does astronomy count towards bcpm/science gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gradient5656

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have some space in my schedule to take an astronomy course. it's offered under the astronomy department and has ASTRO in the title of the course. will this count towards science gpa? i need to be sure before i take it. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i've done google searches and came across posts like the one above. some people say it does, some people say that "unless it has BIO PHYS CHEM or MATH in the title, it's not bcpm". thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you put it in the science GPA calculation I bet it'll get left as such.

Reactions: 1 user
i've done google searches and came across posts like the one above. some people say it does, some people say that "unless it has BIO PHYS CHEM or MATH in the title, it's not bcpm". thoughts?
The people who say that are objectively wrong. The AAMC has published guidelines, and Astronomy is specifically listed as BCPM. Courses in which the material primarily falls under BCPM are also considered BCPM no matter the title.

It is science/BCPM for ALL medical school systems: AMCAS, ACCOMAS, and TMDSAS

This is confirmed fact.

https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/section_Overview.html

This lists astronomy as Other Science outside of BCPM. I called them a while ago and they directed me to the link. I'm happy to be wrong on this since astronomy is objectively a science course but the Texas Section Overview disputes that.

Reactions: 1 user