Does applying to MD look bad on DO applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYY1234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I recently graduated college and I am applying for 2021 matriculation. I have a 3.4 cumulative GPA and similar sGPA. I haven't taken the MCAT because it was postponed due to COVID but I am taking it in a month. One physician that I have shadowed advised me to apply only DO because I have a better shot of getting in there. I was going to apply to both because we have many schools around the NY area. He said that applying to MD would hurt my chances at a DO because they might see it as a backup. I wanted to get other opinions on this. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I recently graduated college and I am applying for 2021 matriculation. I have a 3.4 cumulative GPA and similar sGPA. I haven't taken the MCAT because it was postponed due to COVID but I am taking it in a month. One physician that I have shadowed advised me to apply only DO because I have a better shot of getting in there. I was going to apply to both because we have many schools around the NY area. He said that applying to MD would hurt my chances at a DO because they might see it as a backup. I wanted to get other opinions on this. Thank you in advance.
Nope. MD schools don't even know if you are applying DO. There is no obligation to report you are applying DO to MD, or even a question asking it on AMCAS. There are plenty of people here who apply MD and DO that matriculate to an MD school. Using DO as back-up is fine. Stay awhile, read around, and make sure you have all your questions answered before applying.

Nope. MD schools don't even know if you are applying DO. There is no obligation to report you are applying DO to MD, or even a question asking it on AMCAS. There are plenty of people here who apply MD and DO that matriculate to an MD school. Using DO as back-up is fine. Stay awhile, read around, and make sure you have all your questions answered before applying.
Thank you for the quick response. I was just worried because on the application for UNECOM it asked for how many of each type of school I applied to and I didn't want it held against me.

Members don't see this ad :)
The UNE app is the only one I saw that mentioned on and I applied to 30 schools

No, you're fine. I literally told my DO interviewer that my top choice was my in-state MD program because it was close to home. I got in and attending the DO program

Thank you all for the responses. They really cleared everything up.

Reactions: 1 user