, great place to live, to a mini-LA. All the traffic and crime and high cost of living, but no beach! Atlanta was "discovered" when the Olympics were here (bought and paid for by CocaCola). Then the carpetbaggers began their migration.

I just do whatever the CDC recommends. I see it as an issue of civility.

Regardless of anyones opinion on how fickle the CDC has become - it is still the institution which we fund via our taxes to publish guidelines for the public to follow in order to serve the greater good in terms of public health.

This way - mask wearing is not a matter of my opinion, or anyone else’s opinion. It is an act of civility by following a guideline which we are all expected to be respectful of.

If the cdc says you don’t need to mask - I won’t mask…. If they say to wear a mask - I’ll put one on. Simple as that. Unfortunately, so many people think they know better and that their opinion is some sort of bastion of truth - it isn’t…. Your opinion gives you one thing, and that’s a vote in this democratic system of ours.

And don’t get me wrong - I am not some sort of mindless lemming just doing what I’m told. I’m just not naive enough to think that I’m the center of the universe.

People forget the concept of civility and it’a very unfortunate.

I just do whatever the CDC recommends. I see it as an issue of civility.

Regardless of anyones opinion on how fickle the CDC has become - it is still the institution which we fund via our taxes to publish guidelines for the public to follow in order to serve the greater good in terms of public health.

This way - mask wearing is not a matter of my opinion, or anyone else’s opinion. It is an act of civility by following a guideline which we are all expected to be respectful of.

If the cdc says you don’t need to mask - I won’t mask…. If they say to wear a mask - I’ll put one on. Simple as that. Unfortunately, so many people think they know better and that their opinion is some sort of bastion of truth - it isn’t…. Your opinion gives you one thing, and that’s a vote in this democratic system of ours.

And don’t get me wrong - I am not some sort of mindless lemming just doing what I’m told. I’m just not naive enough to think that I’m the center of the universe.

People forget the concept of civility and it’a very unfortunate.
I used to work directly across the street from the CDC. After 9-11, I watched them grow from a couple of older buildings to a massive well-funded, multiple (5-6) new constructed compound. The fight against terrorism bolstered their reach and influence. Unfortunately, with the help of a certain virus, the former administration, and various miss-steps with directives and information, the CDC recommendations just don't carry much weight with me. Even the CDC admits to their miss management of COVID-19.

I used to work directly across the street from the CDC. After 9-11, I watched them grow from a couple of older buildings to a massive well-funded, multiple (5-6) new constructed compound. The fight against terrorism bolstered their reach and influence. Unfortunately, with the help of a certain virus, the former administration, and various miss-steps with directives and information, the CDC recommendations just don't carry much weight with me. Even the CDC admits to their miss management of COVID-19.

See that’s my point exactly - we need to stop putting our opinions on a higher pedestal than established public guidelines.

I do not pretend to know everything, and I do not pretend to know more than the CDC. Maybe I do know more than the CDC but it’s not my place to overrule them. I should keep my opinion to myself.

If you do not like what the cdc is doing - I would suggest to vote against policy which drives the decisions that the CDC is making.

Otherwise our society is a mess of masses that hates each other because they think their opinion is gospel truth.

The issue of if we should wear a mask or not should be settled by our elected public authorities. Not by our opinion of others and if we feel like they should or should not.

Vote with your opinion - don’t use it to override public health initiatives.

The CDC is acknowledging mistakes made in its response to the COVID-19 pandemic and now laying out a plan for change.

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky shared an update Wednesday with the findings of an internal review. The agency said it launched the review in April to better support the future of public health.

In a statement, the agency said, "never in its 75-year history has CDC had to make decisions so quickly, based on limited and evolving science."

Doctors said the CDC should have been more transparent about that from the beginning of the pandemic.

"What they should have done in the beginning is say, well, we don't really know what's going on here. You know, give us some time to work this out," Dr. Thomas Unnasch, a distinguished USF Health professor said.

The CDC faced a lot of criticism for releasing public guidance and then reversing course. Doctors said that impacted public trust.

"So going out and saying, you know, we don't need masks and then turning around and telling everybody they really should be wearing masks was a really, really bad communications failure," Unnasch said.

If the above doesn't shake your confidence and trust in the CDC, then nothing will!

The CDC is acknowledging mistakes made in its response to the COVID-19 pandemic and now laying out a plan for change.

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky shared an update Wednesday with the findings of an internal review. The agency said it launched the review in April to better support the future of public health.

In a statement, the agency said, "never in its 75-year history has CDC had to make decisions so quickly, based on limited and evolving science."

Doctors said the CDC should have been more transparent about that from the beginning of the pandemic.

"What they should have done in the beginning is say, well, we don't really know what's going on here. You know, give us some time to work this out," Dr. Thomas Unnasch, a distinguished USF Health professor said.

The CDC faced a lot of criticism for releasing public guidance and then reversing course. Doctors said that impacted public trust.

"So going out and saying, you know, we don't need masks and then turning around and telling everybody they really should be wearing masks was a really, really bad communications failure," Unnasch said.

If the above doesn't shake your confidence and trust in the CDC, then nothing will!

Yea I saw that article too.

But like I keep saying - it’s not about my opinion. It’s about taking an attitude of civility and the CDC is the best we got.

In Minneapolis proper, yes, roughly ~60% in the buildings that are quasi-enforced and near 100% in the secure buildings. In certain buildings in the city, they're pretty aggressive about kicking you out if you refuse (although it's a convenient excuse as it targets certain undesirable groups. There's a couple of restaurants that require Docket or the equivalent to prove vaccine and updated or they don't serve you (Spoon and Stable is one of them). It certainly isn't the South in that regard. I expect mask wearing will pick up again as we head into winter.

Yeah I really don’t care about anti mask old farts stuck in their own mindset…they can all just gather in one confined space and breath down one another’s necks and grope one another (to their heart’s content)

Agreed with the statements, sentiments on basic civility mainly just respecting each other’s personal space

Yeah I really don’t care about anti mask old farts stuck in their own mindset…they can all just gather in one confined space and breath down one another’s necks and grope one another (to their heart’s content)

Agreed with the statements, sentiments on basic civility mainly just respecting each other’s personal space

😂🤣 sounds like an anti-mask orgy!

• Haha
pharmacy (retail) is such an awkward middle ground between retail and health care. i think a lot of my customers mask up because they think they are going to a medical facility and they don't wanna be yelled at to mask lol.

i don't mask. it's goofy. I'm single and social. I had to put up with masking at entrances to bars and clubs for months and months only to take them off once inside at crowded sweaty dance bars.

a lot of my coworkers and front end staff are still masking. at this point, i suppose they are forever masking, because really if you are still masking now, then there's no justifiable reason to ever take them off in public/at work. it's a little sad and weird tbh. because a handful of us are not masking at work.

I think a lot of people consider it like wearing pants. it's just a normal part of their outfit before they go out into public. I suppose seeing full facial expressions and hearing each other without barriers is x-rated or something.

Making masking or non-masking a political or generational issue is such an American Phenomena! No where in the world has COVID-19 been so politicized and weaponized as in the good ol' USA. This is why the US has been hardest hit in the last 3 years, and moving forward.
We are incapable of separating politics and public health, and in fact relish in mixing the two. What has brought unity to many nations has divided us.

Reactions: 4 users
In Minneapolis proper, yes, roughly ~60% in the buildings that are quasi-enforced and near 100% in the secure buildings. In certain buildings in the city, they're pretty aggressive about kicking you out if you refuse (although it's a convenient excuse as it targets certain undesirable groups. There's a couple of restaurants that require Docket or the equivalent to prove vaccine and updated or they don't serve you (Spoon and Stable is one of them). It certainly isn't the South in that regard. I expect mask wearing will pick up again as we head into winter.
Bizarre. I really don't have another way to describe it.