Population interests Psy D applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hcl21

Reaction score
As a Psy D applicant, how important is it to have a target population that you are interested in working with?

I have my personal statement centered around tailoring treatment to meet individual needs and mention my experience working with [XXX chronic condition] populations and my interest in working with people [who have YYY chronic condition] (no experience working with this population). There is opportunity to put in my statement that I am interested in working with populations with physical health conditions as many have comorbid mental health conditions. I am not specifically passionate about working with individuals with physical health conditions, however, I recognize the need for this kind of care and would be open to pursuing it.

I am interested in working with people [who have YYY chronic condition] but I also want to have flexibility and to be able to work with teenage/young adult populations without this condition as well. I also do not have a specific disorder or mental health condition I know I want to work with.

I feel that I am often asked about what populations I want to work with and am wondering if it would be better to have a target population in my applications or to not write about interest in this population, as I am not specifically passionate about it.

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re wise, you’ll look at the faculty’s information, and target your statement to their stuff. It’s preferable that you play to their narcissism.

If they ask about specific areas, you give them a question in response (e.g., “You know, I’ve read Dr. Smiths article about (intervention) in (health condition). I’m not sure I fully understood how that could be applied to specific populations. What do you think?”).

Says nothing, shows you have some interest in their work, shows you’re humble, and shows you’re willing to learn.

Reactions: 5 users
It will depend a bit on what you mean by "Psy D Applicant." If you are applying to large cohort FSPSs, specific goodness of fit with faculty will be much less of an issue- if at all- than if you are applying to smaller cohort and/or mentor model programs (which- if you are- begs the question why just applying to PsyD and not Ph.D. programs as well?)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It will depend a bit on what you mean by "Psy D Applicant." If you are applying to large cohort FSPSs, specific goodness of fit with faculty will be much less of an issue- if at all- than if you are applying to smaller cohort and/or mentor model programs (which- if you are- begs the question why just applying to PsyD and not Ph.D. programs as well?)
Could you clarify what FSPS means?

And if I were to apply to PhD programs as well but the faculty accepting students are not doing research I am interested in, is it worth still applying?

FSPS= free standing professional school (e.g. Psyd program not associated with a college or university).

It would likely be a waste of time and money to apply to a mentor model phd (or mentor model psyd, if those exist) program if you are not interested in similar area of research as prospective mentor. You'd be very unlikely to be accepted, and potentially unhappy if you were.

Reactions: 1 user
Could you clarify what FSPS means?

And if I were to apply to PhD programs as well but the faculty accepting students are not doing research I am interested in, is it worth still applying?

Unless your area is super niche, there are definitely faculty doing something similar to your area of interest somewhere, that are also likely taking students.

Reactions: 1 user
No. Why would Dr. Forney who does research in the biobehavioral implications of OCD want to take you, a student interested in (this is just an example don't come for me!) investigating sexual trauma in Irish immigrants? Dr. Forney probably has at least 50 other students interested in OCD applying to her lab, so your app will get tossed right in the bin.

For PhD programs, you are more or less applying to work with a professor, not applying to a program. You want to match your research with that of the professor. It doesn't have to be an exact match, but it should be close (e.g. if you're interested in child development and the research is investigating ADHD... there's definitely an overlap you can work).