Does Applying to more dental schools affect your acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothhornet88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard from someone that If you apply to lots of schools (say 15+) that Dental Schools will see the other schools you have applied to and will be less likely to give you an interview since you dont care which school you want to get into, but you just want to get in "just anywhere." Personally, I want to apply to around 20 dental schools to increase my chances, but now I don't know if I should limit myself to only like 10 schools. Any suggestions?

By the way my Cum. GPA is 3.4 Science 3.0 (since my first two semesters I didnt do too well but my last 2 years I averaged 3.6 GPA) Im planning on taking my DAT in June and let's say i get somewhere in the 21-23 range.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard from someone that If you apply to lots of schools (say 15+) that Dental Schools will see the other schools you have applied to and will be less likely to give you an interview since you dont care which school you want to get into, but you just want to get in "just anywhere." Personally, I want to apply to around 20 dental schools to increase my chances, but now I don't know if I should limit myself to only like 10 schools. Any suggestions?

By the way my Cum. GPA is 3.4 Science 3.0 (since my first two semesters I didnt do too well but my last 2 years I averaged 3.6 GPA) Im planning on taking my DAT in June and let's say i get somewhere in the 21-23 range.

I doubt it. I think it's more about becoming a dentist no matter what, rather than a having a special crush on a school prior to an interview. I personally don't think that a dental school would be naive and believe that serious applicants only applied to their institution.
I applied to 14 and got into 6 and on some of the secondary apps they ask you which other schools did you apply to. I was honest and it was never brought up during any interview.

Trust me, there is no truth to the whole "if you apply for too many schools, then it works against you".... Every single dental school I've spoken with, I asked them this very question, I said "does it look bad that I am applying to over 20 schools" and they pretty much all said no.... even one of the ladies told me that its showing how motivated I am just to get in that I am spending this much money.

trust me, more schools = more chances for interviews = more chances for one of them to accept you.

If (and I highly doubt this) someone from the interview process threw this in your face "why did you apply to so many schools, do you not have any confidence in your stats".... I would calmly and politely replay back "Well the dental application is only getting more competitive as time goes by, I figured the best way to give myself a better chance is by applying to as many schools that I see fit"

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Trust me, there is no truth to the whole "if you apply for too many schools, then it works against you".... Every single dental school I've spoken with, I asked them this very question, I said "does it look bad that I am applying to over 20 schools" and they pretty much all said no.... even one of the ladies told me that its showing how motivated I am just to get in that I am spending this much money.

trust me, more schools = more chances for interviews = more chances for one of them to accept you.

If (and I highly doubt this) someone from the interview process threw this in your face "why did you apply to so many schools, do you not have any confidence in your stats".... I would calmly and politely replay back "Well the dental application is only getting more competitive as time goes by, I figured the best way to give myself a better chance is by applying to as many schools that I see fit"

That is very true. Thank you to both replies :)

i guess the point here is.. if you are applying to a certain school be prepared to answer why you are applying to that school.

Hi toothhornet88, I'm currently applying and I noticed that both of my GPA's are exactly where yours were when you posted this. How many schools did you end up applying to? Any advice? Thanks!

Hi toothhornet88, I'm currently applying and I noticed that both of my GPA's are exactly where yours were when you posted this. How many schools did you end up applying to? Any advice? Thanks!

Good luck

I think OP is ready to start working already as dentist

Lol, wow I can't believe that was so long ago :) I actually ended up taking more classes for another year to boost my GPA and applied the following year (July 2011) for the Class of 2016. My GPA did not change much (overall: 3.5 science 3.2) but I ended up taking more upper division science classes and got myself a B.S. in business administration and a minor in biological sciences. My DAT score was overall/science/PAT 20/21/21.

I applied to 20 schools. I got interviews to 2 schools (ASDOH and USC) that were both in February (USC was Feb 7 and ASDOH was Feb 21). Went to USC first. Had a funny & depressing experience with ASDOH because I did not technically go to the interview, lol. I flew there, rented a car and booked a hotel. I set 10 alarms and managed to somehow snooze them all. Woke up 3 hours after my interview time and literally sat at the edge of my bed for 30 minutes starring at the wall, dumbfounded of what just happened. Then, I called the school like 10 times and no one answered. I came outside, looked at my surroundings and said to myself "who the hell would want to live in this desert anyway!"After that, I got dressed and went to the airport. I made a promised to myself that until I got accepted to USC I would not tell anyone what had happened in Arizona. The fateful day came on April 4 when I got an acceptance call from USC :)

Now, I got 2 more years until officially being a dds!

Reactions: 22 users
@toothhornet88 Hahaha that's hilarious. I'm starting at USC this fall as well!

Lol, wow I can't believe that was so long ago :) I actually ended up taking more classes for another year to boost my GPA and applied the following year (July 2011) for the Class of 2016. My GPA did not change much (overall: 3.5 science 3.2) but I ended up taking more upper division science classes and got myself a B.S. in business administration and a minor in biological sciences. My DAT score was overall/science/PAT 20/21/21.

I applied to 20 schools. I got interviews to 2 schools (ASDOH and USC) that were both in February (USC was Feb 7 and ASDOH was Feb 21). Went to USC first. Had a funny & depressing experience with ASDOH because I did not technically go to the interview, lol. I flew there, rented a car and booked a hotel. I set 10 alarms and managed to somehow snooze them all. Woke up 3 hours after my interview time and literally sat at the edge of my bed for 30 minutes starring at the wall, dumbfounded of what just happened. Then, I called the school like 10 times and no one answered. I came outside, looked at my surroundings and said to myself "who the hell would want to live in this desert anyway!"After that, I got dressed and went to the airport. I made a promised to myself that until I got accepted to USC I would not tell anyone what had happened in Arizona. The fateful day came on April 4 when I got an acceptance call from USC :)

Now, I got 2 more years until officially being a dds!

@shyfox9p What makes you say that?

More than 15 doesn't look good

@shyfox9p What makes you say that?
I've talked to a dean of a dental school and a few of their faculty members. They told me the max should be around 15. They don't me that they once had a student who applied to every school. It just makes you look like you're desperate in a bad way and that you really haven't put in thought about which school you really want to go to. Maybe each school is different, but some schools do care.

Do dental schools even have access to the list of schools you applied to without asking you to list them in a supplemental app?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do dental schools even have access to the list of schools you applied to without asking you to list them in a supplemental app?

Not that I know of. They can see who is still holding multiple acceptances beginning in April though so people can start to narrow down and make their final decision if it hasn't been made already.

Right on! That's awesome! USC is a great school with an AMAZING student atmosphere, plus the clinical experience you get here is the best! Academic-wise, our neighbors at UCLA got that down, but clinically, USC is supreme in these lands ;)

Not that I know of. They can see who is still holding multiple acceptances beginning in April though so people can start to narrow down and make their final decision if it hasn't been made already.
I thought that they could.

I thought that they could.

Like I said, not that I know of.

NYU specifically asks in their supplement on interview day to list where you applied, if they knew already what would be the point of asking? People have also reported that question coming up during interviews at various schools.

Also, aznboi89x applied to 53 schools eventually resulting in multiple interviews and 3 acceptances.

Like I said, not that I know of.

NYU specifically asks in their supplement on interview day to list where you applied, if they knew already what would be the point of asking? People have also reported that question coming up during interviews at various schools.

Also, aznboi89x applied to 53 schools eventually resulting in multiple interviews and 3 acceptances.
NOVA asked me which schools I was applying to and my current status.

NOVA asked me which schools I was applying to and my current status.
Same here. I'm doing NOVA's supplemental and I applied to 19 schools. I feel like I don't have a choice but to list all of them. If they somehow find out that I lied and didn't list all 19 it'll probably hurt me more!

Same here. I'm doing NOVA's supplemental and I applied to 19 schools. I feel like I don't have a choice but to list all of them. If they somehow find out that I lied and didn't list all 19 it'll probably hurt me more!

If they are interested in you, the number of schools you apply to won't matter. I applied to 15+ schools and have an interview at NOVA. UNLV also asks in their supplemental which schools you applied to.

Dental schools DO NOT have access to see how many/which schools you have applied to. Some do ask, as other posters have pointed out, but know nothing more than you tell them. As someone else pointed out, they can see when multiple acceptances are held (but who cares at that point, because you are in!) So apply away if you have the money/desire. It will increase the odds in your favor

Reactions: 1 user
Dental schools DO NOT have access to see how many/which schools you have applied to. Some do ask, as other posters have pointed out, but know nothing more than you tell them. As someone else pointed out, they can see when multiple acceptances are held (but who cares at that point, because you are in!) So apply away if you have the money/desire. It will increase the odds in your favor
They can get access if they really want to.

They can get access if they really want to.

Yes, I suppose they could. But that would entail having a contact willing to disclose information in every admissions office and calling each and every one of them to compile the applicants list of schools. Not very practical.. That is why they ask on the secondaries, because they can't get access from aadsas. In addition, they simply don't care about a single applicant that much.

Reactions: 1 user
Technically theyre not suppsoe to ask at all. But I dont mind sharing.

I dont really have anything to hide about the amount of schools I am applying to.

You need to apply to as many schools as you can. Applying to more schools DOES affect your acceptance.

I have known students who only apply to medical/dental schools in California, and they never got accepted.

For me, I had a ~3.4 GPA, applied to 15 dental schools, received eight interview invitations, and only two acceptances. If I hadn't applied to those two schools.... I wouldn't have been accepted.

My advice: Apply to as many schools as possible, but chose WISELY. Get this blue book by ADEA that has all the statistics of every dental school in America. (You can get this book digitally for a much cheaper price). Inside the blue book, it lists all the dental schools and the corresponding average GPA/DAT scores of the accepted students. Also, this book tells you if each school is Out of State Friendly (meaning, they accept students from outside of their state or not).

Once you get this Blue ADEA Book, make a list of the dental schools with the LOWEST GPA/DAT average, and apply to those schools if they are Out of State Friendly or not. Then apply to those schools with the LOWEST averages.

I know that this is expensive - it is expensive to have to apply for so many different dental schools - but now is NOT the time to worry about the money. Once you get accepted, everything will be worth it. You will be so relieved.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users