Does # applied equal number who actually submitted secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Despina

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has probably been posted before, but frankly the search features on SDN aren't that helpful. Does anyone know if the "Applied" number in the MSAR book equals just the number of people who sent in $30 via AMCAS or everyone that completed a secondary/sent in letters of recommendation. The reason I ask that is because I wonder if there is advantage to apply to schools with long secondaries or secondaries with deadlines that many do not complete (Northwestern, Duke, etc.). If that number in MSAR only includes those that were complete, then the answer is probably no you don't have any advantage, because a large number of people do return their secondaries. Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this has probably been posted before, but frankly the search features on SDN aren't that helpful. Does anyone know if the "Applied" number in the MSAR book equals just the number of people who sent in $30 via AMCAS or everyone that completed a secondary/sent in letters of recommendation. The reason I ask that is because I wonder if there is advantage to apply to schools with long secondaries or secondaries with deadlines that many do not complete (Northwestern, Duke, etc.). If that number in MSAR only includes those that were complete, then the answer is probably no you don't have any advantage, because a large number of people do return their secondaries. Just curious.

applied number =/= completed supplemental application

Most definitely not. Case in point: UCSF

Applied: ~5000
Secondary Invites: ~1500
Secondary Returned: ~1300
Interview: ~500