Does attending a pass/fail school affect your chances of getting into a specialty program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drawingdentist

Dental Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do residency programs compare students that come from a pass/fail school and those that do not?

Members don't see this ad.

How do residency programs compare students that come from a pass/fail school and those that do not?

I happen to know two specialty directors (orthodontic department and OMSF department) and one mentioned to go to the school that gets you the actual grade and the other told me they only look at the test scores. The orthodontic director mentioned that they had a hard time choosing candidates because students had no grades. I heard it only from two different school directors so this doesn't represent the whole school though.

Reactions: 1 users
P/F schools do well placing their students into post doctoral specialty programs. Harvard, Columbia, UCSF are all P/F. Their students routinely get into post doctoral training.

Not really BUT since ADAT seems to be gaining momentum, that will serve as a gauge in the near future.