Does applying to too many schools hurt you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTApplicant4

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am considering applying to a total of 14 physical therapy programs. I have seen mixed comments on this. Does applying to a large number of schools show a lack of commitment to the programs? I also was wondering how often/if programs tend to ask how many other schools you are applying to during interviews and if you think this could hurt me? I have got a solid GPA and GRE, I just want to maximize my chances of getting into a program. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Applying to multiple schools should not hurt you. You have no commitment to any school or program until they accept you.

It hurts your wallet size :p

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I am considering applying to a total of 14 physical therapy programs. I have seen mixed comments on this. Does applying to a large number of schools show a lack of commitment to the programs? I also was wondering how often/if programs tend to ask how many other schools you are applying to during interviews and if you think this could hurt me? I have got a solid GPA and GRE, I just want to maximize my chances of getting into a program. Thanks!

I’ve never heard anything bad about applying to too many. I probably have 30 schools (I probably won’t end up applying to all of these) in my cart because last cycle I only applied to 9. I felt like that limited me. I’m so flexible on going just about anywhere I figured why not apply to more schools this time. I’ve noticed that other schools ask where you are applying to. I don’t list them all because I’m not even sure I’ll end up applying to them once it’s time

If you have a solid Gpa/GRE I would suggest applying to fewer schools. I have above average scores and I am applying to 4 (maybe 5) schools.

My suggestion is to only apply to schools that you would genuinely want to go to because there is no point in getting into a school that has nothing you like about it, is too expensive to pay for, is too far away etc.

Another suggestion is to stagger your applications. If you have schools that you don't like as much but want to keep as back up, and these schools have later deadlines (ie. January), maybe wait and see how your earlier interviews/applications go... maybe you'll get into a school earlier than you think.