Does/Can the school you attend help you find a job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentj5

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm having a hard time deciding what school I want to attend (similar COA for all), especially that I don't know much about the job market for dentistry. So if any dental student or dentist could answer those questions, that would really really help :) For context, I may or may not specialize and I am mostly trying to decide whether I should go to a school that would give me more opportunities (Ivy) compared to a school that would give me excellent clinical skills (like Temple)

-If price isn't a factor, would you go to a school with an extensive clinical curriculum like Temple, in order to best "sell" yourself right after graduation, or does it not matter that much, as maybe DSOs/Dental practices expect you to become a better clinician after graduation anyway?

-If you were hesitating between general dentistry and specializing, would you go to a school with a high (100%) match rate to keep doors open, even though the clinical training isn't really intensive, as you could do a GPR anyway?

-Does going to a school with a high match rate help with competitive GPRs?

-Overall, is the alumni network of a school key to finding a job? What other factors are taken into account by DSOs/dental practices when hiring recent grads?

-If I am ready to practice in rural areas, am I almost guaranteed to find a job?

I know that my questions are a bit clueless but I'm a bit lost and would really appreciate dental students/dentists' inputs! :) Also, I'm a non-Canadian international student if that matters

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience, no one cares where you went. They will hire you for who you are. Your hand skills are developed with practice, not what school you went to. Your personality, your drive, etc. is what owners are looking for.

Reactions: 1 users