Does every state have differ Psy D license requirements??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melon1129

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:Does every state have different Psy D license requirements? For ex: if I get my Psy D. in IL would I be able to practice in another state?

Members don't see this ad.

There's no difference between PsyD and PhD licensing requirements, if that's what you're asking. But if you are licensed in one state and want to practice in another, there are always additional requirements - at least taking a state test on laws/ethics, and some states may require other additional licensure coursework than others.

ok thanks! So, you get your license when you graduate with a Psy D or PhD? Or, you wait until you find a job somewhere and get licensed in that state?

Members don't see this ad :)
After getting a PsyD or PhD, you generally have to do a year (or two, in some places) of licensed work under supervision before sitting for a licensing exam.

The licensing is by "level"....so doctoral level, masters level, etc.

As for the requirements...each state is a bit different. Some require a total # of hours, others require # hours in no less than 12/24 months, etc. Some states require a provisional license before applying for an unrestricted license. There was a recent thread where I posted a link to a listing of all of the licensing boards, which my be worth checking out.