Does Dental School=Trap with no escape?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpfuldoc2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Dental School=Trap with no escape? It is becoming more widely normal that some people feel like they went into the wrong field given whatever reason they may have. This ofcourse includes medicine, and other healthcare fields as well. My question is if you go into dental school and figure out it isnt for you does that mean your trapped? What other options are out there. It seems like when OPs post about related topics the responses seem very discouraging and negative. When the same questions are asked on the Allopathic Forum there seems to be much more feedback. Is there such thing as DDS changing careers early in there career or even not completing there dental education? What routes did these people take?

Members don't see this ad.

exact same queston 12 threads below... and you don't even have to use the search function...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=366393

I just read the thread. It is very similar, but it also proves my point that there is not any positive feedback or real responses to the OPs question. Call this thread a revival of that thread if you will. I just wanted to see if there were any real answers or positive responses to this question that seems to be asked more often.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do what the dental schools ask you to do with shadowing hours, community service, science classes, etc, you should have a pretty good feel as to what you are getting yourself into. It is usually those who fudged their numbers when it came to the above requirements that are shocked when they get to dental school. The rest of us had a really good idea what was coming because we prepared properly and therefore the sympathy is low. You should know what you are doing when you begin a journey that will change your life and cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars.

dental school is not like the real world. Face the fact that you will have to put in the sweat, blood and tears to get through dental school, and then do more work to establish a practice.

Every job is hard. Construction sucked, so does studying 6 hours a day, but in the end I would rather drill a tooth not in wood.

I just read the thread. It is very similar, but it also proves my point that there is not any positive feedback or real responses to the OPs question. Call this thread a revival of that thread if you will. I just wanted to see if there were any real answers or positive responses to this question that seems to be asked more often.
The responses you get probably have something to do with the type of questions you typically post in here.

Stick to weed selling, it probably makes more money, hahaha j/k

Seriously speaking to the OP, before you decide to make this decision do see a pyschiatrist to make sure you're emotionally stable. You dont want to finish dental school too just to decide you want to due law school after your done too.

Any Dental Students think they wanted to go to Medicine instead?

Any Career Changers out of Dentistry?

Or those who are in dental school, if your in dental school now and wish you knew what you know now what whould have you went to or want to go into instead?

The responses you get probably have something to do with the type of questions you typically post in here.

And the amount of years, and hours you spend on SDN butting in other people's business and acting like your something important because your a self appointed moderator shows how much of a life you have and how annoying you can be.

And the amount of years, and hours you spend on SDN butting in other people's business and acting like your something important because your a self appointed moderator shows how much of a life you have and how annoying you can be.

He's not self appointed, and his post was valid. It seems you've posted this exact question, albeit in different terms, time and time again.

shadowing a dentist for ungodly amount of hours will not give you the expierence you are going to be doing later in life don't let that fool you.. having been in this thing for almost 2 years now its totally different than i expected, and it seems like that for most of my classmates currently.. we all feel maybe we aren't fit right now for this thing, and we question our choices, but maybe next year when we are clinic we will see whats its like

.. the possibilities after dental schools are not much at first expect practicing dentistry or going to into residency.. but after building one self one can go on to do other things not related to practicing dentistry. -- being a lobbyist, part of the state board (takes a lot of time an invite), doing legislative work, and with a DDS/DMD in hand i have seen alot of people becoming part of community such as superintendents of school boards, etc..

hrm i am kinda of bored right now and tired of studying for oral path..

shadowing a dentist for ungodly amount of hours will not give you the expierence you are going to be doing later in life don't let that fool you.. having been in this thing for almost 2 years now its totally different than i expected, and it seems like that for most of my classmates currently.. we all feel maybe we aren't fit right now for this thing, and we question our choices, but maybe next year when we are clinic we will see whats its like

.. the possibilities after dental schools are not much at first expect practicing dentistry or going to into residency.. but after building one self one can go on to do other things not related to practicing dentistry. -- being a lobbyist, part of the state board (takes a lot of time an invite), doing legislative work, and with a DDS/DMD in hand i have seen alot of people becoming part of community such as superintendents of school boards, etc..

hrm i am kinda of bored right now and tired of studying for oral path..

agreed.

if I could go back 2 years, I don't know if I would've necessarily gone to dental school. but I try to keep in mind that dental school isn't the same as being a dentist at all (of course practicing your 5th set of bridge preps is going to be a drag but it's worth it when you get your practical grade back) and someday, things I struggled with will be second nature. it'll be different when we start working with patients. I'm more of a people person.

at this point, it doesn't matter. when you're in, you owe too much to leave. except, that is, if mom and dad are paying for you. plus when you've put in so much effort, quitting would be a shame. I changed majors enough times to realize you're NOT going to like everything. you have to push yourself through.

Does Dental School=Trap with no escape? It is becoming more widely normal that some people feel like they went into the wrong field given whatever reason they may have. This ofcourse includes medicine, and other healthcare fields as well. My question is if you go into dental school and figure out it isnt for you does that mean your trapped? What other options are out there. It seems like when OPs post about related topics the responses seem very discouraging and negative. When the same questions are asked on the Allopathic Forum there seems to be much more feedback. Is there such thing as DDS changing careers early in there career or even not completing there dental education? What routes did these people take?

There is an escape, its called droping out if u dont wanna be a dentist. You may be thinking "well I've invested soo much money with all my loans now." Like others mentioned in the forum, shadowing helps you get a feel for the field not the school experience. It can get bitter at times in school. From what I hear, the first 2 years are dim and the fog begins to clear up in the 3rd year. That said, if you dont want to be a dentist thats perfectly fine and everyone should respect your perogative on that. I guess what it comes down to is the hardship of leaving dental school (if you are in it now) with unpaid loans.

Best of luck

I guess what it comes down to is the hardship of leaving dental school (if you are in it now) with unpaid loans.

I think this is all it comes down to. Anyone can change careers, but for everyone, even those not in dental school, changing careers or career decisions are often monetary decisions, too. The debt, which is/was large for many of us who attend or have attended dental school, is part of the package. Just like completing dental school, paying off the debt is also doable.:thumbup:

I shadowed many hours and have worked as a dental assistant. After talking to the dentists, hygienists, etc, I had a pretty good idea what dental school would be like and I still feel that way. You should know what you are getting yourself into when you make a decision like this. There is no excuse for ignorance when it comes to something like this.

Also, you can't live your life waiting for the next big thing. If you live your life saying, "It will be better when I get to clinic." You will be dissapointed that when you get to clinic it is very similar to when you were in pre-clinic. Only now, instead of plastic teeth, you are working on real teeth and there are more hoops to jump through. But then you will say "I can't wait to graduate, then it will be good." and the next statement will be, "Man, I can't wait to get out of debt and into my own office" and then "I can't wait to retire, then life will be good." And the next thing you'll know is that you are old, dying and wishing that you wouldn't of wished your life away and enjoyed the experiences you had and instead of waiting for the next big thing.

Well, that is my sermon for the day.

Sometimes I think dental school is not the place to figure out whether you like dentistry or not. How much of dental school really translates into "real world" dentistry?

There are so many highs and lows of dental school that won't and can't translate to life after dental school. I really don't think it would be fair to the person or to dentistry to judge it entirely on the dental school experience. I don't think a complete determination of that can really be made until after dental school is over.

This may seem like the most expensive and drawn out option, but at least give yourself and the profession a chance to appreciate all it has to offer, you might end up selling yourself short and live to regret it.

Honestly, there are so many things that I have seen in dental school that I will do my damnest to avoid after I graduate that there isn't sufficient time to list here.

Work hard, graduate, and work a while and then if there is still significant doubt, move on to that second career millions of Americans do each day with the added confidence you have made the best decision.

there are dentists in all sorts of fields. you'll get the exact same answer in the med or other forums. the fact of the matter is you'll need to supplement your training. for instance a mph, mba, phd. consulting, practice management, research, state dept of health. lots of opportunities the list goes on. a classmate of mine did a masters in medical informatics right after dental schol and now he's the director of med informatics at a hospital affiliated with our dental school.

There are lots of great opportunities for dentists, but mostly related to the practice of dentistry. That said, being a dentist does not preclude you from being a business person and doing both. Further, I like to think that dentists are pretty smart. Once you get past the idea that you must make all of the money with your own two hands, you will see the big world out there.

stay away from dentistry if you dont at least enjoy working with small areas. Craftsmanship is a big factor and if thats not something you enjoy, then you will be miserable. Dental specialties are all very related with the exception of OMFS and ortho. So there is a limited scope where you will be working (the oral cavity).

I shadowed many hours and have worked as a dental assistant. After talking to the dentists, hygienists, etc, I had a pretty good idea what dental school would be like and I still feel that way. You should know what you are getting yourself into when you make a decision like this. There is no excuse for ignorance when it comes to something like this.

Also, you can't live your life waiting for the next big thing. If you live your life saying, "It will be better when I get to clinic." You will be dissapointed that when you get to clinic it is very similar to when you were in pre-clinic. Only now, instead of plastic teeth, you are working on real teeth and there are more hoops to jump through. But then you will say "I can't wait to graduate, then it will be good." and the next statement will be, "Man, I can't wait to get out of debt and into my own office" and then "I can't wait to retire, then life will be good." And the next thing you'll know is that you are old, dying and wishing that you wouldn't of wished your life away and enjoyed the experiences you had and instead of waiting for the next big thing.

Well, that is my sermon for the day.

Damn good post. I think so many of us tend to think this way (at least I can relate). It's so hard to find a balance sometimes.

There are lots of great opportunities for dentists, but mostly related to the practice of dentistry. That said, being a dentist does not preclude you from being a business person and doing both. Further, I like to think that dentists are pretty smart. Once you get past the idea that you must make all of the money with your own two hands, you will see the big world out there.
Amen. Be proactive.

I think no job is perfect. Most professions end up bieng traps. You have to create your life outside of work.