Does Clinical Research Coordinator fall under Clinical or Research Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrohazn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I will be taking a gap year and applying 2021-2022 cycle. I have accumulated 100 hours of clinical volunteering - 1. 60hrs through emergency department. 2. 40 hrs as volunteer services at another hospital. I recently have been accepted a full-time clinical research coordinator position and I was wondering whether this would fall under clinical or research experience. My clinical volunteering position was cancelled because of COVID-19, and I need hours for clinical experience and I was wondering whether this would satisfy that. Any advice on how to proceed if this is not the case? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I listed my clinical research coordinator job under clinical when I applied last year. As long as your job involves you actively working with patients, I think it’s fine to list as either.

A million years ago, I was a clinical research coordinator. In most cases, it is neither clinical nor research.

Are you licensed or registered to provide hands-on care?
Is the clinical research being done as an add-on to clinical services that the patient would be receiving anyway?
Is the person in the study a patient as well as a research participant (or research subject)?

If you answer yes to all three it might be a clinical experience. If the answer to any of the questions is "no" then it might not pass the "clinical" test. This applys to clinical research coordiators, not to clinical experiences as volunteers.

Did you write the protocol?
Did you select the instruments being used to assess subjects?
Are you doing the data analysis and writing the results of the study?

If you answer yes to at least one of these questions, then it might be research that you can list as research. But, if you are using a protocol that came from a pharmaceutical company or a collaborative group and if you have no say in the design, analysis and writing, then it might not be research.

It is employment and it is a good job for a pre-med interested in academic medicine but it is neither clinical nor research.

Reactions: 1 users