Step II does average shelf score = average step 2ck ~220?

Started by bulldog
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bulldog

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seems like I'm stuck around the national mean for shelf scores. For those who've consistently gotten the mena, how was your step 2 ck stores? seems like i can't break the mean on shelf exams.
 
I think the NBME end of rotation shelf exams correlate strongly with the USMLE. I was usually 2-3 S.D above the mean on the shelves, and close to that on Step 1 and 2. Alot of it has to do with your test taking and information integration skills. Barring any mental breakdown, if you do a so-so preparation for step 2, you should probably do somewhere around the mean.
 
I consitently scored below average on my years 1 and 2 shelfs and scored a 240 on step 1. I am consitently scoring 60s and 70s on my 3rd year shelfs and am not worried-doing 70 percent on usmle world. I think the shelfs are way specific compared to the shelf-which if you are not a great memorizer or crammer than it hurts you. I have trouble preparing for shelfs cause I am a poor memorizer and tend to read books more to learn concepts and unlike first 2 years, you just dont have that 5 days before free to memorize things you know you have to. V. Step 2 is a lot less detailed and more general conceptual stuff which bodes well for people who learn concepts rather than details IMO-I guess we will see-