does EK lull you into a false sense of security?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

javandane

He's so hot right now
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
looking over the AAMC exams, i'm thinking, hey, this all looks familiar. i wouldn't have gotten these questions correct had i not been using EK. then i began thinking about EK's mantra, that they provide only the relevant information, excluding extraneous garbage--only what's "on the exam." my guess is that much of their material is based on what is found on the AAMC exams. so, if you use EK, and grasp the material, you're bound to fair well on these, as they explicitly tell you what to expect. however, i'm wondering if this could prove fatal on test day, as the real deal will vary considerably from the practice exams. . . .

Members don't see this ad.

all test companies will prep a little extra on topics that have been covered on AAMC, that is only natural. however, i dont feel that EK was deficient in any major way... they make good prep materials, just be aware of some of their shortcomings, particularly in physics.

I think EK (or any company) call lull you into a false sense of security only if you "let" it...by that I mean you've still gotta practice AAMC tests and get to know what things are fair game for the MCAT to ask. I got the big Kaplan book from Barnes and Noble and used that to supplement EK.

dc

IndyZX said:
all test companies will prep a little extra on topics that have been covered on AAMC, that is only natural. however, i dont feel that EK was deficient in any major way... they make good prep materials, just be aware of some of their shortcomings, particularly in physics.

what do you feel are their shortcomings, particulary in physics?

i used nova physics and the kaplan comprehensive to supplement. go somewhere else for prep on the topics of energy/heat/thermodynamics.