does biochemistry and microbiology factor into bcpm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Symphony101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
nm

Members don't see this ad.

Yes they do.

I've only ever taken two biology classes (genetics, physio), but I have a lot of biochemistry and microbiology courses too (i am a biochemistry major). Do these courses factor into the bcpm gpa as well?
biochemistry

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to be a doctor!

Yes they do.

In any case, OP next time look at your registrar catalog, usually they have some sort of classification next to the name of the course, if it reads natural sciences, then generally, you can put that in.

Things like astronomy, zoology, or other courses that are natural sciences that do not fall under bio, chem, physics may be debatable, but usually AMCAS doesn't really make a big deal out of those.

calm down, it was just a question. i knew it was silly but just wanted some confirmation.

and your wow's and my gosh's are so constructive.

If you're surprised at the responses, maybe that should indicate to you at least a few things:

1. The answer to your question, if it was not intuitive, can be found in a number of print resources you should read anyway (SDN FAQs, AMCAS guides, etc.).

2. How can a premed not know the answer to that question?

-z

I hear that biochemistry courses count twice as much because they're both bio and chemistry. ;)

I hear that biochemistry courses count twice as much because they're both bio and chemistry. ;)

haha, and microbiology counts as half. because it's biology, but smaller. ;)

Why the hell would you need confirmation that biochemistry factors into your BIOLOGY-CHEMISTRY-math-physics GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
dummy - the pope isnt catholic, he is german!

OP, Read the AMCAS instructions, there are quite explicit directions on how to classify your coursework. I would think biochem would be rather unambiguous, but the instructions might help for things that are less cut and dried.

You might want to ask if biochem should be classified as 'biology' or 'chemistry'. I remember it being chemistry for 2007. It might be different, or I might be wrong, or both.

You might want to ask if biochem should be classified as 'biology' or 'chemistry'. I remember it being chemistry for 2007. It might be different, or I might be wrong, or both.
It probably depends which department is teaching the class. Biochem is taught by the chemistry department at my school, so it was classified as a chemistry course.

my school has a department for everything. which is why I was initially confused. I had thought that the amcas considered only the intro science courses (bio 1, 2, chem, ochem, etc) and wondered if higher level classes like biochem would even count.

Yes they do.

In any case, OP next time look at your registrar catalog, usually they have some sort of classification next to the name of the course, if it reads natural sciences, then generally, you can put that in.

Things like astronomy, zoology, or other courses that are natural sciences that do not fall under bio, chem, physics may be debatable, but usually AMCAS doesn't really make a big deal out of those.

Actually Atronomy is part of BCPM according to AMCAS manual.

:thumbup: Yep, I was lovin' that. Does anyone NOT get an A in Astronomy?

Yes. It depends on what level of course you're taking. If it's an introductory "Our Friends the Planets" type course, then yes most people get "A"s. But, higher level Astronomy courses are like heavy duty physics/math courses.

my school has a department for everything. which is why I was initially confused. I had thought that the amcas considered only the intro science courses (bio 1, 2, chem, ochem, etc) and wondered if higher level classes like biochem would even count.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008amcasinstructionsrevised.pdf

Pay particular attention to the "Course Classification" section. And the rest of it. Also check http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/amcas2008.htm where you should find answers to most common questions.