Does Columbia's Dean Frantz mean what he says?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMW

Grand Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a hand-addressed letter from him thanking me for my thank-you note to my interviewer! He also said "I can assure you that we will keep you very strongly in mind." I'm curious whether any other interviewees have received letters with that assurance?

Members don't see this ad.

got the same letter - lots of personal references. i think that dean f. devotes a lot of time to this process and basically picks the applicants themselves. so my evaluation: not a bad sign that you got this letter. maybe everyone gets one who writes thank-you notes, maybe not. my guess is that he's not sadistic enough to say he's thinking of you 'strongly' if he knows you're getting the big R in a few weeks. but they haven't decided yet about many people, so he's basically being honest. it's NOT a 'likely to accept' letter, but it ain't a 'let you down easy' letter. p&s loves those who love p&s. which i do... maybe i'll see you there!

sorry to burst your bubble, but i and everyone i know that wrote frantz a thank you letter got something like that with the "strongly in mind" statement. one of my friends even got two (exact same letter with some words switched). my neighbor was on the P&S adcom a few years ago and here's the process they go through:
your interviewer IS on the adcom, which is made up of about 15 doctors. after your interview, they each write a little evaluation about your application and file it away. in mid january, the committee all meets, they all go over everyone's files, and they all sit around and discuss everyone and they all recommend what action to take to frantz. frantz then sits back, and personally decides who gets in and who doesn't. bare in mind that even though he has final say, he pays enormous attention to the committee recomendations, and almost always does what the concensus recommends.

according to my neighbor, your interview cant make or break you at columbia (unless, he said, you are very nervous). i dont think it counts as much as at other schools; it just gives the interviewer a context to interpret your application and ask about red flags.

anyway, i love columbia and sent them a letter of intent. a batch of acceptances goes out in early feb. and another, smaller one goes out in mid march. many people put on and taken off waitlist.

good luck to you all.

Hmm, I didn't send a thank you note. Hope it won't count against me. :confused: :(