Does networking with Admissions Officers actually work? How does one go about that?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1159869

One of my friends is applying next cycle (June 2024), and in addition to using this gap year to build his ECs, he has also been cold emailing T20 admissions offices to set up "get to know you"/introductory meetings.

He is convinced that this type of networking will help him get his foot in the door, and surprisingly has gotten some T20 schools to have 20 minute meetings with him.

My question is, does that actually work with regards to getting your foot in the door? Is it worth also emailing some of these schools to see what they say?

Members don't see this ad.

It won't help you get in if your app sucks, but people knowing your name is never bad (unless they know your name because you got caught doing some stupid ****).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean what he's doing is essentially making his name recognizable. It could work really well if he's very personable and they like him, or it could go very badly if he displays himself poorly and they come out of the meeting saying "what a dingus". It's one of those soft skills that you can't really teach. As far as trying to set up a meeting, it certainly can't hurt you unless you're annoying about it. Networking is all about spreading your name without people only remembering it because you annoyed them.

Reactions: 3 users
I mean what he's doing is essentially making his name recognizable. It could work really well if he's very personable and they like him, or it could go very badly if he displays himself poorly and they come out of the meeting saying "what a dingus". It's one of those soft skills that you can't really teach. As far as trying to set up a meeting, it certainly can't hurt you unless you're annoying about it. Networking is all about spreading your name without people only remembering it because you annoyed them.
Thank you for the reply! I guess I've just never heard of anyone doing that before, but my friend is a consultant and this seems like a very "consultant" minded way to do admissions, although I do wonder if a year in advance is too early for these things...

Appreciate the advice though, I think I'll reach out to a couple schools and see what they say, hopefully I can try to get my name on the board of these more competitive schools!

Thank you for the reply! I guess I've just never heard of anyone doing that before, but my friend is a consultant and this seems like a very "consultant" minded way to do admissions, although I do wonder if a year in advance is too early for these things...

Appreciate the advice though, I think I'll reach out to a couple schools and see what they say, hopefully I can try to get my name on the board of these more competitive schools!
A year out might be a bit far because you definitely don't want them to forget your name as they go through the cycle before with thousands of names, but it's all subjective. I am certainly guilty of sending a couple emails to admissions offices with various questions just to show interest. You never know what might make your name stick with someone, just don't cross the line into annoying/neurotic and you should be fine. Admission committee members are people too at the end of the day.

I attend a T20 Med feeder, and we've had countless adcoms come speak to our pre-med population about how valuable name dropping connections are in secondaries. If you talked with x adcom from x school, you can essentially say you've networked with x (their actual name) in your secondaries. Chances are they might be a regional reader and will advance your app to the next phase since you've demonstrated interest in their institution by connecting with them personally

My question is, does that actually work with regards to getting your foot in the door? Is it worth also emailing some of these schools to see what they say?
Aside from reading the article I posted, no... not by itself. You (your friend) need to invest in a relationship with the school. Just emailing or doing a virtual fair fly-by isn't enough. We know you should be reading the websites, but you need to show sincere interest and a knowledge about the school that guides your application strategy and your voice why you fit their school. Mission fit is a real thing. Do it all, and your efforts get noticed if you do it right.

Otherwise, it's like just sending a message "wanna go out?" after winking at someone on your favorite online social media dating site.

I attend a T20 Med feeder, and we've had countless adcoms come speak to our pre-med population about how valuable name dropping connections are in secondaries. If you talked with x adcom from x school, you can essentially say you've networked with x (their actual name) in your secondaries.
This would not have the desired effect at our school.

Reactions: 1 users
This would not have the desired effect at our school.
I'm sure you are right, but mind elaborating on the "desired effect?" I never said that it would guarantee acceptance or even an interview, so I'm curious as to what you're referring to. What the strategy I mentioned does is demonstrate interest and show you've taken the time to meet with representatives of the school you're applying to

I'm sure you are right, but mind elaborating on the "desired effect?" I never said that it would guarantee acceptance or even an interview, so I'm curious as to what you're referring to. What the strategy I mentioned does is demonstrate interest and show you've taken the time to meet with representatives of the school you're applying to
Asking for a meeting with a dean would not move the needle in the hoped-for direction (at our school).

Meeting with representatives of the school in a public forum is fine.

Last edited:
I attend a T20 Med feeder, and we've had countless adcoms come speak to our pre-med population about how valuable name dropping connections are in secondaries. If you talked with x adcom from x school, you can essentially say you've networked with x (their actual name) in your secondaries. Chances are they might be a regional reader and will advance your app to the next phase since you've demonstrated interest in their institution by connecting with them personally
Regional readers... how undergrad.

I need to see their prompts and probably their rubrics.

Now imagine 20000 pre-medical students asking an admission officer out on a date... How does this look? Its obvious you what you are trying to do... Unless he/she is your neighbor or you cut his lawn, i am not sure how else you could do this...lol

Now imagine 20000 pre-medical students asking an admission officer out on a date... How does this look? Its obvious you what you are trying to do... Unless he/she is your neighbor or you cut his lawn, i am not sure how else you could do this...lol
I would imagine a simple email to admissions "hello, i am interested in applying to X school of medicine next year, i was wondering if X school of medicine had any availability to meet with applicants in the area to discuss application/questions/whatever". If the school is open to it, they say yes. If they aren't, they say no and the student moves on with their life. It's not a complex creepy thing. It's what I did when i was considering applying ED to a school and they didn't seem to have a problem with it.

It is a well known fact that students with connections to a school, whether it be via research, working with someone from that school, having physician parents, etc will attempt to utilize those connections to their advantage when applying, whether it does them any good or not. It is somewhat mind boggling that this is the reaction to students without those connections trying to network with medical schools.

Last edited:
It helped me this cycle. My undergrad premed office helped me set up a call with the Dean of admissions at a school. Then I sent them an update letter referencing some of the things I learned from the call, and received an II which turned into an A.

We get paid to identify solid applicants and encourage them to apply. I can assure you I never got 20K students asking me for anything other than what my GPA/test cutoffs were... because that's apparently what my value was to most applicants. Kinda like here. ;)

There are some admissions offices/leadership who love the attention. You'll find out who they are soon enough, and connecting before applying helps you.

• Love
One of my friends is applying next cycle (June 2024), and in addition to using this gap year to build his ECs, he has also been cold emailing T20 admissions offices to set up "get to know you"/introductory meetings.

He is convinced that this type of networking will help him get his foot in the door, and surprisingly has gotten some T20 schools to have 20 minute meetings with him.

Offices of admission have two major types of workers: (1) committee members, a diverse group that gathers periodically to make admissions decisions, and (2) administrators and support staff, who create the environment in which the committee can function.

These introductory meetings are almost certainly happening with type 2 workers, who are not the deciders in the process.

By all means take advantage of these meetings. It doesn't hurt to come with good questions and present yourself well. Although I have noticed that sometimes people who are really into networking come off like used car salesmen.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Offices of admission have two major types of workers: (1) committee members, a diverse group that gathers periodically to make admissions decisions, and (2) administrators and support staff, who create the environment in which the committee can function.

These introductory meetings are almost certainly happening with type 2 workers, who are not the deciders in the process.

By all means take advantage of these meetings. It doesn't hurt to come with good questions and present yourself well. Although I have noticed that sometimes people who are really into networking come off like used car salesmen.
I will add the admissions staff professionals don't vote, but we do have influence as many faculty ask us of our impressions of the candidates. We remember the people that were very engaged, the gunner personalities, and the ones who seem to wish they were elsewhere. Yeah, we know the brown noses too. Hence the article on building your school list. Do it right.